Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you run in kilometers or miles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I use kms - converted long before I started running, and don't see any compelling reason to change back. If a plan is in miles, I get out the calculator, or convert on the fly like Ray. But if I'm doing a marathon in an imperial country I'll bring two pace bands, one in kms and one in miles, the latter mostly to check pace against the mile markers. That's the plan anyway - often stop looking after 24k/15m!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Rockyman7 wrote: »
    kms are for lycra tri guys and track fairies,miles are for runners...

Does that mean a name change then? Donadea 31.069m?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I grew up thinking about distances in miles, but through jogging, I've gradually switched to thinking in terms of kilometers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭positron

Kilometers absolutely.

I made my thoughts clear on DCM thread a while back. I am staying with Kilometers, please go away miles your friends yards, stones, pebbles, sovereigns, chains, pounds etc. Let's please move with rest of the world and leave that old British colony that has the sense to elect Trump as their leader. And Myanmar. Yeaap... US and Myanmar...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

I run in miles but cycle in kms. No idea why but both work.

• Advertisement

I've done a few 5 and 10ks and always use KMs. However, I know a few people doing marathons and out training for them and discussion is still always held in KM. although admittedly, people always round the KM. For example, a marathon is 42km, not 42.2km. If that makes sense.

I rarely ever hear of miles being used. Even in races where it's a mile race, everyone i know converts to km. I'm 29 and would hang around people usually around my own age or a tad older (mid 30s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've always trained in miles and don't see the need for changing that. I have found those who train in kilometers tend to use the higher value as if to brag to others when really they are only fooling themselves :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Ran in miles for 6 years, switched to Km last year.

Currently thinking that I should switch back as I'm running slower, ignoring the fact I am running less and am about 6kg heavier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Miles for me. I just like it. I see the benefit of km's in terms of more frequent feedback, but I like the tradition of miles. I won't be changing.

Would the majority of people who swear by metric know their waist size in metric without having to check it? Just wondering...

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Miles for me. I just like it. I see the benefit of km's in terms of more frequent feedback, but I like the tradition of miles. I won't be changing.

Would the majority of people who swear by metric know their waist size in metric without having to check it? Just wondering...

Nope, I guess that's because all trousers are in inches

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not really understanding what difference it makes what other people measure their pace and distance in. Its completely irrelevant. Use whatever you are comfortable with and stick with it. No need to change if you run a race abroad either. In Berlin all the markers were KM markers but I just used a pace band as its much more accurate than a GPS watch anyway.

To be honest on most of your runs you don't need to even keep an eye on your pace, run to effort and learn what the different paces feel like rather than being a slave to the watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

JohnDozer wrote: »

No, nor would we like to start ordering 473.176mls of Guinness please.

Doesn't change the fact that the metric system is far far superior to the imperial system in terms of precision, simplicity and accuracy.

I've always trained in miles and don't see the need for changing that. I have found those who train in kilometers tend to use the higher value as if to brag to others when really they are only fooling themselves :D

What nonsense.

Ironic though that you're scoffing at people for being preoccupied whilst being totally preoccupied yourself.

Just run.

Lazare wrote: »
    No, nor would we like to start ordering 473.176mls of Guinness please.

Doesn't change the fact that the metric system is far far superior to the imperial system in terms of precision, simplicity and accuracy.

568ml is a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    568ml is a pint.

Merica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,636 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah. They have different-sized millilitres in America. Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

16-oz pints over there! ;)

Just highlights the stupidity of the system really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,636 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Lazare wrote: »
    Just highlights the stupidity of the system really.
    I think the tiny American pints are just so cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

Does that mean a name change then? Donadea 31.069m?

No.
    The OP asked -Would be interested to know what unit system runners here use to track their training and races?
    he didnt ask anything about standardised race distances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not really understanding what difference it makes what other people measure their pace and distance in. Its completely irrelevant.

Maybe irrelevant for your own personal tracking but it creates a barrier for discussing and sharing plans, training progress (DCM novice thread) etc..

Just seems very odd that a different unit system is used as standard depending on the distance you're running.

One place where it would really bug me to use 2 different systems in on Strava, where I log all my runs. Your account has to be either metric or imperial and I have enough OCD to need to run an extra stretch up the road to round my 4.73km run up to 5km, or to round my 6.81 mile run up to 7miles. Flipping between two systems would be a mess! :o :P

Similar to this... :mad:

422820.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

J o e wrote: »

One place where it would really bug me to use 2 different systems in on Strava, where I log all my runs. Your account has to be either metric or imperial and I have enough OCD to need to run an extra stretch up the road to round my 4.73km run up to 5km, or to round my 6.81 mile run up to 7miles. Flipping between two systems would be a mess! :o :P

Set the autolap function on your watch to either (imperial) 1M or (metric) 1k and your Strava preference to the other.
    Then you can view the default view or laps to have the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

I have a pal called Myles. His nickname is, of course,

Kilometers :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Maybe irrelevant for your own personal tracking but it creates a barrier for discussing and sharing plans, training progress (DCM novice thread) etc..

Not sure how it creates a barrier. Why can't you discuss a plan with someone who uses a different system? It's not difficult as plans typically don't even talk about particular paces only the total distance will be in Miles/KM. It's not like plans have run 10 miles @ 7:20 m/m, it would be more like 10 Miles Steady, or 6 Miles Recovery or whatever.
    Just seems very odd that a different unit system is used as standard depending on the distance you're running.

There isn't a different system depending on distance, people use whatever system they are comfortable with no matter what distance they are running, again not sure why it makes a difference to anyone what system someone else would use.

But why would you need to flip between two systems? Pick one and stick to it.

There isn't a different system depending on distance

The poll seems to confirm there is a different standard system used for shorter and longer distances...

"I train mostly for 5-10km races"
    422823.png

"I train mostly for half-marathons or further"
    422824.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The poll seems to confirm there is a different standard system used for shorter and longer distances...

422823.png

422824.png

Makes perfect logical sense.

422823.png

422824.png

I don't think it confirms anything. The phrase "mostly" is key here. People don't change their unit of measurement based on the race they are training for. There was no option for "I train for all distances" or whatever.

I don't think the distance people are training for has any bearing on the measurement they use in their training runs.

The word "mostly" is to simplify the poll and seperate the responses to relatively "shorter" and "longer" distance runners.
    I don't think the distance people are training for has any bearing on the measurement they use in their training runs.

So you take it as cooincidence that from 82 responses to the poll there's a very strong sway to kilometers for shorter runs and a strong sway to miles for longer runs?

Well, myself and most people on here run all distances from 5K up to marathon so what section should I have voted in?

Are you saying you think people change how they think about pace/distance moth to month depending on what distance they are racing? Or are you saying that people who are newer to running (and probably running the shorter distances) would be more likely to use KM as a unit of measurement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The word "mostly" is to simplify the poll and seperate the responses to relatively "shorter" and "longer" distance runners.

So you take it as cooincidence that from 82 responses to the poll there's a very strong sway to kilometers for shorter runs and a strong sway to miles for longer runs?

No coincidence.

Races up to 10 k (circa 6 miles) are usually labeled and advertised in ks. Track races are completely ks apart from one.

Of course there are mile(s) races on the roads, but they are usually for distances that are kind of "made up."

4 miles, 5 miles....

10 mile road racing is common, but not as common as a 10 k road race.

4 miles, 5 miles is somewhat common, but not near as common as a 5 k road races and 10 k road races

The farther the race distance the rule-logic says that people start thinking more in miles...

I'd say for every 4 miles and 5 miles road races advertised there are 3-4 5 k and 10 k advertised road races.

Advertisement