Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you run in kilometers or miles?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well, myself and most people on here run all distances from 5K up to marathon so what section should I have voted in?

Whichever you do most of...

No need to overly complicate it - it's a simplfied poll to split the km/mile answers into 2 buckets.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Are you saying you think people change how they think about pace/distance moth to month depending on what distance they are racing? Or are you saying that people who are newer to running (and probably running the shorter distances) would be more likely to use KM as a unit of measurement?

I am asking why is it that most people who are running longer distances are using miles while most people who are running shorter distances are using using kilometers. Find it a bit odd, so posing the question to see why different runners are using different units of measurement.

The poll is to check the assumption in that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

J o e wrote: »
    Whichever you do most of...

No need to overly complicate it - it's a simplfied poll to split the km/mile answers into 2 buckets.

I am asking why is it that most people who are running longer distances are using miles while most people who are running shorter distances are using using kilometers. Find it a bit odd, so posing the question to see why different runners are using different units of measurement.

The poll is to check the assumption in that question.
    Maybe the majority of those doing longer distances are in the slightly older age group and grew up before we became good Europeans & changed to the metric system :p

Miles all the way for me except in my recent forays to the pool because the pool length is given in metres ....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

kilometers for me, i grew up in central europe and despite being here for years i can still not wrap my head around the imperial system.
    (actually, if i'm completely honest...i track my running in meters, new to running and have not yet managed to run even a single km in one go :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Kilometers up to 10k. Which makes sense - all training plans and markers are given in kilometers.
    Once I started going longer I switched over to miles. Mainly as the training plans I chose were based on miles. Also, 13 miles sounds less daunting than 21k. (Although 69,218 feet does sound impressive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I run in kms. I started into running using the Couch to 5k program so it had me running to km distances and time.

I've run mainly 5k's and 10k's and I think if they are your preferred distances there's little point in running those in miles and converting over and back.

I'm currently training for a half marathon and I printed my training plan and converted it into approx kms, and have trained so far in kms. I tried at the very start of the plan to run in miles but I didn't really like it, it felt very long even though it was only 3 miles!

I find running in km's and being a slowish runner like me, the km's go by quicker than the miles! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

When I started running I used kms (I am a slightly older french gentleman).
    But when I trained for a marathon I used miles because:
    • I only had a stopwatch (no gps) and in Ireland only miles are shown on marathon courses, so I could not pace myself using ks
    • websites and books in English giving advice for marathons use miles
    • most advice on boards (my source of advice) for marathons use miles

Until courses use ks signage systematically, I'll probably use miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Some of our training sessions can be 4x 1 mile or something like that but that's 4 x 1.609km for me. The 60s are over you hippies it's time to move over the the metric system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some of our training sessions can be 4x 1 mile or something like that but that's 4 x 1.609km for me. The 60s are over you hippies it's time to move over the the metric system.

Again, why the antagonism? What difference does it make what anyone else uses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I'm just kidding about, relax dude.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm perfectly relaxed thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, but historically the marathon is and always will be imperial...

Very rare to hear 42.x being used when talking about a marathon. That has nothing to do with metric or imperial. Just the way it is.....

So it would stand to reason that you would likely discuss it and your efforts and training in miles....

Same with half marathon. Who ever says 21 ks?

As someone who's lived in mainland Europe for the last 27 years I can tell you that almost everyone does! I understand that most Irish people will still think miles, especially for races over 10 miles.

To answer your question: Anyone outside UK and Ireland (and USA).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Who ever heard of a high kilometerage week? Miles and mileage all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Always run in miles even in races regardless of distant... 3.1 miles 6.2 miles 10 miles halves and full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I use this for paces. Have short cut saved with my running apps on phone

http://www.graemestewart.com/running-pace-and-speed-conversion-table/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Run in miles, cycle in miles

Started off running in km but the people I ran with used to run in miles and because I found it awkward as hell trying to concert stuff when they'd ask about what pace we were doing I eventually switched over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

One thing I will say, even though I run in kms all the time, I did appreciate not having the 35, 36, 37, 38 (you get the picture) countdown in Cork marathon. But that may have been cos I was with the pacers too. Dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I use km's but as a novice runner when I meet more experienced runners they seem to use exclusively miles.

The plan I'm following is in miles I've converted most of it , some workouts 4*1 miles for example i didn't want to round it up to do 4*2km so put the workout into garmin . I'm learning miles as I go 6:25 is about 4 pace , I'm sure if I keep mixing in miles workouts I'll just use both , it's a handy extra range to do workouts if nothing else .

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Just to to mix things up, yesterday I ran a chip-timed Mile race at 3:26 pace...:D

Was glad to see the half mile marker all the same!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement