Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title Deeds

Options
  • 19-07-2017 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought an apartment last year as a cash buyer and my solicitor kept the deeds. Now i'm planning on getting a mortgage to buy a new place and selling my current apartment. 

However this time around I'd prefer to use a different solicitor because I wasn't really satisfied with him during the process (not just me, he annoyed the vendor, vendor's solicitor and estate agent too). In order to get the deeds would i just be able to get them from the land registry or will I have to get in touch with him again? Something I'd prefer not to do, even if it is to inform him that I'll be using a new solicitor and to return the deeds to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,967 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Contact him, get the deeds. They are yours you can keep them in the press if you want although a fire proof box would be more advisable.

Just pick up the phone and ask for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Just give his name to the new solicitor. They will handle the file transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

Just wondering about storing deeds in a fireproof safe. What happens if they are stolen? I can't imagine the thief could lay claim to the house but what does happen in the event of theft or loss.

(FYI just bought a house and my solicitor does not store deeds and recommended fireproof safe or talking to my bank).

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I asked that recently with my sol. did the same as you bought with cash it makes no difference if you have the deeds or not as there in the registry.
    Its really just a piece of paper at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

...__... wrote: »
    I asked that recently with my sol. did the same as you bought with cash it makes no difference if you have the deeds or not as there in the registry.
    Its really just a piece of paper at the end of the day.

Thanks☺️

• Advertisement
Advertisement