Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Garda Recruitment 2017; Stage 2.

• 19-07-2017 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi guys, I thought I would set up this new thread for all of us going forward to stage 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

off topic to stage 2 but does anyone know the distance from where you live/grew up you are not allowed be stationed and would you be allowed move to the locality of your assigned station afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LD89

mrDerek wrote: »
    off topic to stage 2 but does anyone know the distance from where you live/grew up you are not allowed be stationed and would you be allowed move to the locality of your assigned station afterwards.

Not 100% sure but I think it's 80-100km away minimum and the distance decreases depending on your service i.e. After 5 years you might be in a position to look for a transfer to say 50km from your hometown

LD89 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I think it's 80-100km away minimum and the distance decreases depending on your service i.e. After 5 years you might be in a position to look for a transfer to say 50km from your hometown

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

LD89 wrote: »

I'm open to correction, but I'm pretty sure there are some exceptions to the general rule. I know a good few Guards who were stationed really near their homeplace after finishing up in Templemore. It might depend on where the greatest need is and if they have enough of a variety in the graduating class.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

Hey everyone.
    For people who have booked their stage 2 assessment, did you get the confirmation message from public jobs yet? Booked mine Tuesday but haven't received anything since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kerryman85 wrote: »
    Hey everyone.
    For people who have booked their stage 2 assessment, did you get the confirmation message from public jobs yet? Booked mine Tuesday but haven't received anything since.

You won't receive the confirmation email until the booking line has closed. They send all of the confirmation emails out together at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Yoop_ wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I'm pretty sure there are some exceptions to the general rule. I know a good few Guards who were stationed really near their homeplace after finishing up in Templemore. It might depend on where the greatest need is and if they have enough of a variety in the graduating class.

Ya from a few of the recruits i know from the last few classes they seem to be kept close enough i.e
    Cork recruits to either Limerick/ Waterford and vice versa

Dubs staying in and around Dublin

I guess no way of telling how it will work out in the future!

A lot depends on your family/relatives
    Form also, if you have an uncle with a pub in town X for example you will be kept away from there etc etc

kerryman85 wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

The fella I spoke to said it would be about a week's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ericoh97

I ranked 884 in the stage 1 tests, just outside the 550 mark, anyone know when could i expect to sit my stage 2 exam? Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Woody 123

Does anyone know exactly what's involved in Stage 2? I hear it's Verbal Reasioning and Logical Reasoning again. Would this be right?

Woody 123 wrote: »

Does anyone know exactly what's involved in Stage 2? I hear it's Verbal Reasioning and Logical Reasoning again. Would this be right?

Verbal Reasoning
    Logical Reasoning
    Job Simulation Exercises
    Report Writing

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ladybosskerry

ericoh97 wrote: »
    I ranked 884 in the stage 1 tests, just outside the 550 mark, anyone know when could i expect to sit my stage 2 exam? Thanks !

I rang central office after the results came out im ranked around the 1500's and was advised to be prepared for stage 2 the mid/end of August.....

is this normal?

Did anybody get that confirmation email that was meant to be sent out? I didnt,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rachel1995

I placed in the 900's and I just got an email for me to book in for Stage 2 so you probably have as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Rachel1995 wrote:

I placed in the 900's and I just got an email for me to book in for Stage 2 so you probably have as well!

I'm the same I'm placed in the 700s and I got my email today to book my stage 2 assessment. I never thought it would have been this quick.

vardy98 wrote: »
    I'm the same I'm placed in the 700s and I got my email today to book my stage 2 assessment. I never thought it would have been this quick.

Neither did I, I was at the very earliest expecting about 4 weeks away in late August

Exactly , I definitely thought it would be late August at the earliest, did you book your place yet? I'm going to do it tomorrow morning.

I placed in the 800's and just booked my stage 2 for august 8th

ericoh97 wrote: »
    I placed in the 800's and just booked my stage 2 for august 8th

Your probably in band 2, it's great things are moving.... have any of you done a preparation course?

If your looking to do a preparation course I can't recommend Test Preparations enough- Paul is brilliant I've done prep courses with him for Stage 1 and Stage 2 he really knows his stuff. I just got an email as well to book in for stage 2.

I havn't done one for stage 2 yet, I done one for stage 1 with careers services and I found it really good, I'm going to book the one on Wednesday in Cork for my stage 2 preperation.

Exactly I, I definitely thought it would be late August at the earliest, did you book your place yet? I'm going to do it tomorrow morning.

I'm the same I'm going to book tomorrow morning give me a chance to think about what day is best otherwise I will just take the first date they give me !!

I havn't done one for stage 2 yet, I done one for stage 1 with careers services and I found it really good, I'm going to book the one in Cork I think for stage 2.

The career services one for cork is on Wednesday morning!!!!

Did anybody get that confirmation email that was meant to be sent out? I didnt,

Not yet, but I think it will be in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jamie199323

Hey gang would anybody be interested in a what's app group ?

I did a preparation course with career services for stage 1 and found it worth every Penney, I'm going to the stage 2 preparation course Wednesday , can't recommend it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doncop

Does anyone know if we are made aware of what competencies we are scored on for the role play scenarios?

doncop wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we are made aware of what competencies we are scored on for the role play scenarios?

Do you mean the Job Simulation part? Similar to what we did at Stage 1?

Yeah lol sorry my head is gone!! So just to clarify we dont have a roleplay to do like some of the British police services, its just the same sort of job sim questions we got in stage 1?

Yep, as far as I know there's no roleplay aspect. Just a repeat of the job simulation questions. We should be getting the familiarisation material for Stage 2 soon so we'll know for definite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Congratulations to all who made it through.
    Myself and the rest of the crew at Fine Gael look forward to having you all to hide behind.

Yep, as far as I know there's no roleplay aspect. Just a repeat of the job simulation questions. We should be getting the familiarisation material for Stage 2 soon so we'll know for definite.
    Ah grand, makes ye thankful for these forums don't know how people could get through the process without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 damien205

Hi everyone. I am placed around 1700 place after stage 1 ....has anybody any idea roughly when I can expect to be called to stage 2 and how many weeks in advance of your stage 2 do they notify you by email about it. I've heard that more people have got invited to stage 2 and ill be away for a couple of weeks at end of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

damien205 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am placed around 1700 place after stage 1 ....has anybody any idea roughly when I can expect to be called to stage 2 and how many weeks in advance of your stage 2 do they notify you by email about it. I've heard that more people have got invited to stage 2 and ill be away for a couple of weeks at end of august.

Id say within 2 weeks, I got called and I was 1300's, much faster process than last campaign. Was just on the phone to book my round 2 test, was told there'd be more groups being called up in coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

Hi I've just booked in for the 8th of August for stage 2. This might be a stupid question but do you need to wear a suit for this part? Thanks in advance

foam wrote: »
    Hi I've just booked in for the 8th of August for stage 2. This might be a stupid question but do you need to wear a suit for this part? Thanks in advance

Suit is only for the interview, not needed for round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MountshannonTB

Hi lads, congrats to everyone that has gotten this far! Just one quick Q, a neighbour of mine is really after confusing me altogether. He's convinced that we could be called for November in Templemore, which I know can't be true. Anyone have any idea when our recruitment could be called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Hi lads, congrats to everyone that has gotten this far! Just one quick Q, a neighbour of mine is really after confusing me altogether. He's convinced that we could be called for November in Templemore, which I know can't be true. Anyone have any idea when our recruitment could be called?

No u won't be called for November. Earliest possibility would be January but even then that would probably be only a few of the top oom who were lucky enough to have everything complete

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Evannaoc

In regards to the stage 2 prep course, I can't make the next date, is the online course still worthwhile does anybody know? thanks 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Trish587

Evannaoc wrote: »
    In regards to the stage 2 prep course, I can't make the next date, is the online course still worthwhile does anybody know? thanks 😀

I'm the exact same I'm wondering has anyone tried the online course is it worth the €99

• Registered Users Posts: 4 damien205

Trish587 wrote: »
    I'm the exact same I'm wondering has anyone tried the online course is it worth the €99
    Yes just got it few days ago. Well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ammx

I booked my stage 2 for the 15th of August anyone else on that day that may be from Sligo or in around that area want to lift share? Thanks

Ammx wrote: »
    I booked my stage 2 for the 15th of August anyone else on that day that may be from Sligo or in around that area want to lift share? Thanks

around what OOM are you, im trying to figure out when i may be called, im around the 1600's

Guys has anybody any idea how they mark the Report writing. Is it like the aptitude tests where you have to reach a certain qualifying mark. Thanks.

There's a set amount of marks available for each aspect of the report and you have to get (I think) over 50% in each.

Yoop_ wrote:
    There's a set amount of marks available for each aspect of the report and you have to get (I think) over 50% in each.

OK thanks lad, and also does anyone no when you repeat the aptitude tests how close to your original score in stage 1 do you have to get, for example say I got 15 questions correct on the online test and I only got 13 or 14 correct in Dublin would you still pass as long as their isn't a huge drop or difference in the scores of the two tests. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about how close scores are, once there's no huge discrepancies you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maynooth101

anybody any advice or useful website links for the report writing section of Stage 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oskar.dd

Hey guys well done to all who passed the stage 1, anyone who has the stage 2 tomorrow? How's everyone feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Comphack

In a predicement guys. Little off topic

Ive just started a job on 19th of july. I am on holidays next week (booked march) PAS have asked i come in on 18th that morning.

Im off 10th 11th and PAS have no slots . What do i do ? Is there anyone who could swap with ?? I really dont want to go to my boss again saying i need a few hours off (have not even signed a contract yet i keep emailing HR) .

Any advice welcome.