Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2017; Stage 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Can anyone tell me how long the exam is? I'm booked in for 11.30 next Thursday but have to get the train back to Waterford for work at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

The exams are about 2 and a half hours long altogether, and then the orientation after them is about an hour, so the whole day is basically 3 and a half's long. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

New to this thread. Done my stage 2 on the 1st. The wait until the 25th is killing me! Best of luck to everyone else still to do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

Woody 123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick question. I have my stage 2 appointment tomorrow. The confirmation email i received says Time:13:45. Am i right in saying i have to be there an hour before this? i thought when i was booking the women said to be here an hour before your appointment.

Thanks for the help.

No, 15 minutes before are fine

Do you have to go to the orientation? What do they talk about in it?

Do you have to go to the orientation? What do they talk about in it?

It isn't compulsory, but it doesn't take long, and if you have questions you can ask the sergeant. He tells general info about AGS, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Euro100

What were yesterday's test's like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doncop

Anyone know roughly how long the report writing video is? Just done the Columbus police practice one on youtube to get into the swing of things and its about 7 minutes. A lot of information given in those 7 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

doncop wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly how long the report writing video is? Just done the Columbus police practice one on youtube to get into the swing of things and its about 7 minutes. A lot of information given in those 7 minutes.

the whole video is about 5 mins long but that includes an intro so there's approx 3-4 minutes of information gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MariaLols

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has tips or links for report writing for Stage 2?

I'm booked in for the 21st and just looking for a bit of help!

Thanks

• Advertisement

MariaLols wrote: »
    Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has tips or links for report writing for Stage 2?

I'm booked in for the 21st and just looking for a bit of help!

Thanks

sent you a Private Message

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Niamh0709

Hey.. Heading to do Stage 2 within the next 2 weeks.. has anyone who has done it already got any advice? I would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭wlynch1984

Niamh0709 wrote: »
    Hey.. Heading to do Stage 2 within the next 2 weeks.. has anyone who has done it already got any advice? I would really appreciate it.

Hey there,
    The verbal and numerical reasoning are very similar to what you did on stage 1,
    The report writing and job sim seemed ok but I would advise you to do a stage 2 prep course with career services, hope I helped you out with the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jaiire

wlynch1984 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    The verbal and numerical reasoning are very similar to what you did on stage 1,
    The report writing and job sim seemed ok but I would advise you to do a stage 2 prep course with career services, hope I helped you out with the advice
    Do you mean verbal and logical reasoning? There was no numerical one in the first stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ciarang55

Yes lads. I've got my email to book my test and I'm calling tomorrow to do so. im From derry myself and I'm just looking to know is this test the exact same as the stage 1 test? Just basically on paper this time round?

Yes lads. I've got my email to book my test and I'm calling tomorrow to do so. im From derry myself and I'm just looking to know is this test the exact same as the stage 1 test? Just basically on paper this time round?

ciarang55 wrote: »

No it's also done on a computer except it's in a supervised room.

As well as the verbal and logical reasoning there's also a job simulation exercise and a report writing exercise.

Read the familiarization material you were provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Clairec1213

Can anyone help me with the report writing aspect of the test? I'm really struggling to know if what I've written is good enough to pass. Thanks.

Hi im a bit concerned to continue pursuing a garda job as I've been informed you have to be able to speak irish to join. I literally know very little irish and just looking to know is this true to I have to be fluent to continue my progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Hi im a bit concerned to continue pursuing a garda job as I've been informed you have to be able to speak irish to join. I literally know very little irish and just looking to know is this true to I have to be fluent to continue my progress?

The Garda giving the presentation today at the round 2 exams said that foreigners have joined the ranks and managed the Irish. The way he talked about it would suggest it's nothing complex, just enough to conduct interviews, rod stops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Deedee27

Hi all just a question just heading into stage 2 on the 25th August the written report a little nervous my grammar and spelling would not be my strong side any tips most greatful

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SERunner

If I recall, you don't need Irish at all. You can qualify with Irish OR English as your primary language but you just need to have a proven proficiency in another language. (German, French, Italian). As long as it can be proven it should be fine. HOWEVER I THINK there is an oral exam for a Sergeant's position.

For anybody that has already done the stage 2 tests already, do your need to bring a printed copy of your letter or is it enough to have it on your phone?

Deedee27 wrote: »
    Hi all just a question just heading into stage 2 on the 25th August the written report a little nervous my grammar and spelling would not be my strong side any tips most greatful

There's something I don't get here: how is it possible that the results are out on the 25th of this month, if there are still going to be other slots of tests on that day?

Jaiire wrote: »
    For anybody that has already done the stage 2 tests already, do your need to bring a printed copy of your letter or is it enough to have it on your phone?

Showing them on your phone is fine but having it printed out takes almost no effort and speeds up the whole process on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 traceyf933

Hi guys!

First off congrats to everyone who got to stage two and doing exams over the coming months!

Just looking for any advice on best possible way to study for all aspects of stage 2?
    Mainly the new parts like report writing and the video watching?
    I have my exam on Monday and also need to book transportation so a rough idea also on how long I will be in there would be greatly appreciated :)

traceyf933 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

First off congrats to everyone who got to stage two and doing exams over the coming months!

Just looking for any advice on best possible way to study for all aspects of stage 2?
    I have my exam on Monday and also need to book transportation so a rough idea also on how long I will be in there would be greatly appreciated :)

The whole thing takes 3 hours, 3 and a half, more or less.

traceyf933 wrote: »

I think the total time is marked as 3 and a half hours including the talk beforehand.

In terms of studying you may be able to find a YouTube clip for a training video but it'll more than likely be in the US. I think the one that was mentioned not too long ago was from the Columbus Division of Police. Not sure if there's anything else I can add to that which would help.

Best of luck on Monday

Oruam wrote: »
    There's something I don't get here: how is it possible that the results are out on the 25th of this month, if there are still going to be other slots of tests on that day?

I'm almost sure depends what band or number your group is in but all in all I was told all results are out September 15th ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Susan3737

I'm almost sure depends what band or number your group is in but all in all I was told all results are out September 15th ðŸ™

We were told on our assessment day on the 8th we would have results on the 15th of sept

• Advertisement

Super nervous for stage 2 tomorrow. Absolutely dreading the report writing as I've been trying to practice the career services ones but god they are fast! Best of luck to anyone else doing it tomorrow :)

Anyone do stage 2 yesterday or today? How did you's find it? I did mine dis morning struggled a little with the abstract Reasoning even though they was my easiest one first round :(

Jaiire wrote: »
    Anyone do stage 2 yesterday or today? How did you's find it? I did mine dis morning struggled a little with the abstract Reasoning even though they was my easiest one first round :(

I found the whole thing extremely difficult except for the job stimulation. I don't have much hope for making it to the next stage.

I found the whole thing extremely difficult except for the job stimulation. I don't have much hope for making it to the next stage.

Rather surprised it was difficult as I've heard Career Services are supposed to be the best when dealing with the Stage 2 applicants.

It may just have been bad luck that you matched up with a few bad rounds of questions.

SERunner wrote: »
    Rather surprised it was difficult as I've heard Career Services are supposed to be the best when dealing with the Stage 2 applicants.

It may just have been bad luck that you matched up with a few bad rounds of questions.

I thought the verbal reasoning was the most difficult. I had done the course with career services but I do think I got a bit unlucky too. I'm glad it's over but disappointed because I knew I could've got better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blizgius

1. A print out or copy of your invitation to attend the Assessment Centre. Where can i find it, is it the whole document or the message we got on the publicjobs ?

Blizgius wrote:
    1. A print out or copy of your invitation to attend the Assessment Centre. Where can i find it, is it the whole document or the message we got on the publicjobs ?

Just print the message you got on public jobs

Super nervous for stage 2 tomorrow. Absolutely dreading the report writing as I've been trying to practice the career services ones but god they are fast! Best of luck to anyone else doing it tomorrow :)

How did you find the written report 😊

How did you find the written report 😊

It was fairly fast. The phone numbers come quickly. I thought I did alright on it but I got a little distracted at the video at first. But just write notes as soon as it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

Quick question guys, what do ye expect to be the pass mark for each the tests in stage 2 in %? It would be great if anyone knew.

• Advertisement

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Quick question guys, what do ye expect to be the pass mark for each the tests in stage 2 in %? It would be great if anyone knew.

There is no ''Pass Mark'' for the verbal and logical reasoning tests. You must recreate your score from stage 1 within a certain margin (I think it's 10%).

For the Job sim it's 400 out of 800 marks so 50%

For the report writing you must get a minimum of 50% in all the categories (accuracy, spelling, presentation etc.)
    It's all outlined in the familiarisation material and the notes for candidates.

Thanks very much for that MrBlack93, appreciate it.

It was fairly fast. The phone numbers come quickly. I thought I did alright on it but I got a little distracted at the video at first. But just write notes as soon as it starts.

Thanks hopefully it goes well mines on 25th really struggling with spelling really appreciate the feedback

Just finished my Stage 2 today.

Verbal and Logical reasoning were tough but not unforgiving.

I had a beautiful report with everything explained at a good pace so I managed to get everything.

Best of luck to everyone else sitting it in the coming days.

SERunner wrote: »
    Just finished my Stage 2 today.

Verbal and Logical reasoning were tough but not unforgiving.

I had a beautiful report with everything explained at a good pace so I managed to get everything.

Best of luck to everyone else sitting it in the coming days.

Just a question we're the verbal and logic the same kind of format to the online ones I'm doing mine tomorrow hope it goes well 😬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

Just a question we're the verbal and logic the same kind of format to the online ones I'm doing mine tomorrow hope it goes well ��

Yes, they're the same as those on Stage 1. Best of luck.

Yoop_ wrote: »
    Yes, they're the same as those on Stage 1. Best of luck.

Thanks a million only will know what it's like on the day fingers crossed 🀞

Hi Guys, not too sure how many people are yet to do stage 2. How do people think they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, not too sure how many people are yet to do stage 2. How do people think they did?

It was much more difficult than I expected. I'd be 50/50 in thinking I did enough to get through.

• Advertisement

canonball5 wrote: »
    It was much more difficult than I expected. I'd be 50/50 in thinking I did enough to get through.

Ya i was the same i thought it was trickier than expected and i would be on the same boat as yourself being 50/50. 3 weeks today and we'll know :/

Advertisement