Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ram for this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

ganmo wrote: »
    I'd say what you're seeing is that the singles are a bit heavier coming to mating time.
    That's the problem with fertility beeeding there's always an overriding environmental factor

in fairness there was only 4 in that group and agreed would of been heaviest in group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    in fairness there was only 4 in that group and agreed would of been heaviest in group

The small sample size is really what's skewing it. If just 1 of those with twins had a single your back to the same as the other groups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any ideas on what charollais x scotch lambs would be like? Only have two rams so dont want to split the flock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

DJ98 wrote:
    Anyone any ideas on what charollais x scotch lambs would be like? Only have two rams so dont want to split the flock.

Have a few here.good lambs enough.good shape to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Got my 6 new texel ram lambs don't need 6 really might just give them less ewes each... how many ewes would a ram lamb be fit for mid march born all 55kg+? Still have the charrlois for the ewe lambs and didn't sell the others that's getting the road yet... been looking for a Hampshire down but hard till com by in Donegal.... most seem till be across the border is it a lot off hassle buying outta the north? I heard b4 you've till go up till department here and in the north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lambman wrote: »
    Got my 6 new texel ram lambs don't need 6 really might just give them less ewes each... how many ewes would a ram lamb be fit for mid march born all 55kg+? Still have the charrlois for the ewe lambs and didn't sell the others that's getting the road yet... been looking for a Hampshire down but hard till com by in Donegal.... most seem till be across the border is it a lot off hassle buying outta the north? I heard b4 you've till go up till department here and in the north?

I'd say u should run two or three rams in teams together so to minimise the chance of empty ewes cause of infertility, do u have many ewes and do u have other rams

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Would 2 good 3yr olds not do the job of 6 ram lambs? And alot less feedin for the winter?

Yea there all from the same flock so there used together would be easier till run 3 together wi 65-70 ewes than 25 each... yea have a charrlois there for hoggets and still 2 older Texels but there getting the road.... 135 ewes 38 hoggets and still undecided wether till tip a few lambs.... yea ard_mc u are right but I'm gonna be expanding numbers between this and next year and wanted the rams coming off the 1 farm and used together hoping till have a closed flock from next year on aswell that's the plan anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Yea there all from the same flock so there used together would be easier till run 3 together wi 65-70 ewes than 25 each... yea have a charrlois there for hoggets and still 2 older Texels but there getting the road.... 135 ewes 38 hoggets and still undecided wether till tip a few lambs.... yea ard_mc u are right but I'm gonna be expanding numbers between this and next year and wanted the rams coming off the 1 farm and used together hoping till have a closed flock from next year on aswell that's the plan anyways!

Makes sense when you put it like that! Best of luck with the expansion..hopin by next year will be closed myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

What would anyone recommend for Cheviot X Suffolk ewe lambs. Never tried ewe lambs before so it'll be a new experience. Their hogget counterparts go back to a Suffolk but I think the mating might be too much for a start (recon 140kg + stock ram) and then possible lambing issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

anything other then a texel or Suffolk

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Jonny303 wrote: »
    What would anyone recommend for Cheviot X Suffolk ewe lambs. Never tried ewe lambs before so it'll be a new experience. Their hogget counterparts go back to a Suffolk but I think the mating might be too much for a start (recon 140kg + stock ram) and then possible lambing issues.

Charollais since they are easy lambing and are very hardy lambs (despite what some people tell you, we bought our first Charollais last year and were very surprised at how quick they are to get up and suck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Charollais since they are easy lambing and are very hardy lambs (despite what some people tell you, we bought our first Charollais last year and were very surprised at how quick they are to get up and suck)
    +1 good lambs to put on flesh too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Charolais are fine but try to find a strain of the breed that has some wool on the head. The baldy lambs die lie flies when young and soft in wet weather. Also found them to be prone to coccidiosis more than comrade vendeen lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Willfarman wrote: »
    Charolais are fine but try to find a strain of the breed that has some wool on the head. The baldy lambs die lie flies when young and soft in wet weather. Also found them to be prone to coccidiosis more than comrade vendeen lamb.

When we were buying the Charollais, everyone was telling us that they die easily if you are lambing outside. We lamb indoors but we were lambing a lot of Ewes outside since there was no room in the sheds during that very bad weather in March and we did lose a lot of lambs between drowning, hypothermia etc. But we lost as many Texel and Suffolk lambs as we did Charollais lambs. I found them extremely hardy considering they have very little wool on the head.

Lamb inside here as well but when the pressure was on and lambing pens were full ewes and lambs were being put out at 1-2 days old never lost none I also would agree there hardier than there given credit for... just look on done deal how many charrlois are on it they will be the most used rams in Ireland very soon if not already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Charlois advice all round it seems. I'm bringing suffolk rams to the sheep ireland sale so might just hang around and have a look at the charollais after

Vendeen. Grand woolly hardy lambs. And grade and kill out every bit as well as the Charolais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Willfarman wrote: »
    Vendeen. Grand woolly hardy lambs. And grade and kill out every bit as well as the Charolais.

Would you put a vendeen to ewe lambs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

I've never lambed Charolais outside but they're the easiest lambed and the quickest lambs to get up and suck I've seen here. Over the yrs we've had Suffolk, texal, Hampshire, vendeen, beltex, Romney, lleyn, belclare,Dorset, cheviot, horneys, mules, ille de france. That's my twopence worth. Not saying they're the best or my favourite but they've got fight in them when born and are very easy lambed.

• Advertisement

I've never lambed Charolais outside but they're the easiest lambed and the quickest lambs to get up and suck I've seen here. Over the yrs we've had Suffolk, texal, Hampshire, vendeen, beltex, Romney, lleyn, belclare,Dorset, cheviot, horneys, mules, ille de france. That's my twopence worth. Not saying they're the best or my favourite but they've got fight in them when born and are very easy lambed.
    That's some list off rams there haha... wat is the breeding in ur ewes and what rams do u run now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The charrollais are great for the hoggett that doesn't have a clue what's going on, they get up and suck. Its just a pity how they're so bloody cold

That's some list off rams there haha... wat is the breeding in ur ewes and what rams do u run now?

Well thats whats come through over the last 20 yrs!! Its all been trial and error as you cant knock a breed until youve tried them.;)
    We run belclare, lleyn, romney and a few mules horneys- 1/2 horney ewes and run belclare, lleyn and romneys rams on the maternal side and mostly charollais with a few hampshire and poll dorsets and 1 suffolk(with a small head)on the terminal side.
    All the ewe lambs go to charollais rams and never a bother lambing them.We find the hampshire and dorsets put great length and a great frame on lambs and the charollais grow quickly are easy lambed and kill out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

By the sounds of it the Charolais are easier lambed then the Hampshire ? Do you cross the llyen Romney and belclare back and forth ? Any preference on your favourite maternal ?

Yes I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Used to lamb 120 - 140 ewelambs here to Vendeen every year .....never a problem,

rangler1 wrote: »

Used to lamb 120 - 140 ewelambs here to Vendeen every year .....never a problem,
    Would u leave them all with a single lamb Rangler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

would try to foster alright, but 22 of them reared doubles this year, we'd usually treat the ones with doubles as a seperate bunch, feed them well and leave the singles without meal.
    This year however we gave everything about a kilo meal for three weeks, I think the ewes are the better of it now

rangler1 wrote: »

would try to foster alright, but 22 of them reared doubles this year, we'd usually treat the ones with doubles as a seperate bunch, feed them well and leave the singles without meal.
    This year however we gave everything about a kilo meal for three weeks, I think the ewes are the better of it now
    That's good going most hoggets here would get a taste a nuts for a few weeks aswell just easier till keep an eye on them never tipped ewe lambs here clipped the replacements last year with the intention off tipping them but the auld fella talked me outta it.

• Advertisement

They can rear 2 lambs but both hogg and lamb would need feeding.I prefer to leave them with one lamb but nothing here gets meal once they're at grass. It's worth putting them in lamb imo. Much easier managed when they lamb again at 2yo and better mothers.

Advertisement