Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor Lawnmower Help

Options
  • 19-07-2017 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

To all you guys in the know.

Need a Tractor lawnmower but budget is tighter than tight.

Been offered a Honda HF1211 at a reasonable price. Think it's 11HP with 28 inch cut.

My query however is whether this mower is big and strong enough for my piece of garden.

Have about 0.75 of fairly flat garden. Some small inclines but nothing much to mention. Mostly straight line cutting.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

As ride-ons go it's fairly small, but plenty of power for that width. I'd expect a Honda to be reliable. Are you buying it new? There is always an element of risk if second-hand, but the price should reflect this.

I used to have a similar sized (30") Wheel Horse mower for a 3/4 acre site and it was fine. In my case the 3/4 acre included the house and drive, so it wasn't 3/4 acre of grass.

I see from the specification that it has hydrostatic drive - this is a great feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

28" is quite narrow but the Honda engine is very reliable and so long as the deck is in good condition and the blades switch on and off without problems then go for it.

I bought an old Castle Garden ride on mower (12.5hp B&S engine and 40" cut) 7 years ago. It was roughly 10/11 years old st the time. I paid €600 for it at the time and I have spend zero on it since. I clean the spark plug each year and top up the oil when need be and it's never given a moments bother. If it were to die on me tomorrow I think I can safely say I've had my money's worth out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

If you don't have many obstacles, I would go for the biggest deck you can afford.

I also have 3/4 acre, but with a fair few trees and flower beds and one hilly section - although similar to blackbox, the acreage includes the house, garage and drive.

I have a Honda 2417 (40" Deck) and it's great for the most part. But I would have gotten a larger deck size if it wasn't for the obstacles - it really does save on time. I borrowed my neighbours' 48" deck mower whilst I was fixing mine, and the difference was noticeable.

As long as you aren't cheaping out, both Briggs and Honda engines are solid. Mine's a Honda GV530 and my neighbours is a Briggs Vanguard - both solid engines. Just service them properly. My local mower dealer (Shanley Mowers in Newcastle - excellent guys by the way) advised to only use Honda branded OEM oil filters with honda engines - apparently they've seen issues with pattern branded oil filters.

It's worth noting that Castelgarden essentially make the Honda branded mowers or at least used to (although obviously with a Honda engine), and so they present a cheaper option.

I'd definitely opt for hydrostatic drive (no gears) if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have a castlegarden ride on with 13hp Briggs and Stratton engine, bought new 15 years ago and it's been faultless, needed a new drive belt last year but that's all.

Advertisement