Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 positive tests

Options
  • 19-07-2017 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

As above, O/H took 2 tests on consecutive days, one was Lloyds own brand, the other was the non digital clear blue, both positive.

Last period was 6 weeks ago.

Doctor won't do the test until next week.O/H had a M/C in March.

She's 80/20 in thinking that she is.

Can anyone offer their opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

As above, O/H took 2 tests on consecutive days, one was Lloyds own brand, the other was the non digital clear blue, both positive.

Thanks in advance.

Are the lines strong? If so more than likely up the duff (congrats) as opposed to a chemical pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Are the lines strong? If so more than likely up the duff (congrats) as opposed to a chemical pregnancy

I only seen the clear blue test and it was very strong.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks Judeboy101

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks in advance.

She's pregnant. Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Well I know my doctor never did a pregnancy test on either of my pregnancies as she advised the tests you buy are more accurate than theirs and that there is no such thing as a false positive.
    Her last period being 6 weeks ago would put her at 6 weeks pregnant so a tentative congratulations.

She is probably just nervous due to the mc. I was the same, had an early mc before my first and was the exact same, was half afraid to believe the tests just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My gp told me they're never wrong really! Congrats!

• Advertisement

coffeyt wrote: »
    Well I know my doctor never did a pregnancy test on either of my pregnancies as she advised the tests you buy are more accurate than theirs and that there is no such thing as a false positive.
    Her last period being 6 weeks ago would put her at 8 weeks pregnant so a tentative congratulations.

She is probably just nervous due to the mc. I was the same, had an early mc before my first and was the exact same, was half afraid to believe the tests just in case.

Being a man I am fairly clueless with this stuff.

The period at the time was brown blood if that makes any sense?

She's fairly nervous being truthful.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

A period six weeks ago would make her six weeks pregnant however if the period was unusual she may find the dates are off.

A line is a line so she's definitely pregnant. If she's nervous about another miscarriage focusing on "today I am pregnant" can be helpful.

If you can swing it budget wise an early scan in about two weeks might put her mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Yes, definitely pregnant. Congratulations.

A period six weeks ago would make her six weeks pregnant however if the period was unusual she may find the dates are off.

A line is a line so she's definitely pregnant. If she's nervous about another miscarriage focusing on "today I am pregnant" can be helpful.

If you can swing it budget wise an early scan in about two weeks might put her mind at ease.

Yeah she's fairly nervous, i'm doing my best to reassure her, we have 3 children together at present, the dates have been anything from a few days to about 2 weeks out if i remember correctly.

our eldest was 2 weeks early but everything was fine from start to finish.

I'm not sure will the GP send her to the C.U.M.H more or less straight away as a result of the issue earlier this year.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think in terms of MC, they won't investigate unless you've had more than 3. I'd be surprised if they sent her straight to hospital TBH. Has she tried any of those Clear Blue tests with conception indicator - they say how many weeks from conception she is, so to find out how many weeks pregnant she is you'd add 2 weeks to that. Is there a private scan place near you guys that you could go to? The one near me in Dublin does early scans to confirm the dates, I had one at exactly 6 weeks.

Also in terms of the GP doing pregnancy tests, my GP didn't test me at all. I basically arrived in with a pile of positive tests and was like "I think I might be pregnant" and he just looked at them and went "Yeah, I'd say you are alright!" Apparently the likes of those 1st response ones are actually more sensitive than what they'll use in the GP anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Babyscan in Ballincollig do early scans for 100 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

AFAIK the testers can give a false negative reading but I don't think they can give you a false positive reading. Only the hcg hormone can turn it blue.
    Congratulations seem to be in order. :)

Toots wrote: »
    I think in terms of MC, they won't investigate unless you've had more than 3. I'd be surprised if they sent her straight to hospital TBH. Has she tried any of those Clear Blue tests with conception indicator - they say how many weeks from conception she is, so to find out how many weeks pregnant she is you'd add 2 weeks to that. Is there a private scan place near you guys that you could go to? The one near me in Dublin does early scans to confirm the dates, I had one at exactly 6 weeks.

Also in terms of the GP doing pregnancy tests, my GP didn't test me at all. I basically arrived in with a pile of positive tests and was like "I think I might be pregnant" and he just looked at them and went "Yeah, I'd say you are alright!" Apparently the likes of those 1st response ones are actually more sensitive than what they'll use in the GP anyway.
    Between the 2 tests i could have bought a digital clearblue but didn't.

I'll be buying one tomorrow.

Is there a maximum date on those such as 3-4 weeks?

As bee06 said, babyscan in Ballincollig which is a 20 minute drive from me, we actually went there for a gender scan on our son last year.

She has all the previous symptoms only this time she is much more tired, someone suggested that combined with how quickly the test turned positive it could be twins?

bee06 wrote: »
    Babyscan in Ballincollig do early scans for 100 Euro.

That place is great, thank you :)

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    AFAIK the testers can give a false negative reading but I don't think they can give you a false positive reading. Only the hcg hormone can turn it blue.
    Congratulations seem to be in order. :)

That's what i've been hearing also.

Thanks Sleeper :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The max those go up to is 3+ weeks. I think it shows 1-2 weeks, 2-3 weeks or 3+ weeks.

If she had a period 6 weeks ago, then she'd be considered 6 weeks pregnant. Unless her period was weirdly light or something, then maybe she could be further along. Give babyscan a call and they'll tell you when it's best to come in and they can confirm the pregnancy and see how many mini truck drivers are in there :)

Toots wrote: »
    The max those go up to is 3+ weeks. I think it shows 1-2 weeks, 2-3 weeks or 3+ weeks.

If she had a period 6 weeks ago, then she'd be considered 6 weeks pregnant. Unless her period was weirdly light or something, then maybe she could be further along. Give babyscan a call and they'll tell you when it's best to come in and they can confirm the pregnancy and see how many mini truck drivers are in there :)

Easy knowing i am clueless on certain aspects :pac:

Yeah 6 weeks ago, she said she "has/had the feel a period was coming but nothing is"

I just suggested babyscan and i was told once the gp appointment is done she will.

I hope they don't follow me into the trucking industry though :D

Again i apologise if any of you are confused by what i am saying, i'm literally writing everything as the boss woman is telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

If she is not 100% on whether she had a full period or not it could have been just slight bleeding which means she could be even further along.
    On my second pregnancy I had what I thought was a normal period and only realised I was pregnant on the next cycle.

My dates were always spot on and I always note them so was able to give exact dates BUT when I went for first scan at 15 weeks turns out I was actually 19 weeks along - I got to skip a whole month of pregnancy!!
    That last period even though it was the right time for my period was not actually a normal period so my dates were out by 4 weeks.

It can happen that you can bleed early in pregnancy not even knowing. She should definitely advise your gp that she is not definite on her last period and request a dating scan.

coffeyt wrote: »
    If she is not 100% on whether she had a full period or not it could have been just slight bleeding which means she could be even further along.
    On my second pregnancy I had what I thought was a normal period and only realised I was pregnant on the next cycle.

My dates were always spot on and I always note them so was able to give exact dates BUT when I went for first scan at 15 weeks turns out I was actually 19 weeks along - I got to skip a whole month of pregnancy!!
    That last period even though it was the right time for my period was not actually a normal period so my dates were out by 4 weeks.

It can happen that you can bleed early in pregnancy not even knowing. She should definitely advise your gp that she is not definite on her last period and request a dating scan.

I think, well from what i'm picking up on it anyway, she's classing the brown blood as a period.

She may possibly be like yourself then and further along.

Would the HCG hormone have gone back to zero by now from the M/C?

That is how she is thinking also.

The nurse is actually taking care of the test, referral on Monday, the GP tends to avoid those things.

Hopefully they'll speed things up, from referral to scan is about 4/5 weeks normally for us.

We'll most likely pay for a dating scan if the hospital appointment is as expected a few weeks away.

I have a child from a previous relationship also, when that girl was after getting it confirmed by the gp was sent straight out there for a scan, she was 20 at the time and to my knowledge to this day that was a first pregnancy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Would the HCG hormone have gone back to zero by now from the M/C?

Yes. It usually goes back to zero within a couple of weeks of a miscarriage. Mine were usually around the 10 day mark or so.

Congratulations!

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Yes. It usually goes back to zero within a couple of weeks of a miscarriage. Mine were usually around the 10 day mark or so.

Congratulations!

Thanks for that.

It all but confirms it then , just a scan needed.

I'm even nervous myself at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If she rings the hospital they may take her in for a scan in the early pregnancy unit, given that she had a miscarraige last time.Many of them do that.Maybe ring before you book privately?Also I had brown blood at 6/7 weeks in both (healthy) pregnanices.Best get a scan to see what the story is.

shesty wrote: »
    If she rings the hospital they may take her in for a scan in the early pregnancy unit, given that she had a miscarraige last time.Many of them do that.Maybe ring before you book privately?Also I had brown blood at 6/7 weeks in both (healthy) pregnanices.Best get a scan to see what the story is.

Thanks for that.

Booked in for the nurse now tomorrow so all will be confirmed then.

She wanted to wait for that before deciding what to do next which I strongly suspect is a scan.

My O/H took the spare test that was left over from last weekend.

She has asked me to post it here for the opinion of fellow boardsies.

Is this a strong line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭HazelBee

My O/H took the spare test that was left over from last weekend.

She has asked me to post it here for the opinion of fellow boardsies.

Is this a strong line?

Looks very positive to me!

HazelBee wrote: »
    Looks very positive to me!

Thanks HazelBee :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Congratulations! That looks strong to me!

First pregnancy trimester after a miscarriage is so nerve wracking. You can go for an early scan with the hospital, to reassure you.

My pregnancy after miscarriage I had 2 scans before the 12 week mark. I asked for the earliest possible scan, which I think was 6 or 8 weeks? I can't remember. Once they heard my reason they were lovely about it. But then at 11 weeks there was a bleed so I went straight in, they scanned me again and all was fine.

That was 6 years ago...not sure whether things have changed drastically since then. But if you don't ask, you don't get!

Congratulations! That looks strong to me!

First pregnancy trimester after a miscarriage is so nerve wracking. You can go for an early scan with the hospital, to reassure you.

My pregnancy after miscarriage I had 2 scans before the 12 week mark. I asked for the earliest possible scan, which I think was 6 or 8 weeks? I can't remember. Once they heard my reason they were lovely about it. But then at 11 weeks there was a bleed so I went straight in, they scanned me again and all was fine.

That was 6 years ago...not sure whether things have changed drastically since then. But if you don't ask, you don't get!

Thanks Hannibal,

The Mrs started crying reading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Yes that's very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

She has all the previous symptoms only this time she is much more tired, someone suggested that combined with how quickly the test turned positive it could be twins?

it can only be twins if you did it with her on top, then you on top!
    Be careful not to do it doggy style LOL

Advertisement