Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hardtail mtb for less than €1000

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm assuming it's this Vitus Sentier (there's a few 2017 Deore offerings, I just changed the product Id in the url to match your original link).

Assuming that it is the above, tbh I'd go with the Vitus over the Commencal; the spec is much better across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭DKILLER12

Lemming wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's this Vitus Sentier (there's a few 2017 Deore offerings, I just changed the product Id in the url to match your original link).

Assuming that it is the above, tbh I'd go with the Vitus over the Commencal; the spec is much better across the board.

Yep that is the one Lemming. Most people seem to agree.

What's your opinion on the 350 quid cheaper Bizango?

DKILLER12 wrote: »

I'll answer that in two parts. First off, from the specs, I'd still go with the Vitus. The Bizango is a mix and match of lower spec Shimano groupset components among others, and the front fork isn't as good as that found on the Vitus. For the sake of about 300 notes, the Vitus is a no-brainer. As an aside note, never, ever, ever underestimate the quality of your front-fork. It really makes a world of difference when doing anything technical; double that stement if the word "fast" is also included. Flexi-forks are NOT what you want when either cornering or grabbing a fistful of brake-lever.

Secondly, I'm not convinced on halfors bikes as a general rule of thumb. Not because I think they're bad bikes per-se but more value for what you're paying and more importantly what sort of experience you're going to get when things break. I've known others, including my brother, to regret their purchases because it saw them locked into Halfords for parts or warranties (or attempted warranties as the case may be unless you are prepared to dig your heels in)

Lemming wrote: »

I'll answer that in two parts. First off, from the specs, I'd still go with the Vitus. The Bizango is a mix and match of lower spec Shimano groupset components among others, and the front fork isn't as good as that found on the Vitus. For the sake of about 300 notes, the Vitus is a no-brainer. As an aside note, never, ever, ever underestimate the quality of your front-fork. It really makes a world of difference when doing anything technical; double that stement if the word "fast" is also included. Flexi-forks are NOT what you want when either cornering or grabbing a fistful of brake-lever.

Secondly, I'm not convinced on halfors bikes as a general rule of thumb. Not because I think they're bad bikes per-se but more value for what you're paying and more importantly what sort of experience you're going to get when things break. I've known others, including my brother, to regret their purchases because it saw them locked into Halfords for parts or warranties (or attempted warranties as the case may be unless you are prepared to dig your heels in)

Well then that's that, probably wiser to just dish out the extra couple of hundred to save myself from any of that hassle. It was the one concern I did have with the thought of buying from Halfords and you just confirmed it.

Well then that's that, probably wiser to just dish out the extra couple of hundred to save myself from any of that hassle. It was the one concern I did have with the thought of buying from Halfords and you just confirmed it.

On a practical note rather than my prejudice towards Halfords bikes, if you were to upgrade that Suntour fork at a later date, you'd end up spending much of any €300 saving if not more. Same for componentry upgrades. A front & rear brake upgrade alone will eat about half (or more) of that saving.

Edit: removed bolt-thru axle comment as the Suntour is in fact also 15mm bolt-thru.

• Advertisement

That is true, are suntour forks of any use at all? Just so happens that I've only just been recommended to take a look at the Ragley Marley 2.0 HT as a bike to fit my needs. Just had a glance at it's specs and it using suntour airs over rockshocks.

That is true, are suntour forks of any use at all? Just so happens that I've only just been recommended to take a look at the Ragley Marley 2.0 HT as a bike to fit my needs. Just had a glance at it's specs and it using suntour airs over rockshocks.

I'll need to update my knowledge of Suntour forks apprently; they've been making efforts to sort their lives out post 2011 regards their lower & middle-tier offerings according to discussions I've read on the likes of singletrack. The Suntour budget forks (XCR, XCT forks, etc.) are still pants, although the Radion is half-decent apparently, althouh the RockShox Recon Silver is still going to come out tops because it has motion control damping. RS forks are also easier to maintain & repair.

Edit: tbh, before we lose sight of the bigger pitcture and get lost in discussions on the technical merits & de-merits of front forks, of the three bikes placed in front of us, I think the Vitus has both the best overall package of components hanging off it, and at the best price of the three bikes given comparisons.

Advertisement