Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Rugby World Cup - August 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Try Walleroonios.

This shall be squeaky of the posterior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

19-17 to Ireland with seven minutes left.

Converted, 19-17

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Just when you think Ireland should be putting this to bed its Ireland 19-17 after an Australia try and conversion

Shocking hand in the ruck, they need to cop on in the broken stuff

Stapleton making poor decisions under pressure again hangover from 6N is there. Ireland cant afford that timelag in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Great to start it with a win.

The rotten GoalKicking in the first half cost Australia.

Ireland win, nice tricky one to break the ice. A few great individual showings but lots to work on.

Maz Reilly for Woman of the Match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Great result. Bring on Japan!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hopefully that settles them a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fantastic performances by Griffin and Molloy in the last quarter to bring the game home. Griffin must have carried the ball 20 times in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Bit biased but Naoupu was incredible all game. Jeez that was nervy stuff and not pretty a lot of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ireland were their own worst enemies today. Decision making was very poor from the half backs. Possession is a weight that they are not capable of carrying in their own half. This was a problem in the past that doesn't seem to have been resolved.

Reilly, Murphy, Peat and Molloy all excellent as usual.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great result,

Ireland don't tend to play percentage rugby through nora's boot though. I think they might have to add that dimension for the French game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Well thank fcuk for that! I was getting a bit worried there. Good start, need to be a lot better going forward.

• Advertisement

RTE panel of the view that mixing up the pack was a big mistake, the skills werent there to match the zippier lighter options, so France can expect to face a very orthodox team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    RTE panel of the view that mixing up the pack was a big mistake, the skills werent there to match the zippier lighter options, so France can expect to face a very orthodox team

I agree. It wasn't balanced. Baxter is a fantastic winger, but she's untested at international level in the back row. Fitzpatrick and her ball carrying/rucking was missed - she was under utilised in the second row. Molloy had a great game, but heather o'brien was a bit anonymous. For France I'd go griffin, molloy, fitz with spence and maz in the row. O'Connor put in a great shift, Egan seemed a bit off. I'm biased against moloney cos she's keeping my buddy on the bench but her line outs were fab, no complaints. However seeing Australia struggling with the power of O'Connor I think Lyons could have run riot against a tiring Aussie team.

Sene was quiet until Murphy went off. Thought considine was a bit "at sea" and Tyrrell was caught for positioning once or twice.

But overall a wins a win. Onwards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Australia excellent with ball in hand and good physical defense but weak set-piece and poor kicking game (a trait common in the womens' game but particularly poor in Australia's case). They reminded me a bit of Fiji men's team.

As for Ireland, we'll need to show more. A decent set-piece and a relentless pick and go game won't get them far in this competition. But their back-play lacks variety and I fear that won't change during the course of this tournament as it has been fairly stale and impotent for a while now. Too much is being asked of the forwards in terms of scoring anyway.

All in all, satisfactory but still no signs that we are capable of winning this thing.

Steed, Cantwell and Foley are actually merciless on the team without the spoofing of the likes of Hook, cold hard analysis, no regard for leftover friendships they might have with the squad. Its very refreshing. Can be summed up as, 'ye are way better than this in the following ways, get ye'r sh1t together!'

Lynne Cantwell is cheerleading a team bonding session using firearms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

donfers wrote: »
    Australia excellent with ball in hand and good physical defense but weak set-piece and poor kicking game (a trait common in the womens' game but particularly poor in Australia's case). They reminded me a bit of Fiji men's team.

As for Ireland, we'll need to show more. A decent set-piece and a relentless pick and go game won't get them far in this competition. But their back-play lacks variety and I fear that won't change during the course of this tournament as it has been fairly stale and impotent for a while now. Too much is being asked of the forwards in terms of scoring anyway.

All in all, satisfactory but still no signs that we are capable of winning this thing.

I don't think that was ever on the cards. Beating France and getting to a semi-final would be a very good achievement.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Steed, Cantwell and Foley are actually merciless on the team without the spoofing of the likes of Hook, cold hard analysis, no regard for leftover friendships they might have with the squad. Its very refreshing. Can be summed up as, 'ye are way better than this in the following ways, get ye'r sh1t together!'

Lynne Cantwell is cheerleading a team bonding session using firearms!

Same with Coghlan when she's commentating. No holds barred. She's very critical and it's a breath of fresh air :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I really enjoyed that. It was the first game of women's rugby that I've ever watched and whatever was lacking in skills was more than made up for in commitment. I'll be watching the rest of the Irish games now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Corks calling it like he sees it, and he has a point.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/womens-rugby-world-cup/i-find-watching-the-game-arduous-former-ireland-international-in-controversial-rant-about-womens-rugby-36014744.html

The headline is provocative, suggesting a rant - his view is pretty well reasoned and coldly honest.

What irks or even vexes me more, is the positive discrimination stance in the media, one, suggesting the rugby is of a high standard (playing population is so small it must be at the level of the bottom rung of mens amateur rugby), and two, the wide reporting of it with the idea that just because there is a large following for mens rugby, people are interested in the ladies version. To be fair though, this is a problem that pervades coverage of a lot of women's sports. Ireland still not as bad as the UK though - media coverage there is almost gone to a one-article-one-mens-rugby, must have one-article-on-womens-rugby whether to avoid accusation of bias.
    Still, kudos to Cork Con's finest for being willing to speak up.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/womens-rugby-world-cup/i-find-watching-the-game-arduous-former-ireland-international-in-controversial-rant-about-womens-rugby-36014744.html

The headline is provocative, suggesting a rant - his view is pretty well reasoned and coldly honest.

What irks or even vexes me more, is the positive discrimination stance in the media, one, suggesting the rugby is of a high standard (playing population is so small it must be at the level of the bottom rung of mens amateur rugby), and two, the wide reporting of it with the idea that just because there is a large following for mens rugby, people are interested in the ladies version. To be fair though, this is a problem that pervades coverage of a lot of women's sports. Ireland still not as bad as the UK though - media coverage there is almost gone to a one-article-one-mens-rugby, must have one-article-on-womens-rugby whether to avoid accusation of bias.

He is entirely entitled to his opinion. Women's rugby isn't for everyone.

However saying that "god didn't make women to be tackled" is just pure sexist drivel, IMO. Last time I checked it wasn't compulsory for anyone to watch any sport on the TV. It would appear that he is just being controversial for the sake of it.

Edit: ever think that England have a reason to want to write articles about their world champions/6nation grand slam winning/professional women's rugby team?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The article is pure sexist drivel.
    It shouldn't even be considered as a point.

It's backward and sexist and should be binned

'Gods' intention has no place in 2017 sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

The article - or Facebook rant to describe it accurately is based on antiquated notions of what women "should" do. Not playing contact sport because some guy thinks it's too aggressive for delicate ladies...ffs it's 2017.

As for your comment on positive discrimination, well that is how sports, men's or women's grow. Visibility tends to increase participation, which raises standards and brings some of the money needed to implement more professional standards, which in turn leads to increased levels of performance. It has been done for plenty of men's sports, rugby union included and I, for one, am very happy to see this being implemented for women's sport. Honestly I'd like to see it done more often.

I've always felt that rugby has been pretty welcoming of its female fans, many of whom ARE interested in the women's game. Why not cater to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Him referring to them as "girls" and to "ladies mma and ladies boxing" kinda sums up the piece
    A load of sexist ****

Honestly don't think its even worth discussion to on here. Its a collection of meandering thick statements that dont make any cohesive point. I struggle to understand why I should care about his opinion on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

Del.Monte wrote:
    I really enjoyed that. It was the first game of women's rugby that I've ever watched and whatever was lacking in skills was more than made up for in commitment. I'll be watching the rest of the Irish games now.

2nd time I've seen them. Very committed and honest bunch of girls.
    It's exciting watching it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Him referring to them as "girls" and to "ladies mma and ladies boxing" kinda sums up the piece
    A load of sexist ****

I played rugby with a team in the top of the league very early in the evolution of the womens game here in the mid nineties. Now I wasn't great, but I was very fit, and I was a good sub.

We regularly finished training to be met with bollock naked male players emerging from their dressing room with no consideration for the fact that the female team were training, granted it was a different time

Equally we regularly had friendlies with lesser teams, I remember one such friendly where the lesser team were so poor that we ended up playing sevens due to the amount of injuries they suffered (I think three ambulances were called, and I ended with a broken finger)

Twenty years odd later, the game has evolved hugely on the womens side to the point that Ireland are hosting the world cup, we have our women players being feted in the national press with profiles of players in advance of the world cup, and nationwide coverage of the tournament.

So I say **** the bedgrugers, celebrate the rising of a minority sport, appreciate the almost full attendacne tonight compared to the last womens world cup, appreciate that it's an all ireland effort, and above all else support the team.

I was supposed to be on a date night with the OH tonight, and we had our date, but once I saw the match was on where we went out I watched it, got chatting to the aul fella beside me who was trying a wind up whinging that his wife wasn't into it but follows the men and there were loads of guys avidly watching.

I've watched the Irish women play games where I wish the male team emulated them, on their day they are a superb team to watch, and quite frankly their gender has nothing to do with it.

My OH who has little exposure to women playing rugby was just as interested in the result regardless that they were women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

My first ever time watching a womens rugby game i really enjoyed it.they gave it everything which is more than can be said watching the mens team at times tbh.Will defo watch the rest of the games.As for the news article do somepeople just want women at home cooking and cleaning?women are just as capable as men even more so in some ways.think the piece takes a bit away from the game a little.get behind the team is what i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Delighted to get the win, but I thought Muldoon (I know, she scored) and Stapleton were poor and never varied the play with the result that the midfield was always receiving the ball under huge pressure. There didn't seem to be much of a kicking option either.

Hippo wrote: »
    Delighted to get the win, but I thought Muldoon (I know, she scored) and Stapleton were poor and never varied the play with the result that the midfield was always receiving the ball under huge pressure. There didn't seem to be much of a kicking option either.

They certainly missed the boot of Briggs for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

10 minutes left, 19-10 to Ireland, somewhat dubious hmmm try by Sophie Spence

How was it dubious? The ref was in a great position to see the grounded ball and checked to make sure he hadnt missed anything prior to that like a double movement or a block.

He asked question 2. Any reason not to award the try. So given his positioning and question asked he obviously saw a grounding.

They definitely miss Briggs' kicking but she's been gone a while. I know she was involved in camp so likely they'd planned for her presence, but they should have learned their lessons in the 6 Nations about that. And as brilliant as they are, noone should be planning for Briggs or Murphy being there as they've wrecked themselves for their country.

They spent the first 15 minutes after half time stuck in their own half failing to make ground. Possession is great but its also dangerous, especially when you're going backwards. As your phase count increases your likelihood of conceding scrums or penalties increases and your likelihood of scoring decreases. It was only a matter of time before the pendulum swung against them with that Aussie try. To make matters worse they were playing against an inexperienced Aussie side who were there to be taken advantage of in the back 3 and in the set piece (and our lineout caused them serious problems). We never should have been going through more than 3 phases in our own half, we should have been putting the ball down the field.

Sounds very critical but its really just one major problem I had with the performance. They could have won that game by far more if they'd made better decisions with how they used the ball. There are some other areas that set them apart from the elite teams but if they get their decision-making right they'll put themselves in with a chance of beating anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hippo wrote: »

Yeah the half backs service tended to be far too slow. There was regularly space on the wings as the Aussies went narrow and got their midfield up quickly (haven't seen it on the tele but would be curious to know whether the Aussies were onside all the time or not). Their midfield defence killed most of our opportunities before they had a chance to get off the ground. And the few times we managed to get past the midfield either they had the chance to cover across or some poor decision making cost us. 2 of their 3 tries came from needless turnovers in our own half. Their first was a cracker though. Some pass from the full back.

I was surprised by the physicality the Aussies brought tbh. If there was ever a game Corkery should be watching to get over his issue with women taking contact it was that one. Some serious aggression from both sides. Some of Murphys hits in particular were massive, although she did get sucked in a couple of times and opened gaps for the Aussies.

Overall the first half was poor enough. Ireland seemed to really struggle to get into it and Australia couldn't convert pressure into points. But the second half was very enjoyable. Thought Molloy had a fine game, but don't think Baxter at blindside worked. She fell off a good few tackles. The scrum struggled but their TH was very high a lot of the time I thought. She was half standing up in some of the engagements. Griffin was excellent when she came on and Spence did make a real difference too. I also couldn't help but think had Miller gotten a bit more (and better) ball in space she could have done some real damage.

Have to mention the atmosphere at the game too. It was my first womens game (despite intentions to go for years :o) and it a really great atmosphere. There was a closeness between the supporters and the players that was genuinely great to see and it was just a very enjoyable evening. Looking forward to Sunday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched the Ireland game and the England game, they were comfortable winners against Spain even though they looked a bit rusty.

Union really isn't my cup of tea, but both games I saw yesterday were entertaining. More free flowing than the men's game, much less stop start and played at a really good pace.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They definitely miss Briggs' kicking but she's been gone a while. I know she was involved in camp so likely they'd planned for her presence, but they should have learned their lessons in the 6 Nations about that. And as brilliant as they are, noone should be planning for Briggs or Murphy being there as they've wrecked themselves for their country.

They spent the first 15 minutes after half time stuck in their own half failing to make ground. Possession is great but its also dangerous, especially when you're going backwards. As your phase count increases your likelihood of conceding scrums or penalties increases and your likelihood of scoring decreases. It was only a matter of time before the pendulum swung against them with that Aussie try. To make matters worse they were playing against an inexperienced Aussie side who were there to be taken advantage of in the back 3 and in the set piece (and our lineout caused them serious problems). We never should have been going through more than 3 phases in our own half, we should have been putting the ball down the field.

Sounds very critical but its really just one major problem I had with the performance. They could have won that game by far more if they'd made better decisions with how they used the ball. There are some other areas that set them apart from the elite teams but if they get their decision-making right they'll put themselves in with a chance of beating anyone.

What stood out was that early in the second half there were 2 great kicks, a touch find down the right and a kick for territory into the Aussie 22 down the left. Both were exactly the right things to do at the time and yielded great results. And then weren't to be seen again bar one kick for territory down the middle IIRC.

If Miller gets the ball in space she's incredibly dangerous but its rare enough these days. Murphy and Naoupu don't have the skillset to make that happen and neither does Stapleton really. When we won that grand slam it was Murphy and Cantwell inside Miller. Murphy (despite being new to the sport) kept sides very narrow and Cantwell had the ability to put Briggs/Miller into space. That was the best the backline ever looked. It's a lot more direct now and they need to adapt to take advantage of that.

Maybe Louise Galvin at full back could be looked at against Japan to offer a second pivot but it'd be a tall order for her to adapt to 15s that quickly (and their 7s-obsessed bosses might well think this competition isn't important enough to be risking their captain)

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah the half backs service tended to be far too slow. There was regularly space on the wings as the Aussies went narrow and got their midfield up quickly (haven't seen it on the tele but would be curious to know whether the Aussies were onside all the time or not). Their midfield defence killed most of our opportunities before they had a chance to get off the ground. And the few times we managed to get past the midfield either they had the chance to cover across or some poor decision making cost us. 2 of their 3 tries came from needless turnovers in our own half. Their first was a cracker though. Some pass from the full back.

I was surprised by the physicality the Aussies brought tbh. If there was ever a game Corkery should be watching to get over his issue with women taking contact it was that one. Some serious aggression from both sides. Some of Murphys hits in particular were massive, although she did get sucked in a couple of times and opened gaps for the Aussies.

Overall the first half was poor enough. Ireland seemed to really struggle to get into it and Australia couldn't convert pressure into points. But the second half was very enjoyable. Thought Molloy had a fine game, but don't think Baxter at blindside worked. She fell off a good few tackles. The scrum struggled but their TH was very high a lot of the time I thought. She was half standing up in some of the engagements. Griffin was excellent when she came on and Spence did make a real difference too. I also couldn't help but think had Miller gotten a bit more (and better) ball in space she could have done some real damage.

Have to mention the atmosphere at the game too. It was my first womens game (despite intentions to go for years :o) and it a really great atmosphere. There was a closeness between the supporters and the players that was genuinely great to see and it was just a very enjoyable evening. Looking forward to Sunday now.

The scrum struggled but it was on our tight head side. It was one thing Fiona Coghlan commented on, how surprised she was that Egan wasn't adapting.

Glad you enjoyed the atmosphere at the game. I'm raging I missed it. I was meant to go with my mam but she ended up in hospital unexpectedly and she only got out yesterday and there was no way she could have made it so I gave the tickets to someone else. Hopefully we'll pick up tickets for one of the other games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Checks date. 2017 not 1967.

If Miller gets the ball in space she's incredibly dangerous but its rare enough these days. Murphy and Naoupu don't have the skillset to make that happen and neither does Stapleton really. When we won that grand slam it was Murphy and Cantwell inside Miller. Murphy (despite being new to the sport) kept sides very narrow and Cantwell had the ability to put Briggs/Miller into space. That was the best the backline ever looked. It's a lot more direct now and they need to adapt to take advantage of that.

Maybe Louise Galvin at full back could be looked at against Japan to offer a second pivot but it'd be a tall order for her to adapt to 15s that quickly (and their 7s-obsessed bosses might well think this competition isn't important enough to be risking their captain)

Murphy is not a 13. She's a crash ball specialist. I'd say she's moved to 13 for defence duties. But a backline of Muldoon, Stapleton, Miller, Naoupu, Considine, Tyrell and Galvin, with Murphy on the bench to be unleashed would be a force to be reckoned with!!!

Can I also just comment on how fantastic it is that there is an actual discussion about the different players and that regular posters are watching the game and enjoying it. I've been involved in women's rugby since 2004 and this week is warming the cockles of my heart seeing the response of the nation :o

sullivlo wrote: »
    Murphy is not a 13. She's a crash ball specialist. I'd say she's moved to 13 for defence duties. But a backline of Muldoon, Stapleton, Miller, Naoupu, Considine, Tyrell and Galvin, with Murphy on the bench to be unleashed would be a force to be reckoned with!!!

There's no way Naoupu would start ahead of Murphy if they were both fit. Also a bit of a risk to have her on the bench with her injury problems.

If Murphy gets a bit more luck with injury after the competition I think we might see her move back inside but it'd require them to develop another 13 and that'll take a while. Murphy has the benefit of having learned off one of the best to ever do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What a great game, obviously Ireland under performed but for a new fan watching it had all the intensity required to be captivating. August is perfect for this, every rugby fan I knew was watching. During the 6n the lads get a bit rugby fatigued and don't watch the women, but right now there is nothing else on.

I also notably have a separate cohort of friends from college who significantly prefer to watch women's rugby, and they're loving the heightened position of knowledge they hold over us!

Anyway, as for the game. I agree with IBF. Miller is by far the most dangerous of the backs, she's the only one who seems to have elite level pace. After her Molloy is the quickest and most balanced runner, and she's a backrow! I think the team could all work on their body position after contact. Players presenting the ball on the wrong side etc was part of why we were being hammered at the breakdown.

• Advertisement

My first ever time watching a womens rugby game i really enjoyed it.they gave it everything which is more than can be said watching the mens team at times tbh.Will defo watch the rest of the games.As for the news article do somepeople just want women at home cooking and cleaning?women are just as capable as men even more so in some ways.think the piece takes a bit away from the game a little.get behind the team is what i say

Pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen is what some of the Neanderthals want. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Del.Monte wrote: »

Will you be pretending to be from New Zealand and punctuating everything with weak jibes and big grinning smileys all the while or is that just for the men's game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

That second half was absolutely dying for some territory.

Ball should have been booted to touch. Maz stole 5 lineouts. Put the aussie lineout under pressure in their own half and get a foothold. That ball should have been shoed by Stapleton or even a box kick.

The Aussie rush defense was very quick and we didn't adapt to it. But they left a lot of space out wide. Screen runners behind a pod of forwards would have negated the rush defense and left them vulnerable out wide

Will you be pretending to be from New Zealand and punctuating everything with weak jibes and big grinning smileys all the while or is that just for the men's game?

I have never in my life pretended to be from NZ so I don't know what's brought this on? Wrong side of the bed this morning?

As for my use of 'big grinning' smileys why don't you campaign to have them removed from Boards if they upset you so much?

As for 'weak jibes' - anything in particular upset you because I can't remember any particular post but then I have a life outside of Boards. And just for you. :p

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pickarooney, Del.Monte, enough of the digs at each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement