Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Rugby World Cup - August 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Now...anyone know where I can watch France V Australia...it's not on eir

It should be on Eir Sports 1 according to the RTÉ Guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

It should be on Eir Sports 1 according to the RTÉ Guide.

Yeah I thought that they were showing all the games but its not on their own guide at the moment...hopefully something wrong and it'll be on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

No, looks like they are covering the golf instead on eir sport 1!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

That Irish player Lyons really made her bulk count in coming off the bench. She definitely needs to start against France.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Could be a 60 point stuffing against France if they don't pull out a big performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

48-zip to France tonight v the sheilas, sobering for Mr Tierney and his charges.

No more room for tinkering and blooding, the best most experienced women need to start in their primary positions within proven partnerships. Our set piece has regressed and thats unacceptable so it'll have to be the game of a lifetime from everyone to keep in touch with the French. And a manky wet evening mightnt hurt either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not really sobering. They know the French side well, a similar French team to the one Ireland beat in Donnybrook a few months ago. France were playing an Aussie team who were already beaten and therefore pretty much eliminated.

They haven't played well. But its not due to tinkering or changes. Its the same problems that have existed for some time. They'll help things massively by eliminating the unforced errors but they need to be a lot smarter with how they use the ball to stop putting themselves under so much pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Peat, Lyons, Egan, Reilly, Spence, Griffin, Molloy, Fitzpatrick
    Muldoon, Stapleton, Miller, Naoupo, Murphy, Tyrell, Coyne.
    Moloney, O'Reilly, O'Connor, Cooney, Baxter, Cronin, Galvin, Considine

That's who I'd pick against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Today was the first time I saw Cronin. To be honest I thought she was a team mascot, perhaps from a local school or something!
    I doubt she'd get into a Wesley teenage disco without her passport, but she was gritty and determined and always at the breakdown. Exactly what you want from her position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That was very disappointing. It's very hard to know where to begin. The scrum was nothing short of annihilated in the opening 30. The line out malfunctioned incredibly badly early on. The back line were as lateral as anything I've seen. Even when going through the phases they weren't sucking defenders in and opening up space anywhere on the field. The unforced errors and poor decision making were fairly rampant. They roughed out the win and when push came to shove they made it happen, but against a side that France put 72 points on that simply wasn't good enough. It was the 72nd minute before we took the lead for the first time.

Sure it was a very different side from our best one, but surely even a side with relatively few changes should have done better? We were put in UCD for the day. Caught the NZ and England games before the Irish one. Those 2 are light years ahead of us. France appear to be too and Canada are a fine side. I can't see us making the SFs at this rate.

Got chatting to a few people in the HK camp. Lovely bunch, and I don't think they expected much else from the tournament than they've gotten. Watching them against NZ it really did look like adults against children from a size perspective. But having spent a good chuck of the day with a few of them I'll pop in on Thursday and give them my support if I can. Like Wednesday I can't speak highly enough for the atmosphere at these games. The Japanese today were great and had some good banter with a few English fans too. Generally it's been a successful tournament I think. It's just a shame the Irish girls haven't been able to show what they're capable of so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

molloyjh wrote:
    That was very disappointing. It's very hard to know where to begin. The scrum was nothing short of annihilated in the opening 30. The line out malfunctioned incredibly badly early on. The back line were as lateral as anything I've seen. Even when going through the phases they weren't sucking defenders in and opening up space anywhere on the field. The unforced errors and poor decision making were fairly rampant. They roughed out the win and when push came to shove they made it happen, but against a side that France put 72 points on that simply wasn't good enough. It was the 72nd minute before we took the lead for the first time.
    Sure it was a very different side from our best one, but surely even a side with relatively few changes should have done better? We were put in UCD for the day. Caught the NZ and England games before the Irish one. Those 2 are light years ahead of us. France appear to be too and Canada are a fine side. I can't see us making the SFs at this rate.
    Got chatting to a few people in the HK camp. Lovely bunch, and I don't think they expected much else from the tournament than they've gotten. Watching them against NZ it really did look like adults against children from a size perspective. But having spent a good chuck of the day with a few of them I'll pop in on Thursday and give them my support if I can. Like Wednesday I can't speak highly enough for the atmosphere at these games. The Japanese today were great and had some good banter with a few English fans too. Generally it's been a successful tournament I think. It's just a shame the Irish girls haven't been able to show what they're capable of so far.
    we certainly can improve a lot but any win bar one where france get 2 bonus points gets us into the semis. And considering it's only really since just before last world cup that we've really been competitive that'll be a good tournament. We've always been quite a bit behind the likes of new Zealand, England Canada but light years. No.
    Women were slightly lateral but werent that bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Today was the first time I saw Cronin. To be honest I thought she was a team mascot, perhaps from a local school or something!
    I doubt she'd get into a Wesley teenage disco without her passport, but she was gritty and determined and always at the breakdown. Exactly what you want from her position.

I thought she was terrific, and I'd pick her ahead of Muldoon for Thursday. Really impressive debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I thought Muldoon's passing was a bit slow v Australia, but I really appreciated her other work around the park, particularly her cover tackling. It was excellent.

Either way I think they're complimentary scrum halves, and I can't for the life of me understand why they aren't switching them up on 50.

I think Muldoon is clearly ahead.

As for why they aren't both playing... Well against Australia it was a tight game so bringing a scrum half on for her debut is a fairly obvious risk. Against Japan the point was to rest players where possible and Cronin was flying. I'd expect to see both against France.

It's a problem position. Has been for years. Our options there are stronger than they've been for a while in my opinion. I think one of the benefits the girls will see from the IRFUs laser-focus on 7s rugby will be stronger options at 9 and in the back 3.

I think Muldoon is clearly ahead.

Why do you think so? Serious question, she was poor against Australia.

• Advertisement

Hippo wrote: »

She has nearly 50 caps. Cronin has 1.

I'd much prefer Cronin coming off the bench.

Hippo wrote: »

Very few players put their hands up for selection against Australia. Our pack weren't on top for much of the game, making Muldoons job harder.

Cronin was great yesterday. Nippy and that terrier attitude that reminds me of stringer. But she's untested at this level realistically. She was also up against an inexperienced scrum half which may have made her job easier. Tania Rosser, the recently retired scrum half, has said she's not sure if Cronin has the cojones to close out a game and was concerned about our depth at scrum half. Yesterday will have alleviated her concerns, and mine, somewhat, but against France I think it's better to go with Muldoon and have Cronin come in when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Had a look in the thread but didnt see it come up.
    Are the ladies using size 5 balls, and if so why?

Wouldnt it make it much easier and make for a more skillful game if they were using a size 4 or 4.5 even?

The quality of the passing really seems to suffer and I cant help but think its the size of the ball. That said the Kiwis and Aussie's seemed to be able to fling it around at pace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

GreeBo wrote:
    Had a look in the thread but didnt see it come up. Are the ladies using size 5 balls, and if so why?
    Wouldnt it make it much easier and make for a more skillful game if they were using a size 4 or 4.5 even?
    The quality of the passing really seems to suffer and I cant help but think its the size of the ball. That said the Kiwis and Aussie's seemed to be able to fling it around at pace...
    they use size 5 as that's what adult players are meant to use. Possibly would be better if smaller sized ball was used. Gilbert produce a size 4.5 which should be used more in women's games but that isn't the case. I don't think passing suffering is due to using a size 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cronin does indeed get the nod over Muldoon. Lyons also starts ahead of Moloney.

15. Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    14. Eimear Considine (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
    13. Jenny Murphy (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    12. Sene Naoupu (Harlequins FC)
    11. Alison Miller (Old Belvedere RFC/Connacht)
    10. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    9. Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
    1. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)
    2. Leah Lyons (Highfield RFC/Munster)
    3. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    4. Sophie Spence (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    5. Marie-Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
    6. Ciara Griffin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
    7. Claire Molloy (Bristol RFC/Connacht) Captain
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (St. Mary's College RFC/Leinster)

Replacements
    16. Cliodhna Moloney (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)
    17. Ruth O'Reilly (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
    18. Ciara O'Connor (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
    19. Ashleigh Baxter (Cooke RFC/Ulster)
    20. Heather O'Brien (Highfield RFC/Munster)
    21. Larissa Muldoon (Railway Union RFC/Ulster)
    22. Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)
    23. Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)

• Advertisement

Also Baxter to the bench. Probably a side you could've seen coming after the Australia game although obviously I really thought Muldoon would be back in. Don't think there's a wrong decision either way there.

Need more control over where we play, but we can definitely beat this French side.

Can't wait.

That pack has the beating of France. I'm glad Tierney has chosen the team based on best performers in the pack.

Interesting call with Cronin over Muldoon, but great to have Muldoon on the bench if required to steady the ship.

Also Baxter to the bench. Probably a side you could've seen coming after the Australia game although obviously I really thought Muldoon would be back in. Don't think there's a wrong decision either way there.

Need more control over where we play, but we can definitely beat this French side.

Can't wait.

Move Fitz to the row if required?

I'm happy with that 23.

Fingers crossed that there's a real performance in the team, they'll need it against the French. FWIW I thought Cronin did well in the first half v Japan behind a pack that went backwards at a rate, hopefully she can rise to the occasion again behind a stronger unit (admittedly against a stronger unit!)

sullivlo wrote: »
    Move Fitz to the row if required?

I'm happy with that 23.

Not sure what her scrummaging is like but sounds like it'd be the plan.

Not sure what her scrummaging is like but sounds like it'd be the plan.

She played in the row against Australia. The scrum appeared to improve when she went off but that coincided with a change at tight head also, so it's not really indicative. Her scrummaging is good though, she has previously played hooker but moved to back row due to a neck injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

As anyone any experience of the ticket exchange in ucd?
    Do tickets actually come available through it?

Or if not is there a screen in the fanzine?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bennyl10 wrote: »
    As anyone any experience of the ticket exchange in ucd?
    Do tickets actually come available through it?

Or if not is there a screen in the fanzine?:)

According to irishrugby.ie 700 tickets have been exchanged over the 2 match days so far so there are some available.

They show the matches in the fan zone and there is a pretty cool buzz in there

I must say I couldnt understand the narrative on the radio analysis the last few days saying would Reilly come back in at the expense of Spence. It was obvious from miles off they would be paired for France. Having Paula Fitz as an lineout option and a bullocking ball carrier is right too. Cronin deserves to retain the shirt and having Murphy back makes for a decent midfield. The best possible team overall really, i just wish Nora was in better form with the boot in the open.

According to irishrugby.ie 700 tickets have been exchanged over the 2 match days so far so there are some available.

They show the matches in the fan zone and there is a pretty cool buzz in there

ah be grand so..

Is there a beverage available in the fanzine too?..:P

• Advertisement

ah be grand so..

Wouldn't be a buzz without it!!

ah be grand so..

Yeah. Heineken bar and a few grub outlets too - burgers, hotdogs and burritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Yeah. Heineken bar and a few grub outlets too - burgers, hotdogs and burritos.

Thinking of popping up to UCD tomorrow and watching the game in the fanzone. What's the set up like? As in is the screen indoor in a tent or outside? Just wondering about the weather. And then is there benches etc or would a picnic blanket be out of place! 😂

timbertime wrote: »
    Thinking of popping up to UCD tomorrow and watching the game in the fanzone. What's the set up like? As in is the screen indoor in a tent or outside? Just wondering about the weather. And then is there benches etc or would a picnic blanket be out of place! 😂

There's a screen outside. There are a few tables but a picnic blanket would be ideal. Could probably even bring your own booze.

There's a screen outside. There are a few tables but a picnic blanket would be ideal. Could probably even bring your own booze.

Rugby and cans.. what more would you want!:D

Rugby and cans.. what more would you want!:D

An Irish win would be fab ;)

Briggs presented their jerseys to the squad this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

An Irish win would be fab ;)

Briggs presented their jerseys to the squad this evening.

On current performances an Irish win would be somewhat of a struggle

On current performances an Irish win would be somewhat of a struggle

Try not to drown in that half empty glass ;)

A huge challenge tonight but they are well able for it, the leadership group needs to grasp hold, settle into the game by keeping it tight, focus on the basics and let the game-plan bleed in. Hold France to low scores for 20-30 mins and anything is possible.

But mainly, G'WAN THE GIRLS!!

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A huge challenge tonight but they are well able for it, the leadership group needs to grasp hold, settle into the game by keeping it tight, focus on the basics and let the game-plan bleed in. Hold France to low scores for 20-30 mins and anything is possible.

But mainly, G'WAN THE GIRLS!!
    The core of the team is the same as the team that beat France in the 6N. It was a tight game then, but we came out on top. The games against Australia and Japan will stand to us - grit, determination, grinding out the win. If our set piece holds up (& our discipline) it could be a cracker of a game. France won't have learned anything from their games against Australia or Japan.

I'm excited.

The core of the team is the same as the team that beat France in the 6N. It was a tight game then, but we came out on top. The games against Australia and Japan will stand to us - grit, determination, grinding out the win. If our set piece holds up (& our discipline) it could be a cracker of a game. France won't have learned anything from their games against Australia or Japan.

I'm excited.

Also the same France team.

It'll be a close one. But the issues outlined above are clearly important and better direction is needed. I reckon we're 15 points better than France IF they fix that problem, but I can't see it being totally resolved in time.

As a good coach said recently, a team mid-season is like a ship. Once it has set its course, quick changes in direction are very hard to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

All one way traffic in the Canada-NZ game at the moment. The pace and ruthlessness NZ show really stands out. Owning the game with a player in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Am worried for Ireland in this game. The French will smell blood. We beat Japan by a tight margin, same for Australia while France beat Japan 72 - 14 and Australia 48 - 0.

Our handling skills are killing our game. constant knock on's from almost every player.

This is a backs to the wall game and the girls will be even more nervous - Losing and we are out in our back yard!

Heart says Ireland to win by 3
    Head says France to win by 20

*sad face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

molloyjh wrote: »
    All one way traffic in the Canada-NZ game at the moment. The pace and ruthlessness NZ show really stands out. Owning the game with a player in the bin.

The loss of two bonus points in our first two games could be costly tonight so.

I expect a reasonably tight game tonight. Our pack is very strong and should be well able to front up to them assuming we have sorted our scrum issues, but we have no cutting edge in the backs and I think that is where the difference will be tonight.
    France by 10+.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Power of Cockayne matched by speed of Cheta.
    Hope yet for USA.

USA picked up a valuable bonus point there.
    From what I can see, if France lose without picking up a bonus point they are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Anybody know of 3 tickets for tonights game?

fmc3105 wrote: »
    Anybody know of 3 tickets for tonights game?

You'll be lucky but the box office is selling tickets from anyone who leaves early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Nervous but excited for this one. Need a much better performance than we've seen so far but hoping we get it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement