Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveillance cameras at side of Headford road near Corrandulla junction

Options
  • 19-07-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with the two surveillance cameras up on a pole on the east side of Headford road just north of the Corrandulla junction... have always wondered.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yeah I asked back in 2015 as well ;-)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057491448

I'm not sure I buy the water main answer in the above post...! They point at the center line and one is most likely an infra red camera. I've seen them in two other locations - think one was in Cork and I forget the other. I'm wondering if they were part of some sort of testing of traffic counting location cameras - day and night - that never got beyond a few installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I don't think it's a traffic counting system. Usually, for that, they place a band across the road at certain points along the road.

I would be thinking it is to catch cars doing Donuts. I remember seeing a lot of skid marks around there.

Either way I think the public should be informed what they are for. It's a bit wrong to just erect them without telling people.

I don't think it's a traffic counting system. Usually, for that, they place a band across the road at certain points along the road.

I would be thinking it is to catch cars doing Donuts. I remember seeing a lot of skid marks around there.

Either way I think the public should be informed what they are for. It's a bit wrong to just erect them without telling people.

The bands on the road just give volume of cars and can't be that accurate. I think the bands could tell direction and possibly axle count, but they'd be a problem if cars cross it in both directions at once.

I was thinking it was a digital camera image traffic counting solution, that could count different vehicle types - cars vs trucks by basic size of image recognition. Perhaps I'm thinking too advanced for the NRA or whoever looks after these things...

Maybe the plan was to catch the cars doing donuts - but sure they'd only have to go 100m up the road to avoid them, as the camera can't turn (even before the new N84 section). Surely who ever put them in must have thought of that... Now these lads are doing the donuts on the nice new wide section a few kms North of the camera anyhow....

The mystery continues... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

MBSnr wrote: »
    The bands on the road just give volume of cars and can't be that accurate. I think the bands could tell direction and possibly axle count, but they'd be a problem if cars cross it in both directions at once.

I was thinking it was a digital camera image traffic counting solution, that could count different vehicle types - cars vs trucks by basic size of image recognition. Perhaps I'm thinking too advanced for the NRA or whoever looks after these things...

Maybe the plan was to catch the cars doing donuts - but sure they'd only have to go 100m up the road to avoid them, as the camera can't turn (even before the new N84 section). Surely who ever put them in must have thought of that... Now these lads are doing the donuts on the nice new wide section a few kms North of the camera anyhow....

The mystery continues... :)

it's curious that the cameras are positioned at the junction where the old road ends and the current road is... were they installed before the upgrade work (the current road i mean).. must ask a friend who works in the roads dept. in GCoCo....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    it's curious that the cameras are positioned at the junction where the old road ends and the current road is... were they installed before the upgrade work (the current road i mean).. must ask a friend who works in the roads dept. in GCoCo....

They've been in place since at least Aug 2011 as the 1st boards thread was from then....

Advertisement