Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Exchange Students

Options
  • 19-07-2017 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

A case i heard about i wanted to share with ye i dont want to post it in the farm section as the person involved might be on it . So i heard of this farmer who takes french exchange students & treats them like dirt does not feed them they live in a shed on the farm & are so hungry the have been seen eating calf ration along with berries off dithes on the farm. This is going to be the next big story to hit ireland as this case cant be the only one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you sure you weren't actually watching a very early episode of The Simpsons?

I'd be pretty certain this would have hit the media an extremely long time ago if real. Exchange students have mobiles, speak English, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

No i am telling you the truth as it is a friend of mine that works on the farm that this happens. I would say that this farm exchange is a tax scam that .is why they get them say you are paying them when you are not to keep the books in order. As for speaking english last one had zero english went home early as the owners went away on holiday & forgot to feed the student .There is also no checks on them as there stay is short 4 to 6 weeks if no problem is reported they keep sending more students this farm has been thru a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If you know about this, and in the unlikely event it is true rather than barstool talk, why have YOU not reported the farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

homingbird wrote: »
    As for speaking english last one had zero english went home early as the owners went away on holiday & forgot to feed the student .

Was there no calf ration available. What were the poor calves eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

This story could well be true. I know of a girl who went from Ireland to a French farm for work experience about 30 years ago. She had to sleep on a thin roll up mattress in a corner of the kitchen and got nothing but bread and cheese to eat. She left after a few weeks. This was before mobile phones and internet.

I find the bit about eating the calf ration hard to believe. As somebody else said the students should have mobile phones and at least a rudiment of English. However if this story isn't runaway rumour get all the facts right and report the farmer to Teagasc. They may not be able to deal with the case directly but they might be able to advise and send one of their advisors out for a discreet visit to the farm.

• Advertisement

Emme wrote: »
    This story could well be true. I know of a girl who went from Ireland to a French farm for work experience about 30 years ago. She had to sleep on a thin roll up mattress in a corner of the kitchen and got nothing but bread and cheese to eat. She left after a few weeks. This was before mobile phones and internet.

It might be believable if 30 years ago.
    Emme wrote: »
    However if this story isn't runaway rumour get all the facts right and report the farmer to Teagasc.

Forget Teagasc, even if just suspicious report to the Gardai immediately.

Why would Teagasc be interested, unless it is to test the students to see what effect calf rations have on them!

My friend will lose his job if reported & he has witnessed it all in the years he has worked there.I could tell you alot more you would not believe things like this would happen in the 21st century.

My friend will lose his job if reported & he has witnessed it all in the years he has worked there.I could tell you alot more you would not believe things like this would happen in the 21st century.

Your friend is okay with being an accessory to child cruelty etc. Why do you think that your friend won't be prosecuted as well as the farmer? He is equally culpable. Perhaps he should look for a better employer...

What about the people that put them there without checking up on them they share all the blame it is like leaving a dog off on the side of the road .

• Advertisement

You are now aware of enough to report this if you believe it is happening. Go do so.

L1011 wrote: »
    You are now aware of enough to report this if you believe it is happening. Go do so.
    I will leave it at that in the hope someone ( Ray Darcy rte) might take it further & save the other poor souls out around the country in the same setup .

I will leave it at that in the hope someone ( Ray Darcy rte) might take it further & save the other poor souls out around the country in the same setup .

So you're worried enough about it to vague-post about it but not actually do anything to help? Right so.

If someone wants to check this out all they have to do is find out some of these students that went home early & ask them why also if they go home early they get no farm cert signed to say they have gained farm experience. Not too hard to follow up now is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If you believe this to be true and haven't done anything about it, then you may as well be doing it yourself.

If someone wants to check this out all they have to do is find out some of these students that went home early & ask them why also if they go home early they get no farm cert signed to say they have gained farm experience. Not too hard to follow up now is it.

If its that easy to prove, just sodding report it.

If this is happening (which I'm still convinced it isn't) and you're refusing to report it you're entirely complicit. Or an extremely bad liar.

No i am telling you the truth as it is a friend of mine that works on the farm that this happens.

So you are telling the truth and it's your friend who is telling porkies.

If the farmer is sent more students i will let you know it proves that students think that this is normal & dont report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

If the farmer is sent more students i will let you know it proves that students think that this is normal & dont report it.

or it's utter bollocks and not actually happening.

Yes it is happening & not only on this farm . I have made ye aware of it if ye want to take it future you have my permission to link this thread on her Facebook or Twitter account s maybe a newspaper might check it out for a story. I just want to stay out of it as my friend does not know I have posted it. Like I said its not too hard a story to check out as its happening on more farms than this.

• Advertisement

A case i heard about i wanted to share with ye i dont want to post it in the farm section as the person involved might be on it .

Yes it would be unlikely that members who post in the Farming forum, would also be looking at threads in the Regional forums.

You've never mentioned where this farm is located. You seem to be based in Limerick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

1 - this thread is hilarious and not true

2 - has boards been hacked?

Who's the guy with glasses?

Ok another part of this story my friend milks cows on this farm & once he was holding out milk from a sick cow in a bucket to dump as the cow was treated with medicine the student goes up to the bucket & takes some my friend tried to tell him not to put my friend has no french so student goes off with the milk for his tea. This is only the tip of the iceberg as to what happens on this farm.

Blame the crowd that drops off these students not the farmer or my friend they are the abuser not my friend or farmer as they come for 4 to 6 weeks & have to wait this long for there return flight.

Ok another part of this story my friend milks cows on this farm & once he was holding out milk from a sick cow in a bucket to dump as the cow was treated with medicine the student goes up to the bucket & takes some my friend tried to tell him not to put my friend has no french so student goes off with the milk for his tea. This is only the tip of the iceberg as to what happens on this farm.

This is even less believable than the previous stuff.

Your "friend" is having you on for the laugh at this stage.

Its totally true & has been going on for over 3 years.

Its totally true & has been going on for over 3 years.

You've one 'friend' telling you clearly nonsense tales, no further evidence and aren't willing to do anything other than keep insisting its true on here

Its not true

Its not happening

Stop talking to your "friend"

There are no French teenagers/young adults without basic functional English (and particularly an ability to understand the word "no", or go the police if being starved). The sooner you realise that the quicker you can get rid of the fantastic farmer 'friend'

The friend happens to be my brother in law so i have also heard it from my sister . people didnt believe what was happening in nursing homes until there was a investigation into it This farmer is some piece of work you think it he has done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

The entire story is reliant on French teenagers being unable to speak English. Its nonsense and I suspect based on ancient Simpsons episode by someone who is likely amazed that someone has fallen for it for so long

Advertisement