Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm Exchange Students

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

L1011 wrote: »
    The entire story is reliant on French teenagers being unable to speak English.

Can they even speak French.

It's been going on 3 years so obviously none of them have complained when they got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

These stuents are supposed to be living with the family to learn the language along with farming so why isnt there any spot checks done as there has been none done to date . Who is responsible for sending them over as it is clearly a tax scam on behalf of the farmer by putting the student on the books & its costing him nothing. You want to get up early to be as cleaver as a irish farmer. Student has to wait until its return flight is ready to go home.One goes home another one comes it happens from march till the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

homingbird wrote: »
    These stuents are supposed to be living with the family to learn the language along with farming so why isnt there any spot checks done

Because this isn't happening and you're being had on

Someone has reversed the setting of this Simpsons episode and is likely falling around the place laughing that you're falling for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

These stuents are supposed to be living with the family to learn the language along with farming so why isnt there any spot checks done as there has been none done to date . Who is responsible for sending them over as it is clearly a tax scam on behalf of the farmer by putting the student on the books & its costing him nothing. You want to get up early to be as cleaver as a irish farmer. Student has to wait until its return flight is ready to go home.One goes home another one comes it happens from march till the end of the summer.

:rolleyes:

Op, you are asking us to believe a series of highly improbable coincidences have occurred and continue to occur in this situation.

The French students have to have little ability or confidence to complain about being starved which, after having had some French students some years ago, I find very difficult to believe.

The students have no access to mobile phones to explain their situation to their parents, which is improbable at best.

The students haven't posted on social media about their treatment on this farm, again highly improbable.

The students have no access to previous students or future students at their college to share information about which farmers to avoid, again highly improbable going from my own days at college where the pay and conditions were clearly highlighted by students placed on different farms.

There was no contact from the organisation which placed them on the farm to check on their progress and how they are settling in, again highly improbable. There was frequent contact between my students and their colleges/friends while working here and there would be hell to pay if an organisation placing students from France onto unsuitable farms was found to be ignoring their wellbeing.

There were no complaints from students returning home from completing their placements to either their parents, friends, college or authorities in France regarding their placements.

Highly, highly improbable.

From my perspective, it just looks like a very weak attempt at farmer bashing so, if it is happening, you have a responsibility to report this improbable occurrence to prevent it continuing.

Do let us know how you got on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I am from a farming background and I would believe your story. Most of the people responding are probably not from a farming background. Town people would not believe the ruthlessness of farming people and they are just as ruthless towards their own as they are towards strangers. I think you should have posted in the Farming thread.

If you keep making vague references to what is happening nothing will be done. Everyone will think "I'll say nothing because I want to keep my own nose clean, somebody else can report it." You, your brother-in-law and your sister are complicit in the abuse of these students. You know what is happening but won't do anything.

Somebody here said that Teagasc is only concerned with animal feed and crops. Teagasc ran an educational programme called the Green Cert some years ago. I mentioned a girl who went to France, was treated badly and left. She went over there 30 years ago on a Green Cert exchange and reported the family. The students who go back to France should be reporting the farm over there. If they are still sending students over maybe there's a racket going on over there too.

• Advertisement

The reason i want to stay out of this is this farmer is straight with my brother inlaw he pays him on time without have to chase him if i posted in farming section i would get him in trouble as he does not know i posted this but like i said it is probably happening on other farms too. The students are only kids out of school they must think this is the norm.

The reason i want to stay out of this is this farmer is straight with my brother inlaw he pays him on time without have to chase him if i posted in farming section i would get him in trouble as he does not know i posted this but like i said it is probably happening on other farms too. The students are only kids out of school they must think this is the norm.

If it is happening on other farms nobody is going to say anything for the same reason you don't want to say anything. I'm sure it does go on at other farms. A few years ago Eastern European farm workers were found living in horrific conditions in the UK that would defy belief. I am surprised French students would put up with this - is your brother-in-law sure these people are French?

If you or nobody else says anything nothing will be done and the students will continue to suffer. All you can do is ask your brother-in-law to make sure these students get a sandwich or some sort of a decent meal every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Emme wrote: »
    If it is happening on other farms nobody is going to say anything for the same reason you don't want to say anything. I'm sure it does go on at other farms. A few years ago Eastern European farm workers were found living in horrific conditions in the UK that would defy belief. I am surprised French students would put up with this - is your brother-in-law sure these people are French?

If you or nobody else says anything nothing will be done and the students will continue to suffer. All you can do is ask your brother-in-law to make sure these students get a sandwich or some sort of a decent meal every day.

The "students" don't exist. His brother in law is having him on.

L1011 wrote: »
    The "students" don't exist. His brother in law is having him on.

I hope so. Nobody in their right mind would work in a place where people are being treated this badly.

Who runs this exchange scheme & i will send them on this thread to check this out .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

Who runs this exchange scheme & i will send them on this thread to check this out .

You have provided no information on this thread for anyone to check out.

Are you not afraid of your brother-in-law losing his job?

Sending the people who run the exchange scheme on this thread is no good. You have seen the response from people for yourself. I was the one of the few people paying you any heed but I am starting to get a bit sceptical.

If it is true about the students you need to find out who runs the exchange scheme but that might be diffic88lt. You need to send them directly to the farm where the students are rather than sending then on a thread where most people don't believe you.

Again I find it hard to believe that these students are French no matter how young they are. There have been cases of Eastern Europeans living in very poor conditions in farms in the UK. I knew French students working on a stud farm when I was at school in the late 80s and they were smart and wouldn't stand for any abuse. The French are known for not taking crap.

I'm inclined to think these students are from Eastern Europe IF :rolleyes: your story is true.

Yes. & no because it is happening on other farms this farmer has probably been told by other farmers that do this as he goes on a lot of farm walk's & so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yes. & no because it is happening on other farms this farmer has probably been told by other farmers that do this as he goes on a lot of farm walk's & so on.
    You be trippin', bro:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

stop feeding the trolls guys. come on. Mods wanna put an end to this joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

OP, only one thing for you to do......

Talk to Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

The real story ?

1. Op telling the truth ?

2. Op is very gulable. His brother In law told him a tale and he really beilves it to be ture ?

3. The op is not very good at making up stories ?

Defo not number one .even if it was ture the op is letting some poor child eat calf nuts as there not been feed and all he can do is post it here . Pretty evil bas**rd .
    every time his posts he makes the story look more stupid . It's also quite clear his has no idea of how exchange students program work . He also does not seem to understand tax for bussincess either .

So might be number 2 . If so i say there a lot of people laughing at him in the pub at night . Op also probably believes that's mike got 5 holes in one last Friday cause my brother in law told me .

More than Likely number 3 though .

Maybe u getting a great kick out of making this up. If so best of luck to ya . I say your life is amazing if this Is want you need to do for some adult attention . You remind me of a child who brakes all around them to get some attention from there parents .

If you were a bit more creative you might have made the story about a eastern Europe worker who living in a hay shed and getting paid peanuts . Or maybe if you told us the farmer took the moblie phone of the poor French fella . Or that the farm is in the middle of a mountain with no network . Or this happened in the 80,s .

Ps your "story " has made it to the farming section so your brother in law better look for a new job as I sure his getting the sacked in the morning

as i said its happening on more farms than this i am sure as my brother inlaw has worked on a good few farms & most farmers will pull ever trick in the book to get the better deal when you work for them including leaving you a weeks pay out all the time to keep you working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Did your brother in law also win the lotto in forgien country and wants share the winnings .

I defo up for that . I pm you my bank details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Did your brother in law also win the lotto in forgien country and wants share the winnings .

I defo up for that . I pm you my bank details

His brother in law is a Nigerian Prince.....

• Advertisement

Not many from a farming back ground on here i take it or else they would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not many from a farming back ground on here i take it or else they would understand.

Loads from a farming background, just don't have the time to indulge the OP.
    Especially as they don't want to give a single identifying detail to back up their "story".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If what you are saying is true, go to the Gardai. Stop posting on boards and phone a garda station or call in personally. You know the farmers name and location, we don't. We can do nothing. You can. Convincing us is worthless. Good luck and thanks.

no point going to the gaurds as the students are gone for now until more come so it would have to be investigated from the student side & the crowd that is sending them to get the ball rolling.

Advertisement