Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 Stage 18: Briançon - Izoard, 179.5kms

Options
  • 19-07-2017 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

In recent years, col d'Aubisque (2007), col du Tourmalet (2010) and col du Galibier (2011) have hosted extraordinary stage finishes whereas the Tour de France usually crests those summits and proceed to another destination. It's a mission to logistically organize stage finishes atop those legendary climbs. They aren't ski resorts but natural beauties. This year, it's the turn of the Izoard as the Grande Boucle celebrates the 40th anniversary of Bernard Thévenet's second victory.

If Chris Froome cares about the legend, he'll do his best to win with the yellow jersey in a solo effort atop the Izoard. It'll be his first time racing on this climb as it was the case at the Galibier on stage 17. He's got the team to help him achieve the maximum result but Rigoberto Uran and Romain Bardet who are only 27 seconds down on him on GC probably have other ideas. The grand finale in the mountains this year is an unprecedented one.

CARTE.jpg

TV TIMES
    Le Course also starts Thursday with TV coverage of the womens race up the Isoard at 8:55am on ITV4 and I cant see anything listed on Eurosport

TDF ITV 4 11:45am & Eurosport looks like 11:10am

PROFIL.png

The Izoard is a 14.1 kilometres climb that is averaging 7.3%. The last 10 kilometres go up at 9% and lead to the forbidding and barren slopes of Casse Déserte. A perfect and dramatic backdrop for the last summit finish in the 2017 Tour de France."

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png
    Current GC:

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 73:27:26
    2 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Cannondale-Drapac 0:00:27
    3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
    4 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:53
    5 Mikel Landa (Spa) Team Sky 0:01:24
    6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:02:37
    7 Simon Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:04:07
    8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) UAE Team Emirates 0:06:35
    9 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:07:45
    10 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Sunweb 0:08:52

Worst team of this years TDF so far 74 votes

UAE Emirates
    0% 0 votes
    Orica Scott Orwell
    2% 2 votes
    Team Sky
    1% 1 vote
    Wanty Group
    5% 4 votes
    Baharain merida
    4% 3 votes
    Carlton Kirby & Brian Smith
    16% 12 votes
    Fotuneo what ever they're called now
    8% 6 votes
    Dimension Data
    1% 1 vote
    Quick Step (For not looking after our Dan)
    4% 3 votes
    BMC
    32% 24 votes
    FDJ (which now has more Madiot brothers then riders apparently)
    9% 7 votes
    Ned & David on ITV4
    14% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's this way from Guillestre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

neris wrote: »
    I cant see anything listed on Eurosport

It's on Eurosport alright, I saw it in my planner this evening and was wondering what it was as it appeared automatically as part of the live coverage series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Am I right in thinking Barguil has the Polka Dots won by now, with 129 points?

Roglic on 80 and De Gendt on 61 are his nearest rivals, and there's a max of 2+10+40 today, and 2+2+2 tomorrow, so 58. De Gendt can't overtake him, and Roglic is going to be a bit wrecked today after getting the stage yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Should be a good sort out on the last climb but in reality it will skybots all day to release Froome to play on the last 3-4km to take the stage. Best thing the other contenders can do is to keep changing the pace to promote attacks, Bardet should be perfect for this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

buffalo wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking Barguil has the Polka Dots won by now, with 129 points?

Roglic on 80 and De Gendt on 61 are his nearest rivals, and there's a max of 2+10+40 today, and 2+2+2 tomorrow, so 58. De Gendt can't overtake him, and Roglic is going to be a bit wrecked today after getting the stage yesterday.

They said in commentary yday that he had mathematically won it but think thats incorrect. Nevertheless, the chances of roglic taking all remaining points available are practically zero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lets hope Contador or someone of note attacks today or else it will be another controlled GC borefest with Froome then easily covering every move on the Izoard.

I'm thinking Phinot has to do something today or else all that sitting at the back of the peloton will have been for nothing.

Lets hope Contador or someone of note attacks today or else it will be another controlled GC borefest with Froome then easily covering every move on the Izoard.

I'm thinking Phinot has to do something today or else all that sitting at the back of the peloton will have been for nothing.

Pinot abandoned yesterday

retalivity wrote: »

Didn't see that. So he wasn't just sandbagging. I thought he was holding it back for this stage like he done a few years ago for alpe d'huez

Seems they are showing La Course live on Eurosport this morning coverage starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

After yesterday's heroics from Rogolic I'm going to keep my winnings and just watch today.
    Ideally Froome would like to win here but I think he & Landa will.just mark all day leaving someone like Bardet to nick the stage win by small margins.

5/1 Bardet is tempting all the same.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    After yesterday's heroics from Rogolic I'm going to keep my winnings and just watch today.
    Ideally Froome would like to win here but I think he & Landa will.just mark all day leaving someone like Bardet to nick the stage win by small margins.

5/1 Bardet is tempting all the same.

After my poor prediction of Phinot, i'd probably go for Landa been allowed off the leash if Froome has them covered coming into the last few km's.
    They might think they owe him or he'll want to just make a small point without it looking like he's gone rogue.

looking like he's gone rouge.

I have this weird image in my head now of Landa with rosy red cheeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

retalivity wrote: »
    On a side note you'd have to say team sponsors would have a right to ask serious questions about wtf FDJ were at in planning/prep for this tour. Pinot was never in it after giro efforts - why put your leading GC rider in as some kind of wild card when you already know he is nowhere near able to even think about GC and then the whole debacle of blowing out half the team with Demare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Breakaway to win

Unless Ag2R chase

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Breakaway to win

Unless Ag2R chase

Scrap that as Froome is going for the win

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Scrap that as Froome is going for the win

I'd say that too. Iconic climb that he has never raced before in the Tour certainly, no stage wins so far, even if he ends in yellow. The suspicion more than ever than it's been good fortune and his stupidly strong team that has him in the lead combined with the iconic climb may drive him to try and shut up detractors.

In reality he probably doesn't care. He's got the yellow jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Its far from guaranteed Froome will win the TT later in the week, so today is perhaps his best opportunity to ensure he doesn't join this illustrious list!

ljdlDva.png

De Gendt much have spent the most time in a break this year?

Though break is very strong

Though break is very strong

54 riders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

So Cummings is today's wager...20/1, not expecting anything like yesterday.

Ah great I was only saying to myself this morning when watching the womens race they should have Joanna Rowsell on for a bit today for the mens race on Eurosport commentary.

Always liked her commentary when watching the womens series highlights.

8mins for the break and climbing...looks like the winner will come from there with a sky procession behind....

(Hope im wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Last chance saloon today. Not just for the GC hopefuls but for the race itself, otherwise it'll go down as one of the more timid, predictable and let's be honest, boring Tours in living memory. We've had the added of interest of Dan going for a top place but if it weren't for that............ And to think there's only a couple of minutes covering the top 5, you'd swear there were 5 minute gaps between 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »
    Its far from guaranteed Froome will win the TT later in the week, so today is perhaps his best opportunity to ensure he doesn't join this illustrious list!

ljdlDva.png

Or, in Oscar Pereiro's case, you don't actually have to finish first to win the tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

My company wifi kicking me off wonder how much data 2 hours of sky go will come to.

Hopefully not a procession Uran looks content with podium, surely he has to try something today?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I thought Kirby on eurosport was bad enough with his team sky and froome love but I was stuck with itv 4 out on holidays and David Millar is worse nauseating stuff. For what it's worth Landa looks like he could beat anyone if he was allowed, it's like Wiggins and Froome all over again. Yes I don't like sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Brian Holm (Quick-Step): "Dan Martin is set to attacking"
    15:58
    Brian Holm (Quick Step) spoke to letour.com this morning: "To be honest, we don't need to speak to Dan Martin, his own mind set is attacking. Nobody has to tell him in the radio. Sometimes he breaks his neck, sometimes he acts silly but I love the way he does it. He goes, he goes, he goes. For sure, really I wish he'll go again. He 's trying all the time, we never try to stop him. He just follows his head. Let's hope that today he has the same legs he had yesterday. He could be a factor today because he was really flying yesterday. Let's he has the diamond legs today again and we'll all be happier."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Is anyone watching the tour on TG4. What in the jaysus is happening with the commentary

Advertisement