Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of giving up my car-insurance break/become named driver?

Options
  • 20-07-2017 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of giving up my car.
    I can travel to work by public transport for less than running my car costs me.
    And I use it for little else.
    But what affect will the break in insurance have?
    I hope to move jobs to an area where public transport isn't an option in a couple of years. I'll have to have a car then.
    Will it be of any benefit to me to be a named driver on another policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The biggest issue will be the lapse of your no claims bonus after two years which will mean high insurance costs when you have to earn a new no claims bonus from scratch later.

Been a named driver on someone else's policy can help them with their costs, but only a few insurance companies will allow you a discount for named driver experience later, but still stay as named driver is possible as every little bit can help.

Advertisement