Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Surcharges to be Banned

• 20-07-2017 6:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Good news. Card surcharges will be banned from 13 January 2018. This will effect concert ticket sellers, flight ticket sellers and some small retailers who impose surcharges on small payments. Hopefully everyone complies with the new law!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The €30 credit card stamp duty needs to go as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

JTMan wrote: »
    Good news. Card surcharges will be banned from 13 January 2018. This will effect concert ticket sellers, flight ticket sellers and some small retailers who impose surcharges on small payments. Hopefully everyone complies with the new law!
    It will go the same route as when they removed gender as part of car insurance quotation; increases for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And as usual with these kind of rules, in Ireland there will be nobody able to actually enforce these rules.

Just look at the implementation of the rest of the PSD, there are still organizations out there (including government bodies) that are not willing to do a direct debit from a non-Irish account and are getting away with it because nobody has any meaningful ability to enforce the PSD in that respect.

So companies that are currently charging a surcharge (be it a made up one or one reflecting the real cost) will raise their prices or call it something else. Call it a "online booking fee" where online booking is only possible with credit cards.

And for Amex, Discover, JCB, UnionPay (i.e. those non regulated) they are continuing to charge fee's and who is going to proof that these are not the real processing cost.

In reality all this does is bring higher cost for all consumers independent of the payment method choose. The interchange cap was supposed to lower the price that merchant banks charge the companies and it has not resulted in that at all. In theory this was supposed to bring down the cost of paying by card, but it did not, which is why they are now doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The €30 credit card stamp duty needs to go as well.

It won't go. It is an amazing tax for the state. The cost of collection is borne by the banks.

My issue with it is that state should encourage card usage in Ireland. If everyone used their cards more there would be less tax evasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Is it now illegal to apply surcharges to cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jd83 wrote: »
    Is it now illegal to apply surcharges to cards?

Kind of, but there are always loophole, if the "surcharge" applies to all transactions (even cash) then it is not a creditcard surcharge and allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Only kind of illegal it seems, paid 25 euro the other day to a company as a surcharge on a credit card payment, apparently they are allowed to charge up to any cost they incur in providing what they were providing but of course I have no way of checking what the cost to them was and had to take their word for it. They did offer bank transfer or debit card for free but of course no comeback there for me if it goes tits up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

phormium wrote: »
    Only kind of illegal it seems, paid 25 euro the other day to a company as a surcharge on a credit card payment, apparently they are allowed to charge up to any cost they incur in providing what they were providing but of course I have no way of checking what the cost to them was and had to take their word for it. They did offer bank transfer or debit card for free but of course no comeback there for me if it goes tits up!

- Debit card has the same protection as a Credit Card in Rep of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Just-eat and Apache Pizza are still applying additional fees for accepting credit/debit card payments

jahalpin wrote: »
    Just-eat and Apache Pizza are still applying additional fees for accepting credit/debit card payments

I've never been charged a fee by apache and always pay by debit card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement