Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle stand / rack in front garden

Options
  • 20-07-2017 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I'm planning to redo our front garden. Our house is a 1950s semi-d like countless in Dublin. Any ideas for a nice wsy of incorporating it into the garden design? For 4 bicycles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

A house near me - 1930s terraced - has a small parking area half sunk below ground level with a small roof over it, just behind the front boundary railing. It stands about two feet above ground level. I assume they lower the bikes into it and lock them to Sheffield stands. A little bit of planting or a sedum roof would mask it very nicely.

A friend in Phibsborough has a small galvanised lock up in his tiny front garden. Again, he sank it below ground level, but in his case only about 12"-18". It's green and has ferny planting partly screening it and is fairly discreet. Though I should mention that a colleague tried this in his garden in Kimmage/Terenure and the neighbour asked if he'd applied for planning permission, so he ended up replacing it with two Sheffield stands. His was probably more visually obtrusive than the one in Phibsborough (though probably not as visually obtrusive as all the cars parked on the footpaths).

Plenty of screened bin stores being installed these days too, which might give you a few ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sinking is a great idea. The less visually obtrusive the better, as people do complain. There was an area of London where the council started removing bike storage from front gardens because of complaints from neighbours. Can't remember that much, or what the legal basis was.

Advertisement