Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Connect / Strava Sync

Options
  • 20-07-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Over the last couple of weeks my Garmin Connect and Strava accounts haven't synced on 3 occasions. The activity is uploaded to Garmin but doesn't appear on Strava. But the next activity will be synced as usual! The first time it happened, the activity appeared on Strava days later - I'm waiting to see if that happens with the other two!
    I regularly use a number of Garmin devices - It may be a coincidence, but the problem seems to happen when I switch between two wireless devices, a 520 and a Vivosmart HR+ ie. when I use the Vivosmart for my commute and then use the 520 for a longer spin.
    Anyone have similar problems?
    Is it possible to "force" sync between Garmin Connect and Strava?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's been a while since I've had to, but I have had to disconnect/ reconnect Strava and Garmin a couple of times over the years because of similar issues.

Any Garmin updates recently on those devices, as a previous Connect update made TrainerRoad manual uploads fall over a few months ago (100% Garmin's fault). My experience is that they let the users do the testing for updates...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've had to, but I have had to disconnect/ reconnect Strava and Garmin a couple of times over the years because of similar issues. QUOTE]

Thanks for that - tried that the first time it happened and didn't immediately seem to sort the problem but maybe it takes a while for the sync to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have had to pair Garmin Connect with Strava a few times over last 6 weeks, my last two spins have uploaded correctly via Bluetooth as per normal but it is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I have seen problem three/four times ever, once in last few weeks. Using plain old edge 500 and file upload.
    I very much doubt it's the device. Once it has uploaded to Connect, its work is done.
    I suspect some temporary burp between Connect/Strava in backend that lasted longer than however long they hold stuff in the queue .
    In my case I manually uploaded same file to strava. Subsequent uploads were ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, I would think it's Connect that's flakey. The TrainerRoad issue I mentioned, when you went to manual upload Connect would give an error in connect, but yet was still pushing it on to Training Peaks!

Also, might be worth looking at the Garmin support forums. You won't get any answers, but you might see are others having the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I had this problem after the W200, recorded using a Garmin 520. It uploaded to the Garmin site, but wouldn't sync with Strava. I tried unlinking/linking both services but no luck. I downloaded the GPX file from Garmin connect and tried uploading manually to Strava but that said the file was corrupt.
    I opened the GPX manually and discovered that about halfway through the file, the timestamps jumped from 11 June 2017 to some random date in 2019. I fixed this problem by using a powershell script to do a find/replace on the timestamps. This fixed the problem of not uploading to Strava, but a lot of the data was lost - https://www.strava.com/activities/1044160993

PaulieC wrote: »
    I fixed this problem by using a powershell script to do a find/replace on the timestamps.

Ah here Paulie ... that's not even English! :rolleyes:

C3PO wrote: »
    Ah here Paulie ... that's not even English! :rolleyes:

This is less English (seems the time changed as well as the date):

[xml]$route = Get-Content C:\Users\Documents\activity_1792763000.gpx

foreach ($element in $route.gpx.trk.trkseg.trkpt)
    {
    if ($element.Time -match "2019")
    {
    $parsedtime = Get-Date $time
    $newtime = $parsedtime.AddHours(10).AddMinutes(20).AddSeconds(59)
    $newsecond = $newtime.Second
    if ($newtime.Second -lt 10) {$newsecond = "0" + $newtime.Second}
    $newminute = $newtime.Minute
    if ($newtime.minute -lt 10) {$newminute = "0" + $newtime.Minute}
    $newTimestamp = "2017-06-11T" + $newtime.Hour + ":" + $newminute + ":" + $newsecond +".000Z"
    $element.Time = $newTimestamp
    }
    }

$route.Save("C:\Users\Documents\WWFixed.gpx")

It shows how relatively simple it is to doctor GPX files...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

PaulieC wrote: »
    ..... This fixed the problem of not uploading to Strava, but a lot of the data was lost - https://www.strava.com/activities/1044160993
    An average of 55km/h on the WW200! - savage stuff :D:D

An average of 55km/h on the WW200! - savage stuff :D:D

lols, I doubt I had that speed on the steepest of descents...

• Advertisement

.... and then the two rides mysteriously appeared ... Strava must be watching us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I've had this happen once

Similar to what was mentioned earlier it was a problem with timestamps on the activity recorded on the edge 520. Something like this worked around the problem
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918067-Uploading-Garmin-files-with-bad-time-data?mobile_site=true

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The garmin is listening to 4-15 atomic clocks. The best kind humans have ever made.

How t-f'ck is it getting the timestamp incorrect :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

ED E wrote: »
    The garmin is listening to 4-15 atomic clocks. The best kind humans have ever made.

How t-f'ck is it getting the timestamp incorrect :rolleyes:

At the time I assumed I turned on the Garmin and restarted the activity before it synced with a satellite... But that was no more then a guess.

Advertisement