Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reuben Sandwich!

• 20-07-2017 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hungry today for a reuben

The Reuben sandwich is an American hot sandwich composed of pastrami, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread.

Any idea where I could get one in Limerick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I was gonna suggest you might do better to look for a spiced beef version, when I found an Irish Times article which includes a line almost exactly like yours - weird!

"The Reuben sandwich is an American hot sandwich composed of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread."

I also did not know the Reuben was a hipster thing. It sounds like something I'd like so the hipster connotation makes me conflicted.

Anyhow - I don't know where you'd get a Reuben but if you like that sort of thing then the Beefstormer in Papaz Bistro or the Cuban sandwhich in Zest might be up your street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I love a Ruben too and have been on the look out for one for a good while now. No success I'm afraid.

I wouldn't bother with the Cuban in zest, not enough meat in it.

If you find a Ruben let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Had a Reuben in the US recently after hearing and seeing people on TV go on about it. Now, I remember why I don't like Corned Beef. :(

Had it been full of any other meat(other than luncheon roll - is that even a meat??) it would have been much nicer. I can't imagine finding Sauerkraut in Limerick to be easy and can't imagine people making it from scratch due to the low demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pretty sure you can get Sauerkraut in most big supermarkets. The Polish shops have it anyway.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can get Sauerkraut in most big supermarkets. The Polish shops have it anyway.

Sorry I meant commercially speaking containers like for a Cafe or Restaurant as the OP is looking for somewhere selling a menu option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Any Ruben I've had in Ireland has used pastrami which is a whole lot nicer than American corned beef.

they couple of places I had it in NYC you paid a supplement to have it with pastrami rather than the other muck.

Theres a small place in ballsbridge that does them with spiced beef which is very nice also.

Here is said Ruben with Corned Beef , so shocked I ordered it I took a picture. Got it in a dive restaurant in some backwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd happily eat that if I was too hungover to go to the shop and I had the bits in house.
    Not sure I'd pay to eat it out somewhere. It sounds a lot more promising than it looks in reality haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I think Hook & Ladder do them.

I've had one as a special in House around Christmas, and it was absolutely unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I think Hook & Ladder do them.

I've had one as a special in House around Christmas, and it was absolutely unbelievable.

Yeah, I got one in Hook & Ladder in Corbally a few weeks ago, grand but not a patch on any I've had in the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Berty wrote: »
    Here is said Ruben with Corned Beef , so shocked I ordered it I took a picture. Got it in a dive restaurant in some backwater.

That looks absolutely class!

keane2097 wrote: »
    That looks absolutely class!

Looks class and likely tastes class as well if you like Corned Beef but I'd much have preferred my wifes "Grilled Cheese" Sandwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

The Wild Onion used to do a great Rueben if memory serves me...not much good to anyone looking to get one today though!

God, I really miss the Wild Onion :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Green Onion originally. That's when it was best.

Advertisement