Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much detail does a workplace legally need when you are out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

OK, real world example. My wife is sick with pneumonia today. I actually had to take the morning off to bring her to the doc, take care of the dogs and clean up around the house.
    If my HR department would grill me to the extent that OP got grilled, I would be seriously miffed.
    It does not point to a quality employer that trusts and empowers his employees.

100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Yes, a dangerous precedent where people can just nip to the bank or sort something out with the local authority as long as their position is covered and their work gets done. This may eventually result in a kind of flex-time arrangement where people can come and go as they please and then what you got? Well, my workplace. ;)
    And it has resulted in absolute chaos and bedlam a lot of people just going about their work.

Anyway, back on topic. It is hard to say to exactly what degree the employer has a right to personal details for forced absence. If I rang in saying I had the runs and they asked me about frequency and consistency along with samples and photographic evidence of said runs, I would seriously reconsider working there.

OK, real world example. My wife is sick with pneumonia today. I actually had to take the morning off to bring her to the doc, take care of the dogs and clean up around the house.
    If my HR department would grill me to the extent that OP got grilled, I would be seriously miffed.
    It does not point to a quality employer that trusts and empowers his employees.

Very similar situation in fact. I was shocked at being asked how and when I travelled home. Who was I attending too? What's wrong with them? This was all after I had said it's a family emergency, was told that's not enough, I replied "is that not a sufficient reason, there is no need for details here surely?". And I basically gave in to the pressure of a stern manager on the other side of the phone. Looking back I'm sorry I didn't hold my ground and say no I'm sorry but that's private. The more I think about it the more inappropriate I think it was that I was required to go into them details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^^
    Plenty of managers who got to their position by sheer force of their ignorance and obnoxiousness. Promoted by people who watched too much of the apprentice and now think this is how business works.
    You could certainly ask HR politely to clarify if this level of detail is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very similar situation in fact. I was shocked at being asked how and when I travelled home. Who was I attending too? What's wrong with them? This was all after I had said it's a family emergency, was told that's not enough, I replied "is that not a sufficient reason, there is no need for details here surely?". And I basically gave in to the pressure of a stern manager on the other side of the phone. Looking back I'm sorry I didn't hold my ground and say no I'm sorry but that's private. The more I think about it the more inappropriate I think it was that I was required to go into them details.

Sounds like a dick boss. What industry are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, you were absent from work without leave being granted, you weren't sick, you weren't unable to work, you are not claiming it as FM, but you are unhappy with being asked for details/explanation as to why you were absent from work?

So, let's say a colleague wants a lie in or hasn't gotten a day off when requested and decides to call in giving the same meagre details you did, how's the Boss supposed to know which one to believe?

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, you were absent from work without leave being granted, you weren't sick, you weren't unable to work, you are not claiming it as FM, but you are unhappy with being asked for details/explanation as to why you were absent from work?

So, let's say a colleague wants a lie in or hasn't gotten a day off when requested and decides to call in giving the same meagre details you did, how's the Boss supposed to know which one to believe?

I was absolutely unable to work. I had a family member dependent on me who was unwell.

Someone asked the industry. Insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I was absolutely unable to work. I had a family member dependent on me who was unwell.

Sorry but you are absolutely wrong, you were not unfit for work, you took a day for personal reasons. I am not disputing the fact that you needed to be at home, but I believe your employer has a right to know why you didn't turn up for work when you were fit to do so.

As others have pointed out, there is annual leave, absense due to illness (yours), maternity leave and FM, do any of these apply to you?

Sorry to be unkind, but people in insurance are nosy bastards!

Still unnaceptable, presuming you have been there a while and are a good worker.

I gave an explanation, but I'm unhappy at the detail I was pressured into going into. I understand an explanation is needed I just thought it was inappropriate the level of detail asked.

davo10 wrote: »

Sorry but you are absolutely wrong, you were not unfit for work, you took a day for personal reasons. I am not disputing the fact that you needed to be at home, but I believe your employer has a right to know why you didn't turn up for work when you were fit to do so.

And the employer was told it was a personal family emergency. I think it's totally unacceptable to ask for further details in that situation. Maybe you don't but I do.

• Advertisement

I gave an explanation, but I'm unhappy at the detail I was pressured into going into. I understand an explanation is needed I just thought it was inappropriate the level of detail asked.

Just one thing I want to clarify, did you ring in advance and let your employer know you weren't going to make it, or did you just not turn up and dealt with it the next day?
    That could explain the company being a bit more dickish about the whole thing.
    If you did ring ahead, yeah, totally overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Should've just rang in sick yourself. No need for a cert if under 2 days.

Just one thing I want to clarify, did you ring in advance and let your employer know you weren't going to make it, or did you just not turn up and dealt with it the next day?
    That could explain the company being a bit more dickish about the whole thing.
    If you did ring ahead, yeah, totally overboard.

Rang in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Asking about who it was is legitimate as FM may only apply to certain family members and not others.

I think the real problem is the manner of questioning. The implication.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think the real problem is the manner of questioning. The implication.

The manner of questioning was as though I was lying. Which has me riled up to be honest. The least of my worries was my workplace. And then having to justify it with all the details over the phone at that time was wrong IMO.

Also I should have added earlier, I was never aware FM existed until it was mentioned on this thread, so apologies for my lack of engagement on that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think the real question should be , where is the line between being a legit reason and an excuse.
    surely what the employer is doing is looking for a reason to complain about the reason.

The manner of questioning was as though I was lying. Which has me riled up to be honest. The least of my worries was my workplace. And then having to justify it with all the details over the phone at that time was wrong IMO.

Was it your line manager or someone from HR?

HR people are often seasoned ars€holes who would wind up the most placid of us..

lawred2 wrote: »

Was it your line manager or someone from HR?

HR people are often seasoned ars€holes who would wind up the most placid of us..

Line manager. I don't know how to approach this tomorrow to be honest.

• Advertisement

i think the real question should be , where is the line between being a legit reason and an excuse.
    surely what the employer is doing is looking for a reason to complain about the reason.

Is there anything more possibly legit than a family problem? If my manager was to get a call that her kids were very poorly, is she gona stay at her desk for the rest of the day or go to bring them to the doctor? You know what I mean.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is there anything more possibly legit than a family problem? If my manager was to get a call that her kids were very poorly, is she gona stay at her desk for the rest of the day or go to bring them to the doctor? You know what I mean.

Yes people can be very manipulative.

When you first rang in did you say something vague like " a family member is ill, I can't come in tomorrow as I've to care for them"?

Stheno wrote: »

When you first rang in did you say something vague like " a family member is ill, I can't come in tomorrow as I've to care for them"?

Almost my exact words to be honest.

I don't see a problem with that. No one should expected the Spanish Inquisition in that case. :D (unless they're pulling that every week)
    Asking who was it, what was wrong with them, how did the OP travel there is invasive and unnecessary. And the manner of questioning in this case is borderline bullying. But of course line manager in insurance is going to be used to grilling people on every tiny detail of their claim, so this would extend to employees I guess.
    Personally, if a family member is ill, I'll go and care for them and my boss can bite me. If he wants to twist a rope out of that for me, he can see how that flies later on. Thankfully I work in a very good office and won't have that worry.
    But fired/disciplinary for caring for a loved one won't get far. Some things have to be more important than work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Were you then asked which family member and what illness they had that meant you'd to stay away from work to mind them?

If e.g. it was your partner and you'd kids, and you'd to take the day off to deal with the kids, fine, if e.g. they have a chronic illness and are incapacitated that's also fine.

If they had a cold or the winter vomiting bug, that would be different imo.
    I don't see a problem with that. No one should expected the Spanish Inquisition in that case. :D (unless they're pulling that every week)
    Asking who was it, what was wrong with them, how did the OP travel there is invasive and unnecessary. And the manner of questioning in this case is borderline bullying. But of course line manager in insurance is going to be used to grilling people on every tiny detail of their claim, so this would extend to employees I guess.
    Personally, if a family member is ill, I'll go and care for them and my boss can bite me. If he wants to twist a rope out of that for me, he can see how that flies later on. Thankfully I work in a very good office and won't have that worry.
    But fired/disciplinary for caring for a loved one won't get far. Some things have to be more important than work.
    THe travel thing is weird, however, I see no issue in asking who the family member was and why they were ill.

In extremis, I once had a member of staff who had six grandparents die in two years, and in another organisation I worked in management regularly checked rip.ie to check out supposed deaths of family members.

Were you then asked which family member and what illness they had that meant you'd to stay away from work to mind them?

If e.g. it was your partner and you'd kids, and you'd to take the day off to deal with the kids, fine, if e.g. they have a chronic illness and are incapacitated that's also fine.

THe travel thing is weird, however, I see no issue in asking who the family member was and why they were ill.

In extremis, I once had a member of staff who had six grandparents die in two years, and in another organisation I worked in management regularly checked rip.ie to check out supposed deaths of family members.

The winter vomiting bug is nothing whatsoever like a cold.

lawred2 wrote: »
    The winter vomiting bug is nothing whatsoever like a cold.

I've had the winter vomiting bug, I didn't need my partner to stay home to mind me tbh.

Yes it was thoroughly crap, but I just needed to sleep, and take in lots of fluids.

A partner who made sure the house was rightly heated, and left plenty of fluids by my locker would still be able to go to work.

I've had bad colds, where I literally spend time in bed shivering, puking, and exhausted, not dissimilar to the winter vomiting bug.

I've had the winter vomiting bug, I didn't need my partner to stay home to mind me tbh.

Yes it was thoroughly crap, but I just needed to sleep, and take in lots of fluids.

A partner who made sure the house was rightly heated, and left plenty of fluids by my locker would still be able to go to work.

I've had bad colds, where I literally spend time in bed shivering, puking, and exhausted, not dissimilar to the winter vomiting bug.

So you've narrowed your basis for analysis to two grown adults?

What about a parent whose toddler or school going child has the winter vomiting bug?

That did come to my mind actually, that basically every phone call that manager has everyday is grilling someone to find out the truth.

• Advertisement

Yes I was then asked this. Along with who informed me. How I travelled? When I find out? I'll also add that at no point was there a bit of empathy shown or at no point even after explaining why I was at home did the manager ask how was the family member etc. Just a cold conversation.

Advertisement