Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much detail does a workplace legally need when you are out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ma Walton

Are you expecting to have the day as paid leave or unpaid? Assuming you're not going down the FM route.

Tbh your manager could just be really unfamiliar with dealing with this kind of absence so may not realise they're overstepping. You'll notice it took quite a few posts on here for people to fully understand exactly what the nature/circumstances of your absence were. I think if you're expecting it as paid leave there is generally more questioning about why you needed the day off to see how they would classify it at their end, i.e. annual leave or sick leave.

If you're unhappy with the line of questioning I think it's reasonable to say it's a sensitive family matter and you'd prefer to discuss it directly with HR (if you have HR?). Also if you clarify you're happy to take it as unpaid leave given the circumstances (if you are happy to of course) might calm the manager down a little on the grilling.

Legally beyond explaining a family member was ill and your immediate attendance was essential I wouldn't think any more was required. I mean, if they fired you for it and it ended up in court that's a reasonable explanation. They couldn't really argue you hadn't told them why you were absent...because you did.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Some employers are just plain weird, **** happens in life from time to time and people require time to deal with it. We 're all adults here, no bull**** excuses should be required to explain absence, if employer wants more details and this is deemed too personal or crossing a line, employers should expect bull**** back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Some employers are just plain weird, **** happens in life from time to time and people require time to deal with it. We 're all adults here, no bull**** excuses should be required to explain absence, if employer wants more details and this is deemed too personal or crossing a line, employers should expect bull**** back.

Well, put it this way, I don't think you'll become a line manager in the insurance industry by being a nice person. You'll probably have to grill old ladies to the nth degree to find something, anything, that means you can wriggle your way out of paying her a lump sum after the death of her husband of 40 years and then you get a fat bonus and a slap on the back. It's a calling, you'll have to live for this kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Plot twist: I've just been let go. "We don't feel like you are suited to the job." I didn't argue. They said was not related to the incident on this thread. Ah well. I think I'm better off somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Plot twist: I've just been let go. "We don't feel like you are suited to the job." I didn't argue. They said was not related to the incident on this thread. Ah well. I think I'm better off somehow.

boy-that-escalated-qj3p6v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

were you on probation?

lawred2 wrote: »
    boy-that-escalated-qj3p6v.jpg

Yup.

were you on probation?

Something like that yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some employers seriously need to get over themselves. im sorry to hear about your predicament op but maybe you're right, maybe you're better off. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Something like that yeah.

a PIP?

Wow... Sorry to hear you got let go.

Insurance is one of the scummier industries anyway. Look at it as a closed chapter and open a new one somewhere else

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Realest post in the thread - Spot on.

The employers sound like a bunch of sad cunce.

callaway92 wrote: »
    a PIP?

Wow... Sorry to hear you got let go.

Insurance is one of the scummier industries anyway. Look at it as a closed chapter and open a new one somewhere else

Thanks. That's exactly how I'm going to look at it. I'm looking at it as a dodged bullet at the moment. Obviously never nice to be let go and clear the desk in front of everyone but yeah, a dodged bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Had you been in trouble for other stuff OP that all sounds very harsh

sjb25 wrote: »
    Had you been in trouble for other stuff OP that all sounds very harsh

No I hadn't. I think maybe they genuinely thought I was bad at the job and took this chance to get me out. I don't know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's rotten news, sorry to hear it, best of luck finding something else

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ma Walton

Really sorry to hear that - I'll spare you the cliches OP other than to say there's something better for you out there.

Any jobs going in Limerick ye know where I am LOL

Any jobs going in Limerick ye know where I am LOL

Send me a private message

Thanks for all the replies guys. Funny how it turned out. May as well try and see the funny side of it. Onwards and upwards.

Was it your line manager or someone from HR?

HR people are often seasoned ars€holes who would wind up the most placid of us..

HR get a bashing a lot but I have to say the HR person involved here was very nice about the situation. I could tell she felt bad about the whole thing. Was genuinely good to me during the whole process. It was the line manager that ****ed me.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Send me a private message

I can't send you any further private messages as your inbox is full it says aaahhh!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Comte de Mirabeau

HR get a bashing a lot but I have to say the HR person involved here was very nice about the situation. I could tell she felt bad about the whole thing. Was genuinely good to me during the whole process. It was the line manager that ****ed me.

HR are never genuinely concerned about any staff's welfare, they are there to protect the company from incurring, and to help cover up any liability caused by shoddy management. If HR are being 'nice' to you, you can be sure they are running to cover / bury any potential liability. Your manager probably has a track record of people mis-management.

I can't send you any further private messages as your inbox is full it says aaahhh!!!

Send again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm confused, unless you were in the job less than a year or have had a warning that any further incident of this type would result in dismisssal being let go is mental for this?

I'm confused, unless you were in the job less than a year or have had a warning that any further incident of this type would result in dismisssal being let go is mental for this?

Yeah I was less than a year. And there are rumours in there that they "over-recruited" recently.

HR are never genuinely concerned about any staff's welfare, they are there to protect the company from incurring, and to help cover up any liability caused by shoddy management. If HR are being 'nice' to you, you can be sure they are running to cover / bury any potential liability. Your manager probably has a track record of people mis-management.

This is interesting. HR person offered to pay me 4 weeks wages "while I get back on my feet." Is that the norm? I obviously accepted that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

This is interesting. HR person offered to pay me 4 weeks wages "while I get back on my feet." Is that the norm? I obviously accepted that offer.

Definitely not normal as you are not entitled to redundancy if you worked there less than two years.

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Definitely not normal as you are not entitled to redundancy if you worked there less than two years.

So just extremely generous HR or what? I dunno what to read into that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So just extremely generous HR or what? I dunno what to read into that?

Paying you to leave immediately rather than have you work out a months notice

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Paying you to leave immediately rather than have you work out a months notice

Fair enough if that's the case, if they aren't happy, and clearly from this thread I wasn't happy so that's not a bad resolution?

Advertisement