Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much detail does a workplace legally need when you are out?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fair enough if that's the case, if they aren't happy, and clearly from this thread I wasn't happy so that's not a bad resolution?

Its pretty normal tbh in your situation

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Stheno wrote: »
    Paying you to leave immediately rather than have you work out a months notice

Fair enough, I thought she meant they gave her a golden handshake to keep her sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

HR are never genuinely concerned about any staff's welfare, they are there to protect the company from incurring, and to help cover up any liability caused by shoddy management. If HR are being 'nice' to you, you can be sure they are running to cover / bury any potential liability. Your manager probably has a track record of people mis-management.

Ahh now ... that's a ridiculous generalisation! That would not be my experience except in one American multinational that I worked in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

HR are never genuinely concerned about any staff's welfare, they are there to protect the company from incurring, and to help cover up any liability caused by shoddy management. If HR are being 'nice' to you, you can be sure they are running to cover / bury any potential liability. Your manager probably has a track record of people mis-management.

You need to find a new place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Very similar situation in fact. I was shocked at being asked how and when I travelled home. Who was I attending too? What's wrong with them? This was all after I had said it's a family emergency, was told that's not enough, I replied "is that not a sufficient reason, there is no need for details here surely?". And I basically gave in to the pressure of a stern manager on the other side of the phone. Looking back I'm sorry I didn't hold my ground and say no I'm sorry but that's private. The more I think about it the more inappropriate I think it was that I was required to go into them details.

The point of FM leave is that "your" presence was essential and unavoidable. The employer is entitled to ascertain if indeed this was the case or as often happens employees throw out that they want FM to take a kid to the dentist appointment when that obviously isnt an emergency requiring only YOU to be there..
    I'd say the choice is give the information in confidence or risk a disciplinary. A generous employer may allow you take it from annual leave with a caution but many wouldn't.

Not to be rude, but the only employees I've questioned on this are those prone to absence and taking the piss in general, and some have resulted in disciplinary action.

• Advertisement
Advertisement