Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired Legs

Options
  • 20-07-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

DFDWsCGWAAESJ0G.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm always amazed at these pics. Surely having a femoral artery so exposed is not a good thing I'm amazed there aren't more serious bleed injuries in cycling.

Either way the man needs to up his sun cream game his lower quads look like brisket. Skin cancer is not a cool look.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Must be a phlebotomists dream - no poking around trying to find a vein there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Surely having a femoral artery so exposed is not a good thing
    i always assumed that if you could see it, it was a vein, not an artery?

i always assumed that if you could see it, it was a vein, not an artery?

I'm not to sure about that one but I'd be fairly confident that's his femoral artery with the veins feeding off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm not to sure about that one but I'd be fairly confident that's his femoral artery with the veins feeding off of it.

huh ?

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    huh ?

His legs are very vascular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

Sorry to be pedantic but that's his long saphenous vein and assorted tributaries feeding into it.

Doc07 wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but that's his long saphenous vein and assorted tributaries feeding into it.

I was just about to say looking at this it could well be the one you mention.

No harm being pedantic once you're right :D and yes feeding into it as opposed to off of it ;)

1200px-Venous_system_en.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Apparently about twice as much blood is circulated around his leg muscles compared to us mere cyclists with all those large veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

jntsnk wrote: »
    Apparently about twice as much blood is circulated around his leg muscles compared to us mere cyclists with all those large veins.

On the day the photo was taken, He'd been cycling in the Alps all day. So thin legs, lots of heat, twice as much blood as the rest of us and maybe a bit of dehydration too!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Veins don't feed into arteries. And arteries don't feed into veins.
    Arteries carry blood away from the heart down as far as the capillaries. Veins then carry the blood back to the heart.

Big arteries feed smaller arteries.
    Small veins feed bigger veins. (In general, terms get a bit more confusing around the heart and lungs.)

What you see there are all veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

French riders legs on a typical day!

25ewu1l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Those legs look fairly baked!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    French riders legs on a typical day!

25ewu1l.jpg

I'm desparately close to a joke involving Barguil and Baguette, but I just cant quite get there..

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

07Lapierre wrote: »
    On the day the photo was taken, He'd been cycling in the Alps all day. So thin legs, lots of heat, twice as much blood as the rest of us and maybe a bit of dehydration too!...

Agree with you and with the warm weather as well plus an untrained person has around five litres of blood, typically around 50 – 75ml per kilo — five to seven per cent — of body mass. A world-class endurance athlete can have two or three litres more in total, and as much as 150ml per kilo — 15 per cent — of body mass. Quite simply, Poljanski has twice as much blood in his body compared to the us average guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

To add to that, an Australian doctor commenting on this to ABC noted:

Blood flow to legs:
    Average person: 5L/min
    Untrained athlete at max: 20L/min
    Poljanski or similar: 40L/min

Massive amounts of blood, being pumped rapidly through the legs, for extended times such as a Grand Tour, will do that to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thejaguar wrote: »
    I'm desparately close to a joke involving Barguil and Baguette, but I just cant quite get there..
    i'm sure you'll rise to the occasion. stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Blood going both ways ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Either way the man needs to up his sun cream game his lower quads look like brisket. Skin cancer is not a cool look.

I use factor 50 every time I'm in the sun and my legs are similar colour to his. You saying I have skin cancer?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Blood going both ways ?

This has already been clarified.

• Advertisement

This has already been clarified.

Yes, so I see. It's still valid to comment though. It made me smile as I pictured oxygen rich and depleted blood in some sort of dual flow.

I read threads from oldest and post as I go. No harm in that.

Yes, so I see. It's still valid to comment though. It made me smile as I pictured oxygen rich and depleted blood in some sort of dual flow.

I read threads from oldest and post as I go. No harm in that.

It was a mistype on my part. Perhaps read the entire thread before passing comment in future. ;)

It was a mistype on my part. Perhaps read the entire thread before passing comment in future. ;)

We all make mistakes and I don't judge by those. I could have said more in my post but I didn't. I am happy with the process I follow reading threads as they often do not follow a linear discussion ...

It's a pretty unworkable suggestion to make that I or anybody should read a whole thread before posting. Some threads here it's totally impossible to do that and loads of people don't!

Let just move on from this.

We all make mistakes and I don't judge by those. I could have said more in my post but I didn't. I am happy with the process I follow reading threads as they often do not follow a linear discussion ...

It's a pretty unworkable suggestion to make that I or anybody should read a whole thread before posting. Some threads here it's totally impossible to do that and loads of people don't!

Let just move on from this.

18 posts before yours I can see how you might struggle alright :rolleyes:

Indeed as you say let's move on as clearly neither of us are bringing anything of use to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Advertisement