Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER Exemption

• 20-07-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi
    Would anyone be able to give an example of a 'building' with low installed heating capacity (less than 10W/m2) - as noted by SEAI as being exempt !
    thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

an agricultural cow shed

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

Thanks Syd
    I assume a shed with no power supply / lighting etc - but if it had T8 lighting installed would it meet the exemption requirement ?

descol wrote: »
    Thanks Syd
    I assume a shed with no power supply / lighting etc - but if it had T8 lighting installed would it meet the exemption requirement ?

from the regulations (Part L)

Low level of heating is considered to be where there is an installed heating capacity of less than 10W/m2. This includes buildings where heating and cooling systems are not provided, or are provided to only heat or cool a localized area rather than the entire enclosed volume of the space concerned eg. localized radiant heaters at a workstation in a generally unheated space. A low level of heating can also be considered to apply where spaces are heated to a level substantially less than those normally provided for human comfort e.g. to protect a warehouse from condensation or frost. In these situations all fixed building services should meet the guidance in for heating systems in section 1.4.1 or 2.2. Fabric should have a U value appropriate for the heating
    system provided and in no case greater than 0.7 W/(m2K). If a part of a building with low energy demand is partitioned off eg. an office in an unheated warehouse then the partitioned area should be treated as a separate building and the guidance for fabric applied from section 1.3 or 2.1. Where the occupancy level or level of heating required when in use cannot be established at construction stage, the building should be treated as fully heated and the provisions of Part L applied accordingly. It should be noted that the provisions of Part L apply where a material change of use occurs and such a change of use may require specific construction measures to comply with Part L.
    These measures may prove more costly than if carried out at the time of initial construction.

Syd - thanks again
    So, suppose there is an Ag shed of 30sqm with 6 sets of twin T8s fluorescent fittings installed.
    Each twin T8 = c.30 watts - thereby giving total of 360 watts for the 30sqm building = 12W/m2 - which is over the exemption criteria of 10W/m2
    making a BER cert a requirement - Would you think I am correct in this thinking ?
    your comments appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

descol wrote: »
    Syd - thanks again
    So, suppose there is an Ag shed of 30sqm with 6 sets of twin T8s fluorescent fittings installed.
    Each twin T8 = c.30 watts - thereby giving total of 360 watts for the 30sqm building = 12W/m2 - which is over the exemption criteria of 10W/m2
    making a BER cert a requirement - Would you think I am correct in this thinking ?
    your comments appreciated
    installed capacity or installed heat capacity? Maybe that's the exemption there - the T8s aren't for heating

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    installed capacity or installed heat capacity? Maybe that's the exemption there - the T8s aren't for heating

I agree with this.

No heating system generally means exempt.

thanks
    that sorts it - My misunderstanding on - heating/ lighting

Advertisement