Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in kilkenny, commuting to Dublin

Options
  • 20-07-2017 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am hoping to move my family to Kilkenny city. My children go to a gaelscoil where we are living at the moment. My husband works in Dublin, he may be able to work at home a couple of days a week and stay in Dublin a couple.

So here are my questions! Are we stone mad?? Does anyone out there have a similar situation? Does anyone know about the gaelscoil??

I am the driving force behind the move so if anyone can help me out with advantages that would be brill.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I did this for a few years and I highly recommend you DON'T do it unless your husband can get it written into his contract that he gets a set amount of working from home days a week. It wasn't written into my contract and although my office initially supported it, they suddenly started scheduling meetings for the days I was supposed to be working from home until eventually I was never allowed to work from home.

I found that commuting was fine for a few months but it's just not sustainable. I was getting the train to Dublin and working roughly 8 - 4 in the office. I was out of the house from 5.30am - 7.30pm every day which might not sound too bad but I was exhausted all the time. I never had the energy to do anything in the evening and I often felt that I was getting home, having dinner and going to bed.

If your husband could find work here or guarantee that he can work at least 2 days from home it might be manageable but other than that, I'd be looking for alternative arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I am commuting 11 years now. 3 days a week and home the rest. There are people car pooling too which make it easier.
    The school is great. I know plenty of people with kids there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Really depends on your working situation and where in dublin- ie can you get the train?
    I'd imagine every day would be very difficult but if it were say 3 days with flexibility then yes, definitely possible and worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

my husband works in dublin 2-4 days a week, cork some weeks for 2 days and works from home 1 or 2 days. he leaves at 5 and is home by 4, so it works. i work from home so im also available for the kids during the day. its not ideal, but defo nicer than living in dublin. would be more difficult if i wasn't working from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JimTreacy

Most jobs there is a certain amount of travel involved gone are the days when you go in the same door every morning all your working life go home at five that's it for the day. Its up to the family to make it work a sister of mine came home the summer 2011 to see my mother it was her children made her move they opened a b/b do catering it was the best move they made but its hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

I drive up and down every day. Luckily I have a company vehicle so it doesn't cost me a cent. Its not the worse thing in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chah

I've been commuting for past 15 months....anywhere between 2 and 5 days a week.... Up early , home early. It works for us. Kk is a great place to live

Advertisement