Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does bank debt stop you from entering Australia

• 20-07-2017 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys. I've heard this a few times that any debt has to be paid to the bank before leaving or you can be refused?.

I'm planning on going in 2019 and will still have a loan with the bank to be paid with 2 years remaining.

I was planning on paying the debt over in Australia by transferring to my account back home.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?.

Thanks,

Gerard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Unless your bank debt has you on an interpol watchlist ive no idea how australian immigration would have any idea about an outstanding loan you owe to an irish bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No Australian law prevents people who own money from entering Australia. There are a few categories of visa where demonstrating your financial standing and solvency is relevant to the visa application, but this isn't the case for tourist visas, working holiday visas or 457s.

The bank would rather you settled your debts before leaving the country, but there's sod-all they can do about it, beyond enforcing any security they may hold if you default.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

No should be all good. Oz immigration will not be interested in accounts from Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It has no bearing at all. For example, I know people with houses and mortgages in ireland who are living in australia.
    Your personal finances are on no interest to immigration, other than showing you means to support yourself on a visa where you can't legally work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Yes. I was put on a return flight recently because of an outstanding overdraft*

*it's not true. i'm just trying to scare the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mate had large bank debt when he moved to oz for a couple of years in order to pay it off. All worked out pretty well for him, paid it off in no time while working the mines. Be grand op, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Paid my loan off while I was over there too, wot be an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

G.Murphy wrote: »
    Hi guys. I've heard this a few times that any debt has to be paid to the bank before leaving or you can be refused?.

I'm planning on going in 2019 and will still have a loan with the bank to be paid with 2 years remaining.

I was planning on paying the debt over in Australia by transferring to my account back home.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?.

Thanks,

Gerard

The Australian authorities want to know if you are liquid enough to support yourself. That's all.

Loads of people go to Australia with debts.

You'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

G.Murphy wrote: »

Damn, am I banned form Australia for the next 27 years?

Advertisement