Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Fire - 3Arena - Friday April 6th 2018

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

Understand what some were saying about the sound. I couldn't understand a word when they were speaking and there was definitely one or two tracks where it was a bit of a garbled mess. Creature Comfort sounded rubbish from where I was standing.

Stage set up was good too. Felt like everyone was right at the front instead of being crushed and spread out.

Where were you standing? I was on will's side of the stage and I thought creature comforts sounded amazing.

Highlight for me was Headlights (along with Tunnels/ Power Out etc. etc.). Really hoping I get to hear In The Backseat and Antichrist Television Blues live someday.

I enjoyed kettles but thought the crowd were a bit chatty for such a quiet song. The crowd also took away from my enjoyment of the song I was looking forward to the most: We Don't Deserve Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The massive amount of smoke towards the end was surreal. So much of it and then red lights resulting in not being able to see the band was fairly amazing & almost demonic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dinneenp wrote: »
    The massive amount of smoke towards the end was surreal. So much of it and then red lights resulting in not being able to see the band was fairly amazing & almost demonic

Yeah agree, we were against the stage barrier and were totally fog bound, the red lights cutting through it and the vague outlines of Will and Sara Neufeld was surreal.

Also, the virtual ring ropes made of white light were visually brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

ngunners wrote: »
    Where were you standing? I was on will's side of the stage and I thought creature comforts sounded amazing.

Highlight for me was Headlights (along with Tunnels/ Power Out etc. etc.). Really hoping I get to hear In The Backseat and Antichrist Television Blues live someday.

I enjoyed kettles but thought the crowd were a bit chatty for such a quiet song. The crowd also took away from my enjoyment of the song I was looking forward to the most: We Don't Deserve Love.

I was on the side with the bongos. I think Creature Comfort just has a lot going on that it's easy to lose some of it in a live setting.

I would have loved Intervention but otherwise it was a near perfect set for me. Have seen them a few times before so have seen most of the songs over time but to have a few new additions from the back catalogue was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

I was on the side with the bongos. I think Creature Comfort just has a lot going on that it's easy to lose some of it in a live setting.

I would have loved Intervention but otherwise it was a near perfect set for me. Have seen them a few times before so have seen most of the songs over time but to have a few new additions from the back catalogue was a nice touch.

Yeah, Intervention is an amazing song live.

What struck me during the show was how strong their back catalogue is now. Even though a lot of people were disappointed with the last album they'll have added some great songs for the next tour. I hope they keep going for at least two or three more albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Yeah, Intervention is an amazing song live.

What struck me during the show was how strong their back catalogue is now. Even though a lot of people were disappointed with the last album they'll have added some great songs for the next tour. I hope they keep going for at least two or three more albums.

I'd love to know what some people who don't like the new album thought of the new tunes at the Point? I'm one of the ones who love the album so to be honest each of them was a highlight really.

Electric Blue was just entrancing. I felt like I was INSIDE the song... That glorious, glorious witch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'm not mad about the new album but not as cold on it as some people are so others may have stronger views than me but I thought the new stuff was fine.

Creature Comfort, as I mentioned already, didn't sound great to me but Everything Now and Electric Blue were very good. Put Your Money On Me is a great song and I'd have liked Signs of Life as its another strong song I think. They left out all the weakest cuts as far as I can see - chemistry, Peter pan, infinite content so that helped. A big issue with the album, IMO, is that it has 3/4 bad songs but they run into each other so it feels a slog to get through that section. The latter half all sounds good then.

I will say, though, that while the new songs sounded good, all my highlights would be older stuff like Rebellion, No Cars Go, Headlights.., My Body is a Cage, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The gig was the first at the 3arena I truly loved, and was also the first I was seated at. Far more enjoyable than standing. I dunno. I feel it loses the atmosphere when standing, due to that awful open area at the back going to the bars. Everyone was dancing away up in the seating. So much more comfortable, even though it got a little warm. They musta been cutting back on air conditioning, and also bar staff. The speed and lack of people behind the bar in the upper bars was a disgrace.

The band were epic though. Loved how they broke down the barriers to the crowd, singing and walking through them at will. The staging was so simple yet effective, the lighting was some of the best I've seen, yet again quite simple. Not 1 weak song, even though I wasn't familiar at all with that early LP they played.

Wonderful stuff really. The atmosphere built a little slowly but was a crescendo at the end with Wake up. Mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

I feel it loses the atmosphere when standing, due to that awful open area at the back going to the bars.

Agree 100% - The stuff thats all hidden away behind seats in any properly designed arena is ridiculously prominent. It looks crap, the sound under the balcony is utterly atrocious and all the reverb from it badly impacts the overall sound in the arena. Unless you are right up close to the stage the atmosphere is seriously affected by all the moving about and people chatting by the bars.

The solution is to wall off the arena from the bar area or at least hang massive curtains to create some division. It seriously needs something because right now the 3 arena isn't great for standing gigs. Leeds arena is very similar shape to 3 Arena and they have the curtains: https://goo.gl/images/oBpwef https://goo.gl/images/oBpwef

In fairness Arcade Fire's show was amazing and they managed to transcend the limitations of the space. I'd love to see them again in a proper arena like the 02 in London or even the Odyssey in Belfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

citycentre wrote: »

The solution is to wall off the arena from the bar area or at least hang massive curtains to create some division.

I've seen those curtains being used under the balcony at some of the more theatrical events at the 3Arena like Cirque Du Soleil, so they do have them and can use them.

But then again, God forbid that there would be any impediment between an Irish audience and their drink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Jgordo wrote: »
    Hey guys. I thought it was great gig. I was actually lucky enough to be pulled into a little circle to dance with regine chassagne. If anyone has any video or photos of this I'd love to see it. I'd say it was on the big screen too. I was just so excited and conscious of the cameras and just kept saying to myself just keep dancing just keep dancing. Cheers.

Wow, it only took 8 minutes to get that video sent to you, bloody crazy! Welcome to 2018 :pac:

Raging I couldn't make this gig, sounded epic in the truest sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

newb990 wrote: »
    Yeah I saw them in Malahide last June and the new tracks sound way better live. I hadn't even heard the new album yet at the time and still enjoyed them.

You were dead right! having not really rated songs like 'Electric Blue' and 'We don't deserve love', they're now my two favourite songs on the album. Seeing them performed live really gives you a better appreciation for them.

An excellent gig, topped off by them walking right passed me on their way out. Think my ears are still ringing from 'Creature Comfort'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Unreal gig. I'll always hold Electric Picnic 2005 up as the best show of theirs because it was the time, the place, the atmosphere and that album. This show may be the second best to that, I enjoyed the hell out of it. We watched from the left side with Will predominantly playing. I'd loved to have been there as they walked in/out though. That looked like so much fun.

As much as I loved hearing Headlights Look Like Diamonds and Kettles, I think they got lost in the crowd, and the talking took over. HLLD didn't feel as powerful as their performances during Funeral tour but I still loved hearing it.

I'm now very tempted to try see them elsewhere on the tour.
    There's a video on Twitter and it looks like he knocked the hat off by accident...

Just looked it up there, it was 100% on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

We were chatting in the car on the way up about what new songs we were looking forward to hearing live, Creature Comfort was one of those.

Holy Sh!t, it didn’t disappoint!!...everything about it, the intro, the lights....it’s been blaring in my car every morning this week on the way to work!

I honestly don't get the hate for the new album. It has some savage tunes, proven live even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I honestly don't get the hate for the new album. It has some savage tunes, proven live even more so.

To be fair there are some stinkers (which seem to have been dropped from the live show) - Chemistry and Peter Pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

There are some good songs on it but as a whole it feels more throwaway and less deep than their previous albums IMO.

To be fair there are some stinkers (which seem to have been dropped from the live show) - Chemistry and Peter Pan.

They'll never play all the songs live though. Definitely not their strongest songs, but the album as a whole stands up mighty fine. I personally don't even skip the 2 above! Silly but fun!

They'll never play all the songs live though. Definitely not their strongest songs, but the album as a whole stands up mighty fine. I personally don't even skip the 2 above! Silly but fun!

Totally, the songs aren't the highlights but where they are place din the album makes it a very enjoyable listening experience! No skips here

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Regine is some legend, that is all...

• Advertisement

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Regine is some legend, that is all...

To be fair, you are right.

She has popped into my mind several times a day since Saturday.

Sprawl II was quite a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Was at the gig as my wife is a big fan. I find their music a bit samey. Every song just has a chanty singalong melody chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

clio_16v wrote: »
    Was at the gig as my wife is a big fan. I find their music a bit samey. Every song just has a chanty singalong melody chorus.

Thats the great thing about music...opinions can be divided. One thing you cant take away from AF is there is probably no better live experience out there.

Can we agree on that :D

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Thats the great thing about music...opinions can be divided. One thing you cant take away from AF is there is probably no better live experience out there.

Can we agree on that :D

We can't really agree.. I thought it was more like going to a play or something. Everyone was acting the rockstar on stage or something. It all looked very forced to me.
    Sound was very good in there i thought, good atmosphere etc. Their music lends itself perfectly to a crowd chanting along.

Basically I didnt connect with it at all

We can't really agree.. I thought it was more like going to a play or something. Everyone was acting the rockstar on stage or something. It all looked very forced to me.
    Sound was very good in there i thought, good atmosphere etc. Their music lends itself perfectly to a crowd chanting along.

Wow, I have to say that they seemed like the least-forced band I'd ever seen. Everything seemed so natural, and each instrument seemed to be just an extension of the person playing it. There was theatricality alright, but at no point did I feel it overwhelmed the music or the performance itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

You my friend are dead inside...i give up on you lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

songs with melodic choruses you can sing along to, whatever next?!

Wow, I have to say that they seemed like the least-forced band I'd ever seen. Everything seemed so natural, and each instrument seemed to be just an extension of the person playing it. There was theatricality alright, but at no point did I feel it overwhelmed the music or the performance itself.

Maybe it was the theatre of the whole thing i didn't like. As I said, atomosphere was good, crowd were great, sound was very good. 2nd time seeing them and I guess they're just not my cup of tea

Advertisement