Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle route and cafe stops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Not sure about cafes but there has to be plenty as I only stopped in the big Supervalue just at the harbour with lovely monster rolls!

If you are going to do the Conor pass (on your 2nd route) I would look at taking the left on the far side of the pass (your turning point)and going towards Cloughane out to the tip of Brandon point...nice quiet road a few tourists cars with a lovely view at the end...albeit a cul de sac
    Theres is a pub in the model village (little harbour before Brandon point)too if you are planning a stop nearly sure it was open as I passed through...

Going through Ventry stop in and have a pint/tea in Paidi O Sheas pub...Worth a look at all his meet and greet photos alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

There are a nice few cafes on the Slea Head Drive - if you get out there on a nice day there's not much to beat it on the whole island, so definitely any one of them would be a good place for a stop*. In the town of Dingle itself Cupan Tae (close to the bus stops) always seems to have space even if the town is full of tourists, and at the same time is welcoming and relaxing.

* If you're interested in this kind of thing, on the Slea Head Drive you pass a graveyard that slants down to the sea looking out at the Blaskets. Peig Sayers grave is there - you could go in and say a silent word of thanks on behalf of grateful generations of Leaving Cert Irish students;)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Dún Chaoin is a midwayish point on your first day. There's a café in the Blasket Interpretive Centre there that has a fantastic view out of it. Either that or go a bit further to Cafe Áine - also a great view.
    I'd second Cloghane for the second days stop. If you have a nice day the quay at Brandon Creek is a great place to sit and relax.
    You'd have a spread of choices on your third day - there's a middlin place to eat on Inch Beach, which is a cool place to stop at. You could go on to Camp village or even on to Stradbally if you want to eat just before your monster Conor Pass N/S climb.
    No shortage of pubs serving sandwiches etc all along the route.
    One thing to bear in mind is that traffic is recommended to go one way around Slea Head - from Ventry to Dún Chaoin. It looks like that's what you're doing anyway. It doesn't really apply to bikes but it's definitely easier to go with the flow around there than facing off against buses on the tight corners.
    I'd recommend getting out of Dingle town early. It's jammed with coach tours, tourists and traffic.
    To be honest you might find the roads very busy on the whole peninsula. You've done well to plan away from the n86 as much as possible. If you can take a small road instead of a big road I'd do it, it'll be much more enjoyable.

Advertisement