Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Stupid Question] Which way does my X face

Options
  • 20-07-2017 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

So I really can't wrap my tiny mind around this. My house faces North West, so does that mean my back garden faces SE or does it face NW like the house. Does the front garden face NW too or SE.

This is a stupid question, but not a wind up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Whatever way you want it to face maaaan ... depending if your off your face at the time of facing this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The question is so stupid as to garner the above type of responses (any being appreciated), once the thread is definitively answered please do feel free to pop it into AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

So I really can't wrap my tiny mind around this. My house faces North West, so does that mean my back garden faces SE or does it face NW like the house. Does the front garden face NW too or SE.

I think most people would say SE, as in, if you're looking out the back window, you'd be facing SE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Geographically, if the front wall of your house is facing NW, then your front garden would also be NW.

However, generally speaking when people refer to gardens facing a certain direction, they mean from which direction it receives direct sun light. So depending on the size of your garden and any obstructions (other houses, trees), it could very well also be west or south west facing from that perspective.

Edit: I misread your post. You were asking about your back garden. Same logic applies. Faces South East but could get sun from East, South and possibly West if garden is big enough and no obstructions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

When people talk about a house's aspect, they almost always mean the back wall, though note that advertised aspects in estate agent ads are often wildly inaccurate; if it's a concern you can get a good idea from Google Maps and check when you view with a compass (most modern phones have a compass).

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote: »
    When people talk about a house's aspect, they almost always mean the back wall, though note that advertised aspects in estate agent ads are often wildly inaccurate; if it's a concern you can get a good idea from Google Maps and check when you view with a compass (most modern phones have a compass).

So am I right in thinking that's me looking out over my back garden that's 'South East facing'.

...And no you can't have any of the €20K you just added to my house value :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If we take house 17 here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,716122,730682,11,10 it has a south facing front garden and a north facing rear garden.

South facing rear gardens are usually preferred for gardening, barbecues, sun bathing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

There's a compass on most smart phones these days..that would tell ya!

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    There's a compass on most smart phones these days..that would tell ya!

Not if you don't know where to point it :pac:

Advertisement