Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City to Killarney; Commutable?

Options
  • 20-07-2017 5:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How long does it take to drive from Cork City out to Killarney?

Would it be commutable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

CatFromHue wrote: »

Would it be commutable?

75 minutes. I would not commute that far honestly...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've done that before from in Dublin to somewhere else in Dublin.

Is that 75 mins accurate?

On Google maps it says it's about 85Km on what looks like a good enough road, I've never driven it, so thought you might be able to bring down that 75 mins by a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

From which side of cork to which part of kilarney?

From ballincollig to the county bounds, the road varies from bad to terrible. It's not 85 km of motorway driving.

Wait until September a do a test run when the schools are back, and traffic is heavy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Would it be commutable?

From Cork city centre it's closer to 90kms and 90 minutes travel time.

The road is pretty terrible from Lissarda to the Killarney side of Ballyvourney which is approx. 30kms of the total 90kms.

Macroom is a terrible bottleneck and the road from there to Ballyvourney is narrow with few overtaking opportunities.

On a bad day with an accident or roadworks the trip could take hours. On a really bad day it could take several hours both ways...

Commuting that route would be hell IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The road is shocking in places. Macroom is a nightmare but there are some rat runs. If you're working on the western fringes you won't face the horrors of the south ring.

There may be a commuter train option, it'll take about 90 minutes and be less stressful if the train stations were convenient to home/work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I know someone who used to do it but wouldn't unless I was desperate or had the option to work from home some of the time (which she did). That road is dire. Wait til you get to the middle of winter with ice or snow and you'd really regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I've done that before from in Dublin to somewhere else in Dublin.

Is that 75 mins accurate?

On Google maps it says it's about 85Km on what looks like a good enough road, I've never driven it, so thought you might be able to bring down that 75 mins by a bit.

No, 75 min is possible, but on the optimistic side...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Depends on what part of Cork to what part of Killarney.

Western end of Cork near the N40/Ballincollig bypass would get you out to the N22 fairly rapidly.

Having to cross Killarney durng summer can take time too.

This will all change when the Macroom bypass is built, and it should take an hour or less; but that's 4-5 years away unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm from Killarney but now I live in Cork city. I drive home a good bit. I drive from the North Mall in the city (I'd go through Sundays well, carrigrohane road, onto the dual carriageway) to Park Road in Killarney. I've done it in an hour many times but takes about 1hr 20mins usually.

It's a bollox of a road. Constantly stuck between lorries, often roadworks and accidents, Macroom is a nightmare. Although there is a shortcut through Macroom but doesn't make a huge difference. That road between Macroom and Ballyvourney isn't great. The sooner they build the bypass the better!

Saying that I know a good few people who commute the opposite way. Killarney to Cork. A friend of mine is nurse and doesn't mind the commute at all. She works 3 day weeks though so would be easier.

I couldn't do it though! Not a hope. Not the most commutable road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Currently working with a guy who does it. He is about 1 year in now and just got a job back in Killarney. The bones of 3 hours a day spent communting is fine for a short period, but long term isnt sustainable.

Had a lecturer before who did Killorgan - Cork 4 days a week. Long aul trek, massive millage racked up. Think he had been doing it for over a decade at that stage if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Surely a Mon-Thurs room in a house in Killarney would be better than paying all that commuting money.

But I am guessing family back home may be an issue. But when would you see them anyway!

Best of luck. I wouldn't drive that distance twice a day for anyone though. Sorry bout that.

Advertisement