Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fenns Quay restaurant closed

Options
  • 20-07-2017 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Sad day for Cork as Fenns Quay closed it's doors today. Kate and the crew have worked so hard - I loved the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It sounds like its by choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

What a shame,that was a great little restaurant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

TheDriver wrote: »
    It sounds like its by choice?

from reading the post on fb - her post would imply that it was a forced decision perhaps - like she had had enough of what ever difficulty has been going on.. and the comments would certainly back this up = unless everyone is assuming so

very sad - a great Local restaurant - i brought friends there recently - one being a chef - and they loved it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Sounds like she lost the will to fight.

• Advertisement

PS
    opus wrote: »

"death by an thousand cuts" so sad..

with increase in parking fee's, VAT etc.. wouldn't you think that the government would make incentives for such businesses to work - instead of creating such situations and having more people signing on.. something v wrong there

PS did Kate own fenns quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Sad to hear, but not surprising with all the parking restrictions that have been implemented by the corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

FrStone wrote: »
    Sad to hear, but not surprising with all the parking restrictions that have been implemented by the corporation.

Yes, because the key to a successful city centre restaurant is clearly car parking.

The best restaurants attract customers if their offer is good enough. Car parking should be irrelevant. And it is. If a restaurant in a city centre is good enough, people will make it their business to go there regardless of access and parking constraints. This is supposed to be a city, not a suburb or a provincial country town.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

mire wrote: »

Yes, because the key to a successful city centre restaurant is clearly car parking.

The best restaurants attract customers if their offer is good enough. Car parking should be irrelevant. And it is. If a restaurant in a city centre is good enough, people will make it their business to go there regardless of access and parking constraints. This is supposed to be a city, not a suburb or a provincial country town.

It might not fit in with your ideology, but there have been 15,000 less cars in the city. If town is difficult to access people will avoid it.

Very few people live in the city, so most customers will drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

It might not fit in with your ideology, but there have been 15,000 less cars in the city. If town is difficult to access people will avoid it.

Nonsense excuse. By your logic, there'd be no successful restaurants in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We're starting to avoid the city centre, plenty of places to eat if you look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

roundymac wrote: »
    We're starting to avoid the city centre, plenty of places to eat if you look around.

The closure may be more to do with competition I feel than that list of reasons above. Plenty of places around as you say. Easy to blame the council for everything but there is a lot of competition around now that the economy has picked up and in fairness, Fenns Quay was a little bit out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Nonsense excuse. By your logic, there'd be no successful restaurants in the city centre.

Fenns Quay was in an awkward place for bus routes so many people drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It was a 5 min walk from Patrick Street. I'd say there is nowhere awkward in the city.

We had a few guys visiting from another office this week at work. They went out Tuesday night for dinner and only got a table in the third place they went to because the first two places were full. Another night my manager was trying to book a table for a Thursday night a few days before and rang about 4 or 5 places before he could get a bookin so town sounds plenty busy to me.

bee06 wrote: »
    It was a 5 min walk from Patrick Street. I'd say there is nowhere awkward in the city.

We had a few guys visiting from another office this week at work. They went out Tuesday night for dinner and only got a table in the third place they went to because the first two places were full. Another night my manager was trying to book a table for a Thursday night a few days before and rang about 4 or 5 places before he could get a bookin so town sounds plenty busy to me.

But it is not on the way to anywhere really. You have to make a conscious decision to go there. And as you say, people wonder around trying places...you are not going to go to Fenns Quay when doing that..you stay more central. Yes it may only be 5 mins...but there are loads of closer places you would try first. They would miss out on passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Ludo wrote: »
    But it is not on the way to anywhere really. You have to make a conscious decision to go there. And as you say, people wonder around trying places...you are not going to go to Fenns Quay when doing that..you stay more central. Yes it may only be 5 mins...but there are loads of closer places you would try first. They would miss out on passing trade.

That hasn't changed in the last 20 years though.

bee06 wrote: »
    That hasn't changed in the last 20 years though.

The amount and variety of competition has.

they were v busy at night but probably not during the day...

such a pity as i loved the food there.. and like i said before - it was local and good food etc.. shame in light of all the muck we are being offered these day sin town what with dougnuts and more asian stuff that the chicken flew over as oppose to ending up on the wok etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    and more asian stuff that the chicken flew over as oppose to ending up on the wok etc

Wha???

Wha???

as in dishes that have a tiny amounts of chicken in them.. thought that that would have been oubious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ludo wrote: »
    The amount and variety of competition has.

This is essentially their problem. Fenns quay is probably the same distance (if not less) from Daunts Square, than the length of Patrick's St. So it's not like they were in the middle of no-where.

This is essentially their problem. Fenns quay is probably the same distance (if not less) from Daunts Square, than the length of Patrick's St. So it's not like they were in the middle of no-where.

its not about distance - its about location = it would not have the same passing trade

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think that this is not 100% right, but it is on the right track. Although it was only 5 minutes from Patrick Street and located on the 205, one of Cork's most heavily-used bus routes, Fenn's Quay did have the benefit of plentiful street parking nearby on the Mardyke and around the Mercy. That's quite unusual for a city centre restaurant. It's possible that a lot of the regular evening clientele were used to driving in and finding a (free) parking space nearby.  When the Council started to charge for evening parking, and some parking places were taken away for bike lanes and stations, they lost that advantage.
    I'm sorry to see it go. I only visited a few times, but it was always very good.

sporina wrote: »
    its not about distance - its about location = it would not have the same passing trade

I'd buy that as an excuse for a coffee shop, but not for a restaurant that had a bit of a name. Sure it's going to impact business, but a good restaurant's reputation should ensure that it's able to cope with being (every so slightly) off the beaten track.

Again, I think their issue was a lack of ambition if anything. There was more and more food offering/cuisines springing up and they never really seemed to up their game. It just seemed a bit dull to me. If they'd being chasing awards and pushing up the value chain things may have been different.

I think the way we consume food has moved on dramatically in the last few years. We have a city full of burger bars/ street food/gastro pubs etc. The top end of the market appears to be squeezed.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I think the way we consume food has moved on dramatically in the last few years. We have a city full of burger bars/ street food/gastro pubs etc. The top end of the market appears to be squeezed.

I'm not sure I follow. How would they impact the top end? I'm not even sure we have a top end to be honest.

I'm not sure I follow. How would they impact the top end? I'm not even sure we have a top end to be honest.

people are going for cheaper options at the expense of traditional/top end restaurant. The market hasn't grown but the customer has shifted.

• Advertisement

Looks to me like they just want out of the game.
    Went there once, was grand, was never tempted to go again.

Advertisement