Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fenns Quay restaurant closed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cape Clear wrote: »
    people are going for cheaper options at the expense of traditional/top end restaurant. The market hasn't grown but the customer has shifted.

I dine out every weekend, and it seems to me it's getting harder to get into nice places in town (Orso, Elbow Lane.. tried Jacobs on the Mall one Saturday afternoon without a reservation and they nearly laughed at me :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

I'd buy that as an excuse for a coffee shop, but not for a restaurant that had a bit of a name. Sure it's going to impact business, but a good restaurant's reputation should ensure that it's able to cope with being (every so slightly) off the beaten track.

Again, I think their issue was a lack of ambition if anything. There was more and more food offering/cuisines springing up and they never really seemed to up their game. It just seemed a bit dull to me. If they'd being chasing awards and pushing up the value chain things may have been different.

they had plenty of awards under their belt.. and they were inventive - using ingredients such a carrageenan, samphire etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

sporina wrote: »
    they were v busy at night but probably not during the day...

such a pity as i loved the food there.. and like i said before - it was local and good food etc.. shame in light of all the muck we are being offered these day sin town what with dougnuts and more asian stuff that the chicken flew over as oppose to ending up on the wok etc

I think the Asian and burrito trends were an overall plus for the city. Some restaurants were better than others but the bad ones tend not to stick around. Even Ramen is ok for fast food and is great value with the deals, I can't stand their curries but I think their Thai noodle dishes are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

they had plenty of awards under their belt.. and they were inventive - using ingredients such a carrageenan, samphire etc..

Wow samphire. Is it 2012 already. Seriously though, I'm talking something more noteworthy than winning best children's menu (which is kinda cool in fairness, but maybe also a sign that they were heading in the wrong direction)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I'd buy that as an excuse for a coffee shop, but not for a restaurant that had a bit of a name. Sure it's going to impact business, but a good restaurant's reputation should ensure that it's able to cope with being (every so slightly) off the beaten track.

Again, I think their issue was a lack of ambition if anything. There was more and more food offering/cuisines springing up and they never really seemed to up their game. It just seemed a bit dull to me. If they'd being chasing awards and pushing up the value chain things may have been different.

Nice restaurant but award winning?? Not so sure it was anything special. Ffs samphire it's not exactly moondust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement