Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a GPS tracker(GSM) for a drone, whats the deal with GSM?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're not new to GSM (unless very young), you've been using it since 1993 if you owned a mobile then.

As such its ancient and end of life, providers are building 3G/4G sites now and not bothering with 2G service. If you're buying a tracker get one thats UMTS/WCDMA capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

ED E wrote: »
    You're not new to GSM (unless very young), you've been using it since 1993 if you owned a mobile then.

As such its ancient and end of life, providers are building 3G/4G sites now and not bothering with 2G service. If you're buying a tracker get one thats UMTS/WCDMA capable.

Thanks for your reply, I know what it is and I know Mobile operators in Ireland is going away from 2g, with the introduction of 3g/4g and 5g in further.

With research I have done online, it seems nearly all cheaply priced GPS trackers all use 2g. Expensive GPS tracking eg trackimo uses 3g.

I'll keep hunting, thanks for the reply.

Advertisement