Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB tyres , going up in width

Options
  • 20-07-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

My full suspension that I use for the ballyhouras mostly is in need of at least a new front tyre if not a rear also . The tryes on it now are 26 x 1.35 . I wondered if fitting 26 x 1.4 would make much difference . A few people have said stick to the 1.35s as the 1.4s will have more rolling reistance and weight but to be honest im not looking for speed , I'd happily take more control , stability and grip even if it meant more draggy tyres . Would a bit wider make a difference ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Hi ,

My full suspension that I use for the ballyhouras mostly is in need of at least a new front tyre if not a rear also . The tryes on it now are 26 x 1.35 . I wondered if fitting 26 x 1.4 would make much difference . A few people have said stick to the 1.35s as the 1.4s will have more rolling reistance and weight but to be honest im not looking for speed , I'd happily take more control , stability and grip even if it meant more draggy tyres . Would a bit wider make a difference ?

You sure it's 1.35" and not 2.35? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If it's stability and grip you're after wider and softer which will lead you down the tubeless route. ;)

Who cares about rolling resistance when you're hurtling down a hill out of control ��

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Sorry I meant 2.35 to 2.4 not 1.35 to 1.4

the tyres on it now are tubeless and whatever size new ones I get will be tubeless too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You probably won't notice a huge difference in that jump but if you're changing them anyway why not. Try a different make/model also you'll find a massive difference from one to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

2.35 and 2.4 - important to realise that one company's 2.4 could actually be narrower than another's 2.35!

• Advertisement

Would even a bit wider like 2.5 be a good move ? I was going for 2.4 as the 2.5 tyres all semed to be marked as Down hill tyres and Im just using the bike for general trail riding , that is if I can fit 2.5 s in the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Would even a bit wider like 2.5 be a good move ? I was going for 2.4 as the 2.5 tyres all semed to be marked as Down hill tyres and Im just using the bike for general trail riding , that is if I can fit 2.5 s in the frame
    You could start running out of clearance between tyre and frame/fork with 2.5s.
    A good quality tyre that's matched to where you ride should be more of a priority than size. As iwillftfu mentioned, going tubeless brings massive amounts of grip and control because it allows you to run lower pressures.
    What tyre do you run at the moment? And what pressure do you run them at?

Lust ignitor 2.35 tubeless run at the lowest recommended on the sidewalk , 30psi , not unhappy with them once I realized that lowest pressure felt best and so I'm wondering if I could push for even more grip with a wider tyre as the front is worn to having no knobbly bits in the center and rear looks jaded too so they are due changing anyway

Eyeing up a set of Continental trail Kings 26 x 2.4, Anyone tried them ? , Is this possibly overkill for the Ballyhouras / trail centre stuff ? maybe I should just get a fat bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Lust ignitor 2.35 tubeless run at the lowest recommended on the sidewalk , 30psi , not unhappy with them once I realized that lowest pressure felt best and so I'm wondering if I could push for even more grip with a wider tyre as the front is worn to having no knobbly bits in the center and rear looks jaded too so they are due changing anyway

30 psi is high, I'd be inclined to ignore the min pressure written on the sidewall.

• Advertisement

Ill play around with lower pressure , I do weigh in around 100kg though without my gear , water and pack so I reckon the 30 psi could be about right for me

Finding new tires seems like a minefield , rim width has to be in a certain range for certain wider tyres and also it seems hard to find a 2.4 that is actually a 2.4 ,then some tyres seem to run well tubeless and other not so much . I'm thinking Ill just get another maxxis ignitor and play it safe

Advertisement