Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calories.

• 20-07-2017 6:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi,

See attached pic. When people say things like: oh that snickers bar is 250 calories.

What figure are they referring to in the attached ?

I presume is the "kcal" entry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

yes, they are referring to the kcal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Mars Bar wrote: »
    yes, they are referring to the kcal

Thanks so "kcal" is the one to look out for.

I know that calories are bad. However, what would be a moderate amount of these type "treat" calories to have in a day .....100 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I know that calories are bad. However, what would be a moderate amount of these type "treat" calories to have in a day .....100 ?

Calories aren't bad they are the fuel your body runs on. You need calories to live!

As for treats it depends how many calories do you eat in a day? There's no point saying eat 100calories of treats if you're trying to lose weight but don't have the faintest idea how much you eat in a day VS how much you burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Calories are not bad...they are the energy source our bodies need to survive! It's the type of calories and amount that you need to watch out for.

You could have 100kcal "treat" but eat poorly all day and it won't amount to any weight loss. Or you could have a 300kcal but eat really well the rest of the day and lose weight. So it's all in context to what else is going on in your daily food diary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Completely depends on you as an individual, your height, weight and an activity level.

100 cals may be 10% of your daily intake or it could be 5%. So really no one can give you an answer of how many "treat" calories you should be aiming for.

Ideally 90% of your intake should be good, nutritious food that keeps you full. If after you've eaten your main meals you've some calories left over, then really you can eat anything that falls within your remaining calorie allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It doesn't really matter. It's overall calories that matter. However, you don't get much bang for your 250 calorie buck with a bar.

fwiw I kept a bar in quite a lot of days for a long time through my weight loss, and was probably one of the last things I switched out. Whatever gets you through imo, once you stick to the overall goals.

Someone will probably be on saying switch to dark chocolate. I did, and initially it did work, but taste buds adjust and now it takes as much willpower for me not to down an 80% plus dark bar as it would've with a dairy milk tbh!

Advertisement