Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead Singer of Linkin Park has died

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Poor man. Sad and heartbreaking is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

odd as this sounds LP will always personally be synonymous for me with happy family holidays. We never ever changed the CDs in the family car (and most of them were Linkin Park) so when we went to France each year as my daughters were growing up we spent many many hours and days listening to LP. Realised we were baad parents one day when all four of my daughters (all under 10) we happily singing @ the top of their voices "Put me out of my fuc(king misery" whilst head-banging..
    my now 12 year old will be very upset and she still listens to then all the time…
    terrible news but most especially for his family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well that has knocked me for six. Hybrid Theory was the first album I bought and was my gateway into the sweet sound of rock and metal. This evening will be spent re-listening to that album with a few contemplative beers.

Ar deis de go raibh a hainm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I wonder with today being Chris Cornell's birthday have any relevance to his taking of his own life?

They were definitely buddies so who knows.

Cornell & Bennington - Hunger Strike
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNEG5qaflnU

Linkin Park & Cornell - Crawling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_v1SLIt01Q

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Genuinely gutted when I heard this earlier. A lot of people have mentioned Hybrid Theory being special to them, and it holds a special place in my heart as well. I was a huge fan when I was in my teens and even though I haven't been as avid as fan in recent years, I still really like the new music they've been producing - it's a different sound to their early stuff, but the lyrics are powerful and Chester's vocals are always mesmerizing; such a unique voice.

Despite the lyrics being fairly dark and quite heavy, I've always found them to be uplifting. Whenever I've been having a bad day or feeling down throwing on Somewhere I Belong, Numb, Papercut, or any of the other early stuff always manages to lift my mood.

Rest In Peace Chester

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

RIP

Tributes now starting on Scuzz through till tomorrow.

Ironically nothing on Kerrang TV, seeing as how they live off LP videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So sad,great singer in the great band.I'd the pleasure of seeing them live in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't listen to Linkin Park anymore, they were one of those gateway bands that quickly fell by the wayside for me, but this is still horrible all the same. Life is tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

RIP Chester. Loved his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Didn't take to LP really myself, clearly that mans voice was the backbone of them, sad to see him go and in the way it's suggested :(

Although the move wasn't appreciated at the time I was skeptical initially too being a fan but he shone well in STP IMO, great performance here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Forget genres, an incredible voice period.

Very sad, too young and leaving so many behind to pick up the pieces,RIP.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

As someone previously said here, all the bubble gum boyband pop music was dominating the airwaves and finally something emerged that I could enjoy and happily sing along.

Hybrid Theory may not have been the first rock or metal album I bought, but it was by far one of the most played CD I owned which I still have laying on the floor of my bedroom, the disc is either been sitting in the jewel CD case or in the CD player that's been gathering dust over many many years.

Chester was hanging on my wall for years (the marriage plans fell through when I got older). My best friend had fantasies of being old enough to get the flame tattoos that he had upon his wrists/arms.
    The trips to ASHA in Stephens Green shopping centre for the t-shirt and badges for £1 (what a rip off :D)

I didn't get to see them in RDS - I had to go to a farewell thing to a friend moving away that day. I've not seen her since.

But I still listened to them.
    I seen them in Manchester in 2014 with my best friend (she does not have the tattoo) - to say it was worth the wait was an understatement. A fantastic performance full of passion and still a memory we cherish.

I heard the lead "Heavy" track and was all "Pffft, that's not them... WTF is this?" Listening to it now... That is a heavy track.

Last night I listened to Hybrid Theory on Spotify and cried, as I'll always be that teenager at some stage.

Reading tweets from other artists and it seems he was in good form and happy the last few weeks. He had this planned, on his dear friends birthday. Whatever demons he faced daily and tried to deal with, I hope he has found peace.

Thoughts to his family (so many children), bandmates and friends.

If anything, I hope this gives people the knowledge that its OK to have thoughts and its better to talk about them, there's always someone willing to listen.

RIP Chester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I hope the smug twats who did throw bottles at LP back in the day are feeling a little less smug now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was never really into music at all until my late teens, bar a few copied albums I'd get off mates. Meteora was the first album I ever actually chose to buy, and still have it on my phone. Really sad to hear and especially with 6 kids.

And whether anyone liked Linkin Park's music or not, the guy had one hell of a voice

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

RIP ...like many others Hybrid Theory is probably the most played cd in my collection...30 something mins of nu metal bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Awful shame.
    Great voice, some of the poppier stuff on their third album really showcased his range, especially alongside the heavy tracks. Of the how ever many LP albums (gave up listening to them a while back) that third album seemed to be more focused on him than the others - less rapping, less electronic tinkering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

seachto7 wrote: »
    I hope the smug twats who did throw bottles at LP back in the day are feeling a little less smug now.

Oh tell me about it. I went to that gig (the Metallica/Linkin Park co-headline gig in '03 for those not in the know) and a 'friend' was a bit away from me, he got caught up in the pit and was just throwing bottles like a right little scumbag.

I felt bad for LP and for fans who were there to see them. Relax..Metallica will be on in a while...and Metallica don't think you're cool for doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I was at the gig in 2003- Linkin Park really weren't my thing so we went to the other side of the stadium to get chips. But, we saw a good bit of the set from waaay backafter the chips and I remember being convinced that they were miming/lip syncing. Obviously they weren't, so I always thought that was a testament to how good they sounded live. Chester's voice seemed perfect.

I do remember the booing and the bottles that day. It was pretty savage, especially when the Darkness had been given a decent ovation.

It's awful what has happened. I always try to think that hopefully someone in the same boat will find a way to help themselves after something like this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Devastated to hear this news.

Linkin Park are one of my favourite bands and I actually travelled over to Birmingham a couple of weeks ago to see them. I never thought for a split second it would be the last time I would get the chance to see them or that it would be their last ever concert.

Chester had a rough childhood. He was sexually abused by an older friend from the age of 7-13. His parents divorced throughout this time. His mum wasn't in a good place and his father worked very long hours to try and put food on the table so wasn't around much either. He felt abandoned by his family and turned to drink and drugs as he said this was the only time he felt some release from the pain he suffered. He was taking double figure amounts of acid a day, meth, crack. It came to a head in 2006 when the band staged an intervention and he realised that he would die he continued. Things improved from there on in (although he was fond of a bit of pot) although he obviously still had a struggle with the battle intermittently.

6 kids left behind. So, so sad.

RIP Chester and thanks for the memories.

When my time comes
    Forget the wrong that I've done
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed
    And don't resent me
    And when you're feeling empty
    Keep me in your memory
    Leave out all the rest
    Leave out all the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Loved Hybrid Theory back when it came out but got tired of them after a while and my musical tastes moved on. Can't deny the effect the band had as I, and many others, were introduced to heavier music through LP. Also, fantastic voice.

One thing that always irked me though was how it became 'cool' to mock LP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

RIP Chester. He had an incredible voice and style. Hybrid Theory is still one of my favourite albums, though I didn't listen to much of their stuff after that.

Out of curiosity, I've seen a few people mention the reception at the Metallica gig. Can anyone explain why that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

RIP Chester. He had an incredible voice and style. Hybrid Theory is still one of my favourite albums, though I didn't listen to much of their stuff after that.

Out of curiosity, I've seen a few people mention the reception at the Metallica gig. Can anyone explain why that was?

a lot of metallica fans felt they weren't worthy of sharing stage with metallica...the fact the gig was billed as co headlining was seen as an insult...it was pathetic really but LP still put on a good set !!!

IIRC Slipknot got a similar reception a year later before Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I was at that gig. They got a terrible reception at first with the booing and all that.

Chester after a few songs then spoke to the crowd and said something like "We know you're here for Metallica, we love them too. Let's just have a good time."

And to be fair to them, they played a brilliant set and won the crowd over when others would have bitched and/or left, an example being Limp Biskit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

So called music fans really being alpha meatheads basically-they were as an old teacher of mine would say, a healthy minority. I'll never understand how The Darkness were lauded (the singer came out in a leotard/jumpsuit thing which I would have thought would've had the meatheads up in arms), yet Linkin Park come on and got sh1t thrown at them and their gear damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

What an attention seeking pr1ck..He could have left it a day later, instead he chooses the birthday of a "real" talent...i feel sorry for Chris Cornells family , this should have been a day for them to remember him..not have this wanker get in the way...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

What an attention seeking pr1ck..He could have left it a day later, instead he chooses the birthday of a "real" talent...i feel sorry for Chris Cornells family , this should have been a day for them to remember him..not have this wanker get in the way...:mad:

Are you actually for real? Attention seeking? You have no understanding of mental illness or suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Are you actually for real? Attention seeking? You have no understanding of mental illness or suicide.

I have first hand experience pal...so dont lecture me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I would prefer if you didn't call me pal. Most people with first hand experience have a bit more empathy than you. It's not a lecture to say that attitudes like yours disgust me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

I have first hand experience pal...so dont lecture me

Lay off the roids...

Advertisement