Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead Singer of Linkin Park has died

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

What an attention seeking pr1ck..He could have left it a day later, instead he chooses the birthday of a "real" talent...i feel sorry for Chris Cornells family , this should have been a day for them to remember him..not have this wanker get in the way...:mad:

Given the antagonistic language in your post suggests that your intent is to provoke a reaction from other posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Passenger wrote: »
    Given the antagonistic language in your post suggests that your intent is to provoke a reaction from other posters.

Wrong..its a forum, i'm entitled to my opinion..if youre upset ,bo hoo....other posters may think the same but are afraid of this type of reaction...AGAIN..i feel sorry for Chris Cornells family and friends...i never liked Linkin Pk but thats not the reason for my op..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

a lot of metallica fans felt they weren't worthy of sharing stage with metallica...the fact the gig was billed as co headlining was seen as an insult...it was pathetic really but LP still put on a good set !!!

IIRC Slipknot got a similar reception a year later before Metallica

Metallica fans seem to have numerous amongst them who for them Metallica are the be all and end all for them as far as Rock/Metal goes fine to have that opinion...but this section seem to have to let everyone know!

Seen Metallica a number of times, In the 00's period particularly you'd think a slot with Metallica would be great for bands to get out there share the same stage and and attempt to grab this audience, tough though an audience that had a core with their minds made up before a cord or symbal was struck.

Was at the Slipknot one too had a lot of naysayers before the show but had more of the crowd on their side than most so there wasn't carry on at it really, remember enjoying it and it defo won over people didn't get to go but they were back the following year.

Metallica fans seem to have numerous amongst them who for them Metallica are the be all and end all for them as far as Rock/Metal goes fine to have that opinion...but this section seem to have to let everyone know!

Seen Metallica a number of times, In the 00's period particularly you'd think a slot with Metallica would be great for bands to get out there share the same stage and and attempt to grab this audience, tough though an audience that had a core with their minds made up before a cord or symbal was struck.

Was at the Slipknot one too had a lot of naysayers before the show but had more of the crowd on their side than most so there wasn't carry on at it really, remember enjoying it and it defo won over people didn't get to go but they were back the following year.

Was at that RDS gig with Metallica and The Darkness, LP got terrible abuse, few idiots beside were throwing things at the stage, we told them to stop being dicks "it just a bit of crack man" in their D4 accents, while singing/shouting along to every song....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

What an attention seeking pr1ck..He could have left it a day later, instead he chooses the birthday of a "real" talent...i feel sorry for Chris Cornells family , this should have been a day for them to remember him..not have this wanker get in the way...:mad:

ohh, bad ass alert :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Max, do not post in this thread again if this is how you intend to continue. Calling someone an "attention seeking prick" for committing suicide is not okay, and saying it's your opinion does not make it okay.

Still my opinion....end of...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dude, do us all a favour and f*ck off for a while until you learn how to interact with adult human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

After seeing the above comments. Killswitch Engage front-man Jesse Leach's comments on those who felt the need to criticize Chester when the news broke yesterday are bang on the money.
    Appalled by the lack of sympathy or respect by some for a human (who happens to be a musician) who died tragically. The fact that anyone would have the audacity to critique or comment on his music on the day we learn of his passing is beyond me. We "get it" you're very cool you didn't like what you saw as "unhip music." What a desensitized disgusting and selfish way to present yourself. Take your opinion and shove it up your pretentious ass. A fellow musician committed suicide today and all I can think of is his family and friends. Mental illness is rampant in the artistic community. We should be addressing this tragedy with respect, compassion and grief that is all. Keep your unwarranted options to yourself and allow his friends and family to grieve. Just because he was in the public eye gives you no right to judge his life or music at this time. Show some class please. My condolences to the family of Chester Bennington. May he find peace in the next life/world what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Think you need some more "Headroom"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Think you need some more "Headroom"?

A swift trip to the ignore button more like, which is where he's gone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Enough folks. Let's try to keep this on topic and respectful towards a member of the rock and metal community that we've lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 steinbrenner65

seachto7 wrote: »
    I hope the smug twats who did throw bottles at LP back in the day are feeling a little less smug now.

Yeah because you were perfect when you were 14 pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭fluke

Don't call him pal, buddy...

I'm hoping the American media / Judicial system don't feel the need to share scene photos reports etc like they did with Cornell. It's a horrible thing to say but the death of a celebrity is almost viewed as an extension of their career and entertainment to some who feel it's right to publish or give clicks to those who publish such or report on the fact even :mad:

To me if you are reporting on the fact that such as been published then you are just as bad as the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

You'd wonder what's the point in stating the method used.

You'd hate to think that it might 'inspire ' those with suicidal tendencies who look up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

digzy wrote: »

Possibly to allay any doubts among the public as to whether it was suicide or another cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Who's perfect at any age? Not sure why you picked 14 closer to that age and you had more people more likely to have been into Linkin Park perhaps went specifically for them. Bottle throwers were all sorts but embarrassingly average age much older than 14 if you can believe that maybe you were 14 or something?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Was at that 2003 RDS gig as well but was way back. The crowd back there were much more up for Linkin Park than up the front, I think Chester picked up on it at one point when people were jumping around with the music.
    I would have briefly fallen in to the "they're only like a boyband" idea but the tracks on Hybrid Theory (giving it a run again now) were so good that I came around fairly quickly and really enjoyed them at the RDS, and I was really only there for Metallica.

I wasn't mad on Meteora and didn't follow them that closely afterwards except for what came on Scuzz/Kerrang, "what I've done" is a great track, and I really liked "waiting for the end" as well.

RIP Chester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

digzy wrote: »

You'd hate to think that it might 'inspire ' those with suicidal tendencies who look up to him.

Don't think it does societies any good to go about hiding the truth. if someone wants to kill themselves they will

• Advertisement

The band have released a statement.
    Dear Chester,

Our hearts are broken. The shockwaves of grief and denial are still sweeping through our family as we come to grips with what has happened.
    You touched so many lives, maybe even more than you realized. In the past few days, we’ve seen an outpouring of love and support, both public and private, from around the world. Talinda and the family appreciate it, and want the world to know that you were the best husband, son, and father; the family will never be whole without you.

Talking with you about the years ahead together, your excitement was infectious. Your absence leaves a void that can never be filled—a boisterous, funny, ambitious, creative, kind, generous voice in the room is missing. We’re trying to remind ourselves that the demons who took you away from us were always part of the deal. After all, it was the way you sang about those demons that made everyone fall in love with you in the first place. You fearlessly put them on display, and in doing so, brought us together and taught us to be more human. You had the biggest heart, and managed to wear it on your sleeve.

Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable. While we don’t know what path our future may take, we know that each of our lives was made better by you. Thank you for that gift. We love you, and miss you so much.

Until we see you again,
    LP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

I was at the gig in 2003- Linkin Park really weren't my thing so we went to the other side of the stadium to get chips. But, we saw a good bit of the set from waaay backafter the chips and I remember being convinced that they were miming/lip syncing. Obviously they weren't, so I always thought that was a testament to how good they sounded live. Chester's voice seemed perfect.

I do remember the booing and the bottles that day. It was pretty savage, especially when the Darkness had been given a decent ovation.

It's awful what has happened. I always try to think that hopefully someone in the same boat will find a way to help themselves after something like this happens.

I remember that gig too and was mortified at the actions of some of the Metallica fans, I was there for both bands and enjoyed them very much. But as mentioned LP took it very well and played on and most of that nonsense died down.

I remember the year before Puddle of Mudd supported Korn, they got booed to high heaven but instead of saying "hey calm down guys lets enjoy this" like LP, the lead singer did the opposite and even spat at the crowd.

LP only played Ireland one more time after that right in a 17 year career? I always found that strange as their albums sold particularly well here...

I think this bit of the band's statement, I can either see them going the route Avenged Sevenfold took in December 2009, and the first few months of 2010 after Jimmy's death, they'll take enough time to grieve Chester, and then eventually maybe move on with a new front-man. Time will tell.
    Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable. While we don’t know what path our future may take, we know that each of our lives was made better by you. Thank you for that gift. We love you, and miss you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I never understood the hate that they got to be honest. It's like when someone or something gets to popular, it becomes "cool" to dislike them.

Hybrid Theory like many my age, from reading the thread, was a gateway for a lot of people into metal and they arrived just as nu metal started to become a bit more mainstream and popular. I'd been listening to Slipknot, Korn and a general good mix of metal, and had no problem bringing them into my mix. I got a lot of **** for it, and I just found the whole thing weird.

After hearing the news realised I hadn't listened to them in years, some of their stuff still as incredible as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TheDoc wrote: »
    I never understood the hate that they got to be honest. It's like when someone or something gets to popular, it becomes "cool" to dislike them.

Hybrid Theory like many my age, from reading the thread, was a gateway for a lot of people into metal and they arrived just as nu metal started to become a bit more mainstream and popular. I'd been listening to Slipknot, Korn and a general good mix of metal, and had no problem bringing them into my mix. I got a lot of **** for it, and I just found the whole thing weird.

After hearing the news realised I hadn't listened to them in years, some of their stuff still as incredible as I remember.
    I had a lot of mates who were heavily into the nu-metal scene at the time. It was basically a kind of snobbery. The "In" bands seemed to change all the time; Korn and Slipknot were the business. But then when 15 year olds started wearing baggy clothes and dreadlocks, Korn and Slipknot were fncking lame. In short, any bad that appeared to be too popular were "sell outs" that weren't "keeping it real".

Smacks of the punk snobbery that existed in the 1970s.

Linkin Park in this regard were a bit doomed from the start; they produced teen-friendly videos that were trying too hard to be edgy, and the band all looked like they'd been dressed by someone else rather than "keeping it real". As a result they remained popular with younger nu metal fans, but after the first couple of songs, the 16+ crowd dismissed them as a boy-band.

Listening back to a couple of songs over the last few days they really are a lot better than they got credit for. Especially when you consider some of the absolute rubbish that Korn and Slipknot came out with in later albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I never fully understood the bad rep they got other then that usual "its now cool to think your uncool" ****. The music for the most part was solid, I would still break out Hybrid Theory now and then, the last few days in particular I have been going through some other albums and bits and pieces from the discography. Take away the spin, just let the music speak for itself and it stands up pretty well imo.

Some twisted ****s out there though, my fb Im afraid to say had one or two on it mocking the death, not to mention the scum who hacked his wifes twitter account. The hate is very strong with some people, usually a reflection of their own life unfortunately.

Hoping the family/friends are now just left alone to grieve and to find a way through this, from personal experience it comes in waves and takes a long time, so many unanswered questions.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

This has hit me hard, far harder than I expected considering I stopped listening to LP at least 15 years ago. The closest I had gotten to listening to them lately was when “Numb/Encore” or “In the End” was randomly playing in my gym. In fact, this seems quite horrible to say but I had kinda forgotten that the band existed really, I hadn’t thought about them in years… however, Hybrid Theory was for me, like so many other kids/teenagers back in the early 2000s, my introduction to the world of rock and metal. Like others here have said, it was the first album I bought, and I listened to it non-stop for about 6 months. I got into nu-metal in a big way around that time with the accompanying cringe-y wardrobe- dressing in the baggy jeans, chains and spiky collars. :pac:

When I first saw the video for “Crawling” in 2001, I’d never really heard heavy music before. This was back in the days of dial-up, and we didn’t have Kerrang! Or even MTV. I stumbled onto it by chance watching Top 30 Hits one day (remember that?! :P)

My life changed forever. It was the first time I heard lyrics that really resonated with me. I’ve posted on boards in the past about my own struggles with depression and anxiety, which all started shortly before I got into Linkin Park. I was also having a pretty crap time in school, and it was all at a delicate age (11/12). When I heard songs like “Crawling” and “Papercut”, as cheesy and clichs it sounds, I felt like somebody understood me. I used to sit contentedly listening to the album on my Discman, reading the lyrics as it played. I reckon I still know the album off by heart from start to finish and I haven’t listened to it in a decade-and-a-half. Even though I “outgrew” them relatively quickly, I don’t think there has been another band that I obsessively fan-girled over as much as Linkin Park in their heyday.

I suppose maybe the reason this news saddened me as much as it has is that I’ve been going through a pretty sh1t time lately, and in a selfish way, it just feels like another bit of my childhood/adolescence is lost. I guess I’m sort of mourning that, as well as Chester himself.

They were a lifeline for me at a time when I really needed it, and from reading countless posts from people around the world over the past few days, he really seemed to have affected an entire generation whether they stuck with LP until their last album or were more just passing through like I was.

I didn’t even realise until I had properly processed the news of his passing just how much he had changed my life. That’s probably why it’s taken me so long to post here- hell, I don’t even really post on Boards much anymore but I just had to get this out somewhere!

Chester- thanks for everything, man. See you on the other side.

Btw, Papercut is still an absolute banger!

Advertisement