Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work medical question

Options
  • 20-07-2017 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So I recently accepted a new job and had my pre employment medical a couple of days ago.

All went well but I was asked by the doctor do I have any previous medical history. I have a history of moderate depression and anxiety, and said I was on medication for a few months a couple of years back. The doc noted this on my file and also made a note that I am now happy and ready to work.

I have been regretting disclosing this to the doc. My question is, who within a company, has access to my medical records and are they confidential and just needed for my file or could my new manager/management get access to these records if he/she so wishes?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

So I recently accepted a new job and had my pre employment medical a couple of days ago.

All went well but I was asked by the doctor do I have any previous medical history. I have a history of moderate depression and anxiety, and said I was on medication for a few months a couple of years back. The doc noted this on my file and also made a note that I am now happy and ready to work.

I have been regretting disclosing this to the doc. My question is, who within a company, has access to my medical records and are they confidential and just needed for my file or could my new manager/management get access to these records if he/she so wishes?

Thanks

A company doctor is paid by the company, and there would be no point in company paying for a medical if they didn't receive the results.

Is he saying that you feel you're happy and ready to work or that he thinks you're ready to work?

Re your medical records, they are HR files, a supervisor/non senior manager would not have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thanks

I'd say it's private the medical is to prove you are fit for work and in case of a future claim say for example you hurt your back at work but also had a pre existing problem...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd say it's private the medical is to prove you are fit for work and in case of a future claim say for example you hurt your back at work but also had a pre existing problem...

Unless there was a line on the former requiring the op to consent to the doctor sharing data with the company and op said yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10 supersonic94

Thanks for the responses.

I am 100% fit and ready to work. that is not the issue.

Basically, I dont want my new boss/management to know I previously dealt with anxiety and depression just as I start a new job as they might think differently of me from the off. I know this is a backward view but sadly mental health is still a taboo subject for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭griffin100

Unless the issue of your previous mental health issues has an impact on your ability to do the job or is relevant to same (eg if you were going to be a pilot) the the doctor should not inform the company.

Medicals should have one of three outcomes - 1. fit for the job 2. fit for the job with modifications / restrictions 3. not fit for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 narwhal

griffin100 wrote: »
    Unless the issue of your previous mental health issues has an impact on your ability to do the job or is relevant to same (eg if you were going to be a pilot) the the doctor should not inform the company.

Medicals should have one of three outcomes - 1. fit for the job 2. fit for the job with modifications / restrictions 3. not fit for the job.

Agreed 100%! Nicely put.

If you are worried about your employer treating you differently because of depression, that's discrimination and you can action that. For reassurance, you can ask HR/hiring manager not to disclose this.

Keep in mind, your depression is classified as sensitive information and you have to consent to your employer having this information. You can ask them to get rid of that part of the medical record then as they do not need to know that.

Advertisement