Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28mm tyres on road wheel

Options
  • 20-07-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    This one is a long shot but I cant find an answer anywhere online.

Does anyone know if there is enough tyre clearance on a Carrera TDF (2012) for a 28mm tyre, or would i be better off sticking with a 25mm? The tyres that came on the bike are ****e so am looking to replace them. Im about 100kg so though the 28s might allow a little more comfort if they dont need to be up at 120psi :o I can fit a normal bic ballpoint pen (which is 8.2mm thick) all the way around the current 23c tyres, this should be enough clearance for a 28mm right?

Also, can anyone recommend a good puncture resistant tyre. I see Rubino pros and Conti 4 seasons recommended a lot so would I be best sticking with these?

Apologies if tyre questions are done to death but im I dont wanna buy 28mm tyres and have them not fit!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi Folks,
    This one is a long shot but I cant find an answer anywhere online.

Does anyone know if there is enough tyre clearance on a Carrera TDF (2012) for a 28mm tyre, or would i be better off sticking with a 25mm? The tyres that came on the bike are ****e so am looking to replace them. Im about 100kg so though the 28s might allow a little more comfort if they dont need to be up at 120psi :o I can fit a normal bic ballpoint pen (which is 8.2mm thick) all the way around the current 23c tyres, this should be enough clearance for a 28mm right?

Also, can anyone recommend a good puncture resistant tyre. I see Rubino pros and Conti 4 seasons recommended a lot so would I be best sticking with these?

Apologies if tyre questions are done to death but im I dont wanna buy 28mm tyres and have them not fit!

They should fit OK.

GP4000 in 28 are the best all round tyre I've used, grip, comfort and no punctures.

At your weight, with a 19mm or so internal rim, you'll get away with 80psi rear and 70 psi front.

Your current rims are probably 14mm internal at a guess if traditional rims.

Running a nice tyre at lower pressure is second to only to good fit for comfort.

I've got circa 5000km or rear riding on mostly roads like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Be careful with Continental Grand Prix 4000 tyres.
    They can be wider than advertised.
    e.g. I have them in 25mm width and they measure a little more than 27mm on Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels
    I have had 23mm Conti's actually measure about 25mm, when fitted.
    So 28s might similarly be actually wider when fitted.
    But, they are, in my opinion, great tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Be careful with Continental Grand Prix 4000 tyres.
    They can be wider than advertised.
    e.g. I have them in 25mm width and they measure a little more than 27mm on Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels
    I have had 23mm Conti's actually measure about 25mm, when fitted.
    So 28s might similarly be actually wider when fitted.
    But, they are, in my opinion, great tyres.

They fit about 30/31 with wide rims but I've fitted them to similar sportive type bike.

@plastik has them fitted to a race oriented ribble.

You'll get them for 33ish with rosebikes and the sign up 10 voucher will cover post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I just noticed that the gap between the tyre and chain stay on the non drive side is only about 3 or 4mm and its not even on both sides (which im guessing is a while different issue). Might be best to stick to the 25mm in that case? Theres 23mm tyres on it now so possibly not enough clearance for a 28... balls

Thanks for the detailed reply btw! :) Ill have a look at the GP4000's

Edit: Took off the wheel and put it back on and it has an even gap again! Might take a gamble on the 28s so!

Gonna see if I can get away with one more question! :p

I currently have a 100mm stem but feel the reach is a tad too long on the bike. would a 60 or 70mm step make the handling dodgy? I can guarentee ill never be doing any high speed riding to handling probably isnt a huge issue for me I imagine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Gonna see if I can get away with one more question! :p

I currently have a 100mm stem but feel the reach is a tad too long on the bike. would a 60 or 70mm step make the handling dodgy? I can guarentee ill never be doing any high speed riding to handling probably isnt a huge issue for me I imagine!

Take a look for your handlebars as well. They can vary in reach from 75mm to well above 90mm. So you have 2cm here easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

sin_26 wrote: »
    Take a look for your handlebars as well. They can vary in reach from 75mm to well above 90mm. So you have 2cm here easily.

This is true. A stem swap is a much quicker job, however.

I have an 80mm stem and find the handling fine on my road bike. When I switched to narrower bars, I found this had a bigger impact on the twitchiness of the steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I just noticed that the gap between the tyre and chain stay on the non drive side is only about 3 or 4mm and its not even on both sides (which im guessing is a while different issue). Might be best to stick to the 25mm in that case? Theres 23mm tyres on it now so possibly not enough clearance for a 28... balls

Thanks for the detailed reply btw! :) Ill have a look at the GP4000's

Edit: Took off the wheel and put it back on and it has an even gap again! Might take a gamble on the 28s so!

Even if you can't fit a 28 on the back, for comfort you could still put one on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Where are you based? I have a spare 28mm and maybe a 25mm tyre you can try on your wheel if Athlone/Galway area.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    This is true. A stem swap is a much quicker job, however.

I have an 80mm stem and find the handling fine on my road bike. When I switched to narrower bars, I found this had a bigger impact on the twitchiness of the steering.

I was thinking along the same lines, if I took the shifters and griptape off Id never get them back on right!
    jamesd wrote: »
    Where are you based? I have a spare 28mm and maybe a 25mm tyre you can try on your wheel if Athlone/Galway area.
    Im in Cork unfortunately! Appreciate the offer though, cheers!

Is it possible to use an 18-25 tube in a 28mm wheel, or by right should I get a set of 28-35 tubes to match if I go the 28mm tyre choice? The opinion seems to be divided from what Ive read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You'll be just fine. I use 25mm tube in 28mm (31mm real) Conti GP4000SII

Advertisement