Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 PDC World Matchplay. 22/07-30/07. Sky Sports.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

jrkb wrote: »
    Really hope Wright goes on to win a bag load of tournaments comes across as a real genuine guy.

He is..and everytime he loses a final people say the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wright just doesn't have the ruthlessness of an MVG/Taylor. His interview after where he's saying he knows he's not as good as the top guys, it's like he thinks he doesn't belong up there with the best, he needs to change that attitude but I'm not sure he will. He should win a few tournaments with his quality though. In most finals he's nearly already beaten unless he's playing a player he thinks he's better than.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Greatest darting performance over a whole tournament I've ever seen.

Barney 11-3, 102 average
    MVG 16-6, 101 average
    Lewis 17-9, 102 average
    Wright 18-8, 104 average

He's 57 years of age in two weeks.

Absolutely amazing stuff, vintage Taylor, punished non stop. Piled on the pressure. Delighted I got to see it for perhaps one last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

will he really retire ?
    id say he will still do the odd one next year

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yeah that stuff from Wright is hard to watch. He lacks belief something fierce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

SlickRic wrote: »
    Yeah that stuff from Wright is hard to watch. He lacks belief something fierce.

You could say that about a lot of the contenders when they come up against Taylor and MVG.

He's a tinkerer (which will keep him fresh touch wood) who's game is on the up but his 180 scoring is falling. I hope he continues to kick on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ElTel wrote: »
    You could say that about a lot of the contenders when they come up against Taylor and MVG.

He's a tinkerer (which will keep him fresh touch wood) who's game is on the up but his 180 scoring is falling. I hope he continues to kick on.

the mind set is key , look at taylor and what he done to mvg , himself and gurney have real ability and tallent but both have that niggle in them that they need to get rid of

i have no doubt wright will go the distance in a major in the next few years , he is playing as well as anderson before he won the world championships the first time out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

the mind set is key , look at taylor and what he done to mvg , himself and gurney have real ability and tallent but both have that niggle in them that they need to get rid of

i have no doubt wright will go the distance in a major in the next few years , he is playing as well as anderson before he won the world championships the first time out

Remember when he'd do the step back before throwing the last dart at double....
    Disrupting your opponent's rhythm is frowned upon or the young bucks are too nice.

ElTel wrote: »
    Remember when he'd do the step back before throwing the last dart at double....
    Disrupting your opponent's rhythm is frowned upon or the young bucks are too nice.

he said once in an interview that taylor gave him some advice which changed him from being on the verge of quitting to getting to world finals , maybe taylior told him to get into peoples heads ( and get the crowd on your side ) i dont know , but hes not that far off the mark at the moment

remember how bad anderson was on doubles ,i think wright is in a similar position except may his score building lets him down at different times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

sc86 wrote: »
    will he really retire ?
    id say he will still do the odd one next year

It'd seem a bit mad not to come back to Blackpool next summer as defending champion. And he may add another title or two this year yet. Plus the money he earned this week pretty much cements his ranking in the Top 8 for all next season thus qualifying him for everything and a decent guaranteed income of around 6 figures.
    I'm sure a few spontaneous 'one more year' chants during the remaining big events of this season will happen, and might change his mind.

I don't like him at all, but theres absolutely no reason for him to retire.

• Advertisement

It'd seem a bit mad not to come back to Blackpool next summer as defending champion. And he may add another title or two this year yet. Plus the money he earned this week pretty much cements his ranking in the Top 8 for all next season thus qualifying him for everything and a decent guaranteed income of around 6 figures.
    I'm sure a few spontaneous 'one more year' chants during the remaining big events of this season will happen, and might change his mind.

I don't like him at all, but theres absolutely no reason for him to retire.

dont like him either but huge respect for him especially what he done to van gerwan as he was starting to get too cocky ,

dont know what would be worse , taylor in the studio as commentator or not retiring and still hanging around next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

please god taylor doesnt end up on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭FineAle

sc86 wrote: »
    please god taylor doesnt end up on sky

Couldn't imagine anything worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

FineAle wrote: »
    Couldn't imagine anything worse!

I'd say the deal with Sky is already inked.

After the Worlds this year we're going to see Phil in the com box and giving analysis in the studio.

Tbh I'd much prefer to see Bristow being brought back.

I'd say the deal with Sky is already inked.

After the Worlds this year we're going to see Phil in the com box and giving analysis in the studio.

Tbh I'd much prefer to see Bristow being brought back.

bristow was by far the worst , i doubt phil will be as arrogant in the commentary box as how he came across in some of his interviews

i think the reason everyone likes mardle or bobby george is they were nearly men and never hid it , john part sometimes sounds like a fella that won 20 world titles compared to the rest of the pundits , be it bdo or pdc ,

taylor would be ok once he don't start patronising people

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

See Eric is a cocky cockney bastard, likes to use his mouth. For instance his comments on Twitter anytime the BDO run a Major, whether it be the Trophy, Masters or World.

He's like a drunken caricature, nobody really takes him entirely seriously. But at the same time he's amusing, there's a certain charm to him.

Phil while being the greatest player ever to throw a dart at a board is extremely unlikable. He comes across as being arrogant and patronising.
    He's also very inarticulate, never expresses himself well.

I don't want him in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

I seen a tweet earlier from a PDC official saying that they had cancelled nearly 1100 tickets for the worlds this year as they suspected they were purchased for reselling, or by touts in other words.

See Eric is a cocky cockney bastard, likes to use his mouth. For instance his comments on Twitter anytime the BDO run a Major, whether it be the Trophy, Masters or World.

He's like a drunken caricature, nobody really takes him entirely seriously. But at the same time he's amusing, there's a certain charm to him.

Phil while being the greatest player ever to throw a dart at a board is extremely unlikable. He comes across as being arrogant and patronising.
    He's also very inarticulate, never expresses himself well.

I don't want him in the studio.

part is very simular though , everything is simple and easy to john part ,......just look at his 2000 world championships wins , i dread phil will be the same as him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

bristow was by far the worst , i doubt phil will be as arrogant in the commentary box as how he came across in some of his interviews

i think the reason everyone likes mardle or bobby george is they were nearly men and never hid it , john part sometimes sounds like a fella that won 20 world titles compared to the rest of the pundits , be it bdo or pdc ,

taylor would be ok once he don't start patronising people

Part was probably the best pundit/commentator by a distance when he was at Lakeside in the 00s. Odd to have a North American so prominent in a predominantly British game but he really added to the drama.Bit like Darragh Moloney in football. Part has declined on Sky but he has to dance to their tune.

George was never a great pundit but he was one of a few who did a lot for the game in its infancy. He doesnt fawn over players a la sky but he's never been a great speaker.He's a 'rags to riches' story so would admire him for that.

Mardle is very irritating at times on commentary but again thats the Sky factor. FWIW he's one of the new breed who doesnt get too hyped up in the split and at least acknowledges the BDO. The BDO isnt blameless by any means for the split but it brought out the worst in pundits like Sid, Pyke, Bristow, Rod over the years. Mardle in fairness has never gone down that route.

Advertisement