Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off road trails - Meath/Louth

Options
  • 20-07-2017 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

I'm familar with the Ramparts trail along the Boyne from Navan to Slane.

Any where else around the Meath/Louth.

Recovering from a car crash where I hur my neck, back and shoulder. So would like to avoid the roads until I get my fitness back up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

siobhan08 wrote: »
    I'm familar with the Ramparts trail along the Boyne from Navan to Slane.

Any where else around the Meath/Louth.

Recovering from a car crash where I hur my neck, back and shoulder. So would like to avoid the roads until I get my fitness back up

Depends on the terrain your body can cope with-vibration etc.

I've met people cycling in Blackwater Park Navan. If you are going fast it may not be suitable due to the number of kids etc. If you go at the right time there are not so many walkers. The surface is perfect. There is also some off-road trails there.

There is also Balrath Wood. The paths there are rougher than Blackwater. I would recommend you go with someone.

After that you could look at Phoenix Park but it maybe too far away.

Have you considered buying a turbo trainer. You could get a simple one for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Folks - Bellurgan is off limits as its private land. You can access it by becoming a member of Cuchullain CC.

Plenty of trails in Townley Hall. Quite Technical. Better in Winter time when the bushes fall back. Quite thorny at the moment.

Lots of nice riding around Oldbridge estate in Drogheda.

Oldbridge is nice , you could park up in Drogheda and ride out along the Boyne to it to stretch the legs before you get there along the boardwalk/greenway. Not sure how busy it gets at various times though. Last time I was out that way was early on a saturday morning with only a few runners and a couple of people with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭positron

Drogheda-Oldbridge always has a few walkers, dogs, couple of runners, and occasionally whole family riding thru, you will need a bell on your bike. Surface is good, mostly gravel but there are some patches where it gets really muddy if it rains. It's a great facility for the town, but it's only 5-6k which I think is too short. I would love to see the canal path cleared all the way to Slane / Navan. It's a beautiful part of the country with a lot of history, activities like cycling/kayaking, if developed properly this could be a massive attraction for the outdoorsy type tourists.

positron wrote: »
    Drogheda-Oldbridge always has a few walkers, dogs, couple of runners, and occasionally whole family riding thru, you will need a bell on your bike. Surface is good, mostly gravel but there are some patches where it gets really muddy if it rains. It's a great facility for the town, but it's only 5-6k which I think is too short. I would love to see the canal path cleared all the way to Slane / Navan. It's a beautiful part of the country with a lot of history, activities like cycling/kayaking, if developed properly this could be a massive attraction for the outdoorsy type tourists.

Thought I heard mention of the Drogheda-Mornington one finally getting a go ahead a while back but again too short , a facility like what you mention to Slane or Navan would be excellent and think about what you pass along the way with Newgrange etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Carkingford- the home of da Cooley thrilla- super mtb country

Advertisement