Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicotine

Options
  • 20-07-2017 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, can someone please help me with the following........ I've read a few articles that imply there is around 1mg in every cigarette.

If this is the case why are all cigarettes labelled different?

The cigarettes I use say .5mg of nicotine but I am vaping 16mg surely this is way too high???
    I smoked about 15 a day

I would really appreciate some feedback as I am new to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Phill_M

Don't worry about it too much, it's all pretty confusing. How much nicotine you get from cigarettes varies from person to person based on their chosen brand and style of smoking (whether they take drag after drag, or leave it sitting in an ashtray and take the occasional pull etc).

The mg amount on eliquid is per millilitre of liquid, so you're not inhaling 16mg every time you vape as you only use a tiny fraction of the liquid. There's no way to do the maths accurately because of the human aspect, but the level you're on is fine for a beginner. Bear in mind that the body absorbs nicotine differently with vaping versus smoking, vaping being a slower delivery etc.

Just don't overdo it by vaping every second of the day and you'll be fine. You can gradually drop down your nicotine level over time.

That being said, don't vape any higher than 6mg on a subohm tank as a general rule, but 18-24mg is common for starting off with on a "mouth to lung" starter kit (which aren't subohm).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

K Mac 1980 wrote: »
    Hi, can someone please help me with the following........ I've read a few articles that imply there is around 1mg in every cigarette.

If this is the case why are all cigarettes labelled different?
    Up to recently, well about 15 years ago cigarettes were classified by how much nicotine the tobacco contained. For some reason, they changed this to the nic delivered in the smoke. Some genius thought if people knew how much nic they were getting they could reduce it and work their way to stopping smoking. In actual fact what happened was people smoked more. It only contributed to people confusing the harm from smoke with nicotine which by and large is harmless, same as caffeine in fact.
    The cigarettes I use say .5mg of nicotine but I am vaping 16mg surely this is way too high???
    I smoked about 15 a day
    So at 15 cigs you were getting 7.5 mg nic a day. With vaping you would need to vape slightly over half a ml a day to get the same nic. In theory. However vaping doesn't work the same way as smoking, the nic is absorbed slower and as such doesn't create the rush you get from smoking. It's going to take more nic over a longer time to get the same 'relief' satisfaction, call it what you will.IIRC one study found 20 minutes of vaping 18mg, to equal 1 cigarette.
    I would really appreciate some feedback as I am new to this.
    Don't worry about the nic level as such, if you are getting enough into you to not need or want to smoke, that's the right amount. In time you will naturally start to find 16mg is making you a bit nic sick, esp if you vape absentmindedly, you can then drop to 12 or whatever, your body will tell you what your level is. Remember it's the smoke, not the nicotine that causes the problems.

Advertisement