Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another fish kill on the Tolka

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Keeps on happening.. the fines are a joke too..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Heard on radio that they want to restock it with 500 trout to make up for the dead ones. It's no use because the stocked fish won't be able to breed and will be easily caught and killed.

That's gonna be worse in the long term.. their triploid I gues yes? No stocked fish can justice for wild fish being killed. As you said easier to catch and killed..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

It's even more pointless when take into consideration that all the larvae an fly life has been killed off too!

Yes I haven't herd about that much either all about the fish killed.. just when it looked like the insects are getting back another fish kill..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bigjohn17

Would I also be correct in saying that stocking the river shouldn't be a solution to every incident because eventually the rivers wild trout gene pool will be completely replaced by stocked trout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

bigjohn17 wrote: »
    Would I also be correct in saying that stocking the river shouldn't be a solution to every incident because eventually the rivers wild trout gene pool will be completely replaced by stocked trout?

The problem with places like the Tolka is that they are already heavily modified ecosystems. Where the tolka is it gets a large influx of agricultural runoff, sewage and also industrial pollution. Its already a long long way from a river with a healthy stock of wild fish. Over recent years its had so many large incidents that the parent stock of bigger trout is taking constant hits. The gene pool is already heavily depleted.

If they left it unstocked I think the head of fish in it would be very small. Stocking with suitable fry or fingerlings might be a good option as they could provide future breeding stock.

They wouldnt stock any triploids into a river like this. Any stocking would be normal diploid browns but the adult fish dont do well as they are fodder for the table and dont adapt well. They also often travel long distances away from the stocking site.

Advertisement