Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalkey vs Killiney

Options
  • 21-07-2017 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hi,

we are moving back in two years time and currently we are in ireland for house hunting. After intensive house viewing etc, we realised that it is not so easy to acquire property during our short stay this summer and it might take longer to research all over again and find one we would like and fit in our budget : ) anyway, would like to get some advice on which area is better to raise two boys aged 15 and 12 (they are sporty and doing lots of activities like swimming soccer and possibly martial art. We kind of narrowed down to two areas Dalkey and Killiney. Which area is better for teenage boys? Personally I quite like Dun Laoghaire area but too far from the boys' school.

please advise. Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Dalkey - closer to Cuala GAA and Dalkey United ground, DART etc

Will this be a forever home or just for a few years? Different requirements for both.
    Killiney doesn't have a centre really and according to estate agents is vast encompassing parts of Sallynoggin/Shankill etc
    Whereabouts in Killiney are you looking?

I live in Dalkey and love it, but don't have kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 betty2007

Thanks for your reply. it will be at least 5 to 10 yrs of home for us anyway until boys go to college. we viewed a couple of houses near Killiney hill and Military road. we quite liked the area but i wasn't sure about sports facilities and green area for boys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm from Dalkey, it's a brilliant place to grow up. I was involved with Cuala Gaa, Dalkey United and Dalkey Scouts while growing up. All of those are still active now. You also have a primary school in the town and easy access to secondary schools. You also have the town with shops, restaurants, pubs etc.

Killiney has no central town which is a huge drawback. I couldn't recommend Dalkey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dalkey has a village where as Killiney doesn't. Kids that age have bikes (or the DART) and they can easily move between the two.

I live in Killiney and love having the beach for walking and swimming. (I'd prefer if it was a white sandy one) if I want food or drink I'd go to Dalkey. The kids play for Cuala, some of the teams train in Killiney aswell as dalkey.

Both locations are great I'd say it comes down to the actual houses that you are looking at. Are you looking at house in estates or the larger ones on the roads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Military Road is very near Ballybrack Village which is a bit rowdier than Dalkey, don't get me wrong, I live in Ballybrack and like it, but if I had the choice I'd choose Dalkey

21/25

• Advertisement

thank you all for your advice. Now we started looking in Dalkey and Sandycove area. the only downside is house prices are higher than Killiney and less choice (not many are on the market) compared to Killiney area. any more advice on the area of Dalkey, Sandycove and Glenageary please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

betty2007 wrote: »
    thank you all for your advice. Now we started looking in Dalkey and Sandycove area. the only downside is house prices are higher than Killiney and less choice (not many are on the market) compared to Killiney area. any more advice on the area of Dalkey, Sandycove and Glenageary please let me know.

Be careful of estate agents listing houses as Killiney, especially if they are a lot cheaper, more often than not these are really Ballybrack, if you don't know the area well, ask someone who does. I live in Ballybrack village and my official postal address is Glenageary, I'm nowhere near Glenageary, and probably couldn't afford it either so always good to ask

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

uch wrote: »
    betty2007 wrote: »

Be careful of estate agents listing houses as Killiney, especially if they are a lot cheaper, more often than not these are really Ballybrack, if you don't know the area well, ask someone who does. I live in Ballybrack village and my official postal address is Glenageary, I'm nowhere near Glenageary, and probably couldn't afford it either so always good to ask
    Glenageary is the sorting office. That's why they sometimes mark it as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ever noticed how big houses in Glasthule are often marketed as Sandycove?

I think Sandycove is becoming the new Killiney, in that it is more a state of mind than an area with actual borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

As others have said, anything resembling "cheap" in Killiney is only Killiney in the vendor/estate agents mind. The price is usually because of its surroundings.

I have lived in Dalkey for 4 years and love it. My work has taken me to a few different parts of the island but I haven't found anywhere that I'd rather live permanently.

Being from a small town in the back of beyond I still find it amazing that I can enjoy the quieter side of life just 25 mins from the city centre.

The bars, cafes, restaurants are great and very welcoming (that goes for the area in general). Nice local shops and a decent supermarket.

I can't see kids being stuck for activities do as there is so much available within a short distance.

You don't get a lot of bang for your buck property wise but if the budget stretches far enough I don't think you'll regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As others have said, anything resembling "cheap" in Killiney is only Killiney in the vendor/estate agents mind. The price is usually because of its surroundings.

I have lived in Dalkey for 4 years and love it. My work has taken me to a few different parts of the island but I haven't found anywhere that I'd rather live permanently.

Being from a small town in the back of beyond I still find it amazing that I can enjoy the quieter side of life just 25 mins from the city centre.

The bars, cafes, restaurants are great and very welcoming (that goes for the area in general). Nice local shops and a decent supermarket.

I can't see kids being stuck for activities do as there is so much available within a short distance.

You don't get a lot of bang for your buck property wise but if the budget stretches far enough I don't think you'll regret it.

I could't agree more.

Reassuringly expensive I believe the phrase is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Ever noticed how big houses in Glasthule are often marketed as Sandycove?

I think Sandycove is becoming the new Killiney, in that it is more a state of mind than an area with actual borders.

Sandycove is very much a state of mind, if these tshirts on sale in Fitzgerald's are anything to go by

http://imgur.com/a/AVIMz

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

uch wrote: »

an post have a site to see your correct postal address. On the one I checked in ballybrack village still has it in the address

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie

5 CHURCH ROAD
    BALLYBRACK
    GLENAGEARY
    CO. DUBLIN
    A96 X2F8

BALLYBRACK SHOPPING CENTRE
    CHURCHVIEW ROAD
    BALLYBRACK
    GLENAGEARY
    CO. DUBLIN
    A96 CD72

I visited all the areas, Killiney, Sandycove and Dalkey. I agree with many of you about Dalkey. Hopefully I can find something that fits my budget!!! thanks again to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

A lot of the boys from Dalkey and Killiney would get the DART to CBC Monkstown, Blackrock, St Andrews and even St Michaels. Clonkeen close by as well which would take a lot from the Johnstown Primary School and around Killiney/Cabinteely.

Advertisement