Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Offer Good deal or Not?

Options
  • 21-07-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I got this email from phonewatch, on the surface it looks like a good deal, but heard a few bad things about phonewatch so I am not sure, I have an old wired eircom phonewatch system at the moment, it still works fine, just not connected to any monitoring. I dont know anything about alarms so any advice would be appreciated.

Upgrade your alarm system for FREE!
    That’s right, we will replace your existing alarm system with our new easy to use Smart Security System which offers instant visual verification with motion activated sensors.

Having PhoneWatch means you get an instant response to burglar and smoke alarms, giving you total peace of mind.

Our monitoring and maintenance service is the best and most comprehensive in the industry. It includes:
    24 hour/365 day monitoring
    Emergency and Fire services response
    Always on monitored panic button facility
    Sensors with built in cameras, allowing for visual confirmation of a break in
    Labour and parts warranty for the lifetime of your system
    Battery warranty – covered for up to 3 years
    Complete component replacement of older parts
    Break in emergency repair service
    Unlimited system maintenance visits
    24 hour/365 customer and technical support
    Remote control of your system through the PhoneWatch alarm app

Please note the Monitoring and Maintenance contract is €38 a month and we guarantee that price for 3 years at a 36 months contract.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Why wouldn't it be free you are not buying anything, you only rent it.
    €38 a month for 3 years. That's €1368 just for monitoring. What do you do then in year 4 when the price increases.???
    You have no alarm that you own, you have no ability to shop around for a better deal etc.
    So your €1368 is dead money and you have nothing to show for it.
    Now it's either suck up their increase or buy a new alarm.
    Did I forget to mention the alarm will not activate untill after your are broken into.
    Your alarm gives you no protection while you are in the house and, most importantly, your alarm has cameras inside your home that are only visible to PW and not you.
    Never a good deal in my honest and professional opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

sorry I dont understand what you mean by it only goes off after you are broken into, does it not go off if someone tampers with your doors or windows?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No. Only internal protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The system you have, from a coverage point of view is far superior to their new offering.
    A system is made up of many components, you mentioned what you have is a wired one, I am assuming you have a HKC 8/ 12 control panel and that your windows have sensors on them.

So just to explain it to you.

With sensors and contacts fitted to external windows and doors aka perimeter protection, then when the system is switched on, an intruder will activate the system before he actually gets into your home.

Their new system will not be compatible with wired devices, their new offering is beams with cameras in them. You will probably get 2 or 3 of these, so coverage will be limited, unless of course you are prepared to pay a premium for extra coverage.
    Now the big difference here is, beams are using Passive Infrared technology, any movement above the ambient temperature in the coverage area will cause the unit to detect.
    Beams will only pick up an intruder after he has succeeded in getting into your home.
    As regards cameras, let me assure you that most intruders wear hoodies anyway so obviously a guy from marketing came out with that line, I am coming from security and reality. They might be able to see there is a guy with a hoodie in your home, problem is the guy will be in, taking your stuff and gone before anyone gets to your home.
    Regarding detective work afterwards, well being in the CCTV game as well, I can say that hoodies are very handy to avoid detection.

As KoolKid said above you will be throwing away money

My advice to you, if you want that system monitored again would be to get onto a few installers in your own area and see what your options are.

when I inquired further they said they would remove my old wired system and replace it like for like, but with my old system I can get anyone to maintain it or repair it . with the new one it could only be done by phonewatch, I told them where to go!

• Advertisement

If you replace like for like you would be paying a lot more. Monitoring charges are based on the number of devices.

ellobee wrote:
    when I inquired further they said they would remove my old wired system and replace it like for like, but with my old system I can get anyone to maintain it or repair it . with the new one it could only be done by phonewatch, I told them where to go!

Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

ellobee wrote: »

Like for like is not the case as they only use contacts on your windows.
    From your opening post you have a wired system in place. If you wanted new features then the best option would be to upgrade the control panel thats in place. If you let the new system go in you will not own the system if you decide to give up the monitoring and then will be left with nothing when they remove the rented system they use.

KoolKid wrote: »
    If you replace like for like you would be paying a lot more. Monitoring charges are based on the number of devices.
    The offer guaranteed €38 a month for 3 years, obviously after 3 years it could be any amount. I specifically asked how the system would work when we are in the house if its based on motion sensors and they told me my old system which they would replace like for like would still have working sensors on doors and windows. I think the main reason they want to replace my old system is that if i pull the plug after 3 years I cant go back to my old system. I might just have a look at upgrading the system myself, anyone know any good websites for advice and purchasing of new equipment.

Shop around. Any good licenced installers would be able to upgrade your system and offer you monitoring and maintenance at a far better rate.
    You would be able to get shorter contracts or even rolling contracts. You will own the system so you will be able to shop around and bargain.
    And you won't have the inside of your home viewable by strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭da6xsi

Our monitoring and maintenance service is the best and most comprehensive in the industry. It includes:

if they offer battery warrenty, labour and parts warrenty and unlimited system maintenance visits would that not just mean while its only them who can fix they will be fixing it all under warrenty should it go wrong so its always fixed for free save you ever dealing with or paying independants to get it done. surely much easier to have one system with every part of it under warrenty so your covered no matter what potentially goes wrong with the system.

if theirs still working sensors on the door and windows then whats the difference between how they work now and how it worked on your old system just curious here also picking a provider atm but we have no existing set up in place

KoolKid wrote: »
    No. Only internal protection.

on the website it says that as soon as the door or window detects movement the alarm sets of and also gives visual confirmation to action center so how is that different to older alarms out of curiosity

da6xsi wrote: »
    on the website it says that as soon as the door or window detects movement the alarm sets of and also gives visual confirmation to action center so how is that different to older alarms out of curiosity

Well from what I've been told from people on this forum with more knowledge than me on the subject. theirs only detects movement on the inside, so someone would have to be actually in the house before it goes off, whereas my old system would go off if someone starts tampering with a door or window on the outside. now from what I understand from phonewatch is that they are willing to replace my old system like for like so I would still have the same protection as my old system but the new system would only be accessible for maintenance and repairs by phonewatch.

if they offer battery warrenty, labour and parts warrenty and unlimited system maintenance visits would that not just mean while its only them who can fix they will be fixing it all under warrenty should it go wrong so its always fixed for free save you ever dealing with or paying independants to get it done. surely much easier to have one system with every part of it under warrenty so your covered no matter what potentially goes wrong with the system.
    yes it sounds good, but if their monitoring charge starts going up I have nothing to bargain with, no one else can touch their system so technically they can charge me what they like after 3 years

Well from what I've been told from people on this forum with more knowledge than me on the subject. theirs only detects movement on the inside, so someone would have to be actually in the house before it goes off, whereas my old system would go off if someone starts tampering with a door or window on the outside. now from what I understand from phonewatch is that they are willing to replace my old system like for like so I would still have the same protection as my old system but the new system would only be accessible for maintenance and repairs by phonewatch.

yeah its something youd want to be definitely clear on before purchasing alright.

yes it would only be accesible by phonewatch but their basically offering warrenty and maintenance for 3 years so no matter what goes wrong phonewatch will have to fix it for free which sounds better to me then having to use independant people if something went wrong.

monitoring charges cant go up in the 3 years and if at end of year 3 they do go up your contract is over anyways and your free to move to a new provider by looks of it.

Sounds reasonable to me but like yourself i think its best ask around and get some feedback.

[QUOTE

monitoring charges cant go up in the 3 years and if at end of year 3 they do go up your contract is over anyways and your free to move to a new provider by looks of it.

Sounds reasonable to me but like yourself i think its best ask around and get some feedback.[/QUOTE] No, if I come out of the contract after 3 years, I have to get a new system, no one else can access the phonewatch system, thats why they want to replace my old system instead of just installing theirs and leaving my old one in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Have you a working bell box outside with your existing system ? You won't have the option to have one with the new system

The lifetime warranty is deceiving . Its their equipment , not yours, of course they have to look after and repair it.
    Would you pay for repair on your rental car if it broke down??:confused:
    Also they have in the T & Cs if the same model is not available you can be charged for a new one . (YES TO RENT A NEW DETECTOR)
    Yes you can move to another provider after 3 years or if they breach contract in any way. But its all irrelevant as you wont have a system to move to another provider.:confused:

da6xsi wrote:
    yes it would only be accesible by phonewatch but their basically offering warrenty and maintenance for 3 years so no matter what goes wrong phonewatch will have to fix it for free which sounds better to me then having to use independant people if something went wrong.

€ 1,368 over 3 years is a long long way from FREE.
    Money gone on rent that will not be owned by anyone but PW.

kub wrote: »
    € 1,368 over 3 years is a long long way from FREE.
    Money gone on rent that will not be owned by anyone but PW.

No offence but seems like your misleading people deliberately to suit your own involvment in the industry somehow.

I spoke to a rep and viewed a contract its only for 12 months so why you telling us all its for 3 years thats very misleading

You keep telling people you cant change the system but on any other system youd have to pay someone to service it or repair it so it works out cheaper than paying private small time fellas to come out and do a basic service when otherwise its free

So for 9 euros a week for 12 months i get a fully monitored warrented system that anything which could go wrong in only 12 months is fixed for free and i can get all the services done i want or maintenance on the system.

You keep making out like everyone changes their alarm system regularly when they dont if someone buys this tmrw for 300 euro and like you said keeps it for "3 years" im not going care at end if i have to buy a new system cos PW own theirs hardly going to begrudge a company over a 300euro cost over 3 years about 9 euro a month it works out hardly breaks the bank does it cnt see any normal person givin a **** that a 3 year old 300 euro product needs replacing people spend much more money on phones/tvs etc on regular basis so who cares if you cant keep the PW system at end.

who do you work for so? and why are they better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

So for 9 euros a week for 12 months i get a fully monitored warrented system that anything which could go wrong in only 12 months is fixed for free and i can get all the services done i want or maintenance on the system.

When you say all the services you want, it's only if their is a problem with your alarm.
    I'd expect if something went wrong in the first 12 months it to be covered under warranty, having to pay for the privilege is wrong.
    Service plus contracts like this are a money spinner IMO, how many times would you say a device or devices would need to be replaced in 3 Years?

No offence but seems like your misleading people deliberately to suit your own involvment in the industry somehow.

Oh this thread has come alive, have i touched a nerve? You seem to be taking it very personally.
    So lets begin shall we? I am simply telling it as it is, I am in this industry long before Telecom Eireann got into bed with Nynex.

I spoke to a rep and viewed a contract its only for 12 months so why you telling us all its for 3 years thats very misleading

I would respectfully suggest please that you get your facts right and please read the last line of the opening post on this thread, actually read it a few times just in case.

Oh and I did not write the Opening Post either.

Your not buying it. You don't own anything. So the installation charge for an hours labour is €400, €500 or what ever this weeks offer is.
    As its only rented you shouldn't have to pay for a lifetime warranty on parts and repair. Would you rent a car & then pay an ongoing charge for maintenance & repair?
    Would you rent a house & then pay a second payment for repairs etc?
    So thats €468 a year just for monitoring. Almost every other licenced company would be a fraction of that.
    The contract length is irrelevant anyway as you are tied to PW as no one else can service, repair or monitor this system.
    Would you buy a car under a condition that you must buy your petrol & all parts from the same place?
    Ho do you define they are better. ?
    Any professional in the industry will tell you that system is the basic of the basic.
    The system can't be set when you are in the house & it will only activate after someone has gained entry and is in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Not in the industry but when you purchase a product do you want to be tied into the one supplier.

I prefer not to be and have the ability to have a variety of suppliers that I can choose between to service / upgrade my alarm based on cost or quality or a combination. I am not tied into a contract with one provider.

Do the research like the guys on here suggest and make an informed decision with all the facts both during your contract and afterwards.

After doing this I very much steered away from phonewatch.

You keep telling people you cant change the system but on any other system youd have to pay someone to service it or repair it so it works out cheaper than paying private small time fellas to come out and do a basic service when otherwise its free

Will you please point out where it is that " I keep telling people that they can't change system "

Now I think you had better get your hands on the small print of whatever documentation you were reading.

Just in case you do not know here is the meaning of the word Free:

free
    friː/
    adjective
    adjective: free; comparative adjective: freer; superlative adjective: freest
    1. 1.
      able to act or be done as one wishes; not under the control of another.
      "I have no ambitions other than to have a happy life and be free"

• able or permitted to take a specified action.
        "you are free to leave"
        synonyms:able to, in a position to, capable of; Moreallowed, permitted, unrestricted
        "people are free to choose where they wish to live"

antonyms:unable

• (of a state or its citizens or institutions) subject neither to foreign domination nor to despotic government.
        "a free press"
        synonyms:independent, self-governing, self-governed, self-ruling, self-legislating, self-determining, self-directing, non-aligned, sovereign, autonomous, autarkic, democratic, emancipated, enfranchised; Moreself-sufficient;
        historicalmanumitted
        "a citizen of a proud free nation"

antonyms:dependent

• historical
        not a slave.
        "the poor among the free men joined the slaves against the rich"

• denoting an ethnic or political group actively opposing an occupying or invading force, in particular the groups that continued resisting the Germans in the Second World War after the fall of their countries.
        "the Free Dutch, Free Polish, and Free Norwegian fleets"

2. 2.
      not or no longer confined or imprisoned.
      "the researchers set the birds free"
      synonyms:on the loose, at liberty, at large; Moreloose, unconfined, unbound, untied, unchained, untethered, unshackled, unfettered, unrestrained, unsecured
      "a known child killer is still free"

antonyms:captive

• not physically obstructed or fixed.
        "he tried to kick his legs free"
        synonyms:unobstructed, unimpeded, unrestricted, unhampered, unlimited, clear, open, unblocked More"the free flow of water between adjoining tanks"

unattached, unfastened, unsecured, unhitched, untied, uncoupled, not fixed, detached, loose
        "she caught the free end of the rope"

antonyms:obstructed, attached

• Physics
        (of power or energy) disengaged or available.

• PhysicsChemistry
        not bound in an atom, a molecule, or a compound.
        "the atmosphere of that time contained virtually no free oxygen"

• Linguistics
        denoting a linguistic form that can be used in isolation.

3. 3.
      not subject to engagements or obligations.
      "she spent her free time shopping"
      synonyms:unoccupied, not at work, not working, not busy, not tied up, between appointments, off duty, off work, off, on holiday, on leave; Moreidle, at leisure, with time on one's hands, with time to spare;
      available, contactable
      "he will be free at the weekend"

antonyms:occupied, unavailable

• (of a facility or piece of equipment) not occupied or in use.
        "the bathroom was free"
        synonyms:vacant, empty, available, spare, unoccupied, untaken, unfilled, unused, not in use; Moreuninhabited, tenantless;
        informalup for grabs
        "he found a free seat on the bus"

antonyms:occupied, engaged, taken

4. 4.
      not subject to or affected by (something undesirable).
      "our salsas are free of preservatives"
      synonyms:unencumbered by, unaffected by, clear of, without, devoid of, lacking in; Moreexempt from, not liable to, safe from, immune to, relieved of, released from, excused of, exempted from;
      rid of;
      informalsans, minus
      "she was free of any pressures"

antonyms:encumbered by

5. 5.
      given or available without charge.
      "free health care"
      synonyms:without charge, free of charge, for nothing, complimentary, gratis, gratuitous, at no cost; Moreinformalfor free, on the house
      "elementary education should be free"

antonyms:paid for, expensive

6. 6.
      using or expending something without restraint; lavish.
      "she was always free with her money"
      synonyms:generous, lavish, liberal, open-handed, unstinting, giving, munificent, bountiful, bounteous, charitable, extravagant, prodigal "she was always free with her money"

antonyms:mean

• frank or unrestrained in speech, expression, or action.
        "he was free in his talk of revolution"
        synonyms:easy-going, free and easy, tolerant, liberal, permissive, indulgent, relaxed, casual, informal, unceremonious, unforced, natural, open, frank, spontaneous, uninhibited, artless, ingenuous; Moregood-humoured, affable, friendly;
        informallaid-back, unflappable
        "he was known for his free and hearty manner"

antonyms:strained, formal

• archaic
        overfamiliar or forward.
        synonyms:impudent, impertinent, disrespectful; Morefamiliar, overfamiliar, over-free, presumptuous, forward, bold, assertive;
        informalcheeky, cocky, pushy
        "the children were rather too free with us"

antonyms:polite

7. 7.
      (of literature or music) not observing the normal conventions of style or form.

• (of a translation) conveying only the broad sense; not literal.

8. 8.
      Sailing
      (of the wind) blowing from a favourable direction to the side or aft of a vessel.

adverb
    adverb: free
    1. 1.
      without cost or payment.
      "ladies were admitted free"
      synonyms:without charge, free of charge, for nothing, complimentary, gratis, gratuitous, at no cost; Moreinformalfor free, on the house
      "elementary education should be free"

antonyms:paid for, expensive

2. 2.
      Sailing
      with the sheets eased.
      "I kept her off the wind and sailing free until I had all square forward"

verb
    verb: free; 3rd person present: frees; past tense: freed; past participle: freed; gerund or present participle: freeing
    1. 1.
      release from confinement or slavery.
      "they were freed from jail"
      synonyms:release, liberate, discharge, emancipate, set free, let go, set at liberty, set loose, let loose, turn loose, deliver; Moreuntie, unchain, unfetter, unshackle, unmanacle, uncage, unleash;
      spare, pardon, reprieve, clear;
      informallet off, let off the hook;
      literarydisenthral;
      historicalmanumit
      "the government freed all political prisoners"

antonyms:confine, lock up

• release from physical obstruction or restraint.
        "I had to tug hard and at last freed him"
        synonyms:extricate, extract, disentangle, disentwine, disengage, disencumber, loosen, release, remove, get out, pull out, pull free, get loose, get free; Morerescue, set free
        "earthquake victims had to be freed by firefighters"

antonyms:trap

2. 2.
      remove something undesirable or restrictive from.
      "his inheritance freed him from financial constraints"
      synonyms:exempt, make exempt, except, excuse, absolve; Morerelieve of, absolve of, unburden of, disburden of;
      strip of;
      raredispense from
      "they wish to be freed from all legal ties"

3. 3.
      make available for a particular purpose.
      "we are freeing management time for alternative work"

Yea right, well you know what they say about a certain type of person and their money.

That to me is very expensive.

I would expect a 12 month warranty on anything electrical i have purchased.

Oh that is something I purchased, you actually don't purchase anything, just pay for the installation of a system you won't actually own.

But off with you, your rose tinted glasses are great.

You keep making out like everyone changes their alarm system regularly

No i don't, please point out to me where I keep making this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I forgot to add in that I pay 6/7 euros a month (I pay it every 6 months and can't remember it's so small) for a simple card in the alarm that pings a text to me and whoever I want if it goes off. I have an app that I can view on my phone wherever in the world that tells me the status of the alarm / zones + switch it on on or off. Yes I did have upfront costs for wiring and installing of wireless zones but I own the alarm and can have anyone service it.

• Advertisement

if someone buys this tmrw for 300 euro and like you said keeps it for "3 years"

Firstly the someone is not actually buying it, they are signing up to the most expensive monitoring service in this country, that equipment is not that 'someones '.
    Again it was the OP that firstly mentioned this 3 years you keep bringing up.

Advertisement