Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking son fishing

Options
  • 21-07-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

My son is 6 and wants to go fishing , ive never been myself in donkeys years , so i'd have to start with a small simple rod for him and me , or telescopic one , i've a few questions

1. Where do i apply for a licence ? Is that all id need ?

2. I live near the tolka river , is that a decent place to start ?

I know its been hit by polution and killed alot of fish , but i'm not into going to the sea or on a boat , just want somewhere local i can take him at the start and see if he likes it

Im in finglas area

Cheere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try the Canal, no need for license

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

try the canal... late evening, an hour or two before dark, use 2lb line, a 16 or 18 size hook with 2 maggots, keep the hook a foot off the bottom and ya should have no problem getting a few roach or perch,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find the sweetcorn works fine; maybe keep it in mind if the kid doesn't like the wriggling. Also; less mess, and they stay on the hook longer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

try the canal... late evening, an hour or two before dark, use 2lb line, a 16 or 18 size hook with 2 maggots, keep the hook a foot off the bottom and ya should have no problem getting a few roach or perch,

I remember my cousin brought me to a part of the canal up there years back and we got a nice few tench, is there still many in it? Was told me before there's an odd carp about too but duno if that was true or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Their still in it but not as many and not as big from what I've been told! You have to get away and off the beaten track time and effort to search for the fish! Anywhere that has easy access is a nono as it's probably been cleaned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Their still in it but not as many and not as big from what I've been told! You have to get away and off the beaten track time and effort to search for the fish! Anywhere that has easy access is a nono as it's probably been cleaned out.

Off the beaten track is the cure for a lot of places so

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Big fish kill in the tolka last week so don't bother. Canal just use maggots and a pen float. I'd suggest taking him to rathbeggan lakes to get him started and he will catch a trout to bring home and eat

you'd be surprised where there is a 10lb carp on the royal canal. its been caught twice in the last two years that i know of.

I remember my cousin brought me to a part of the canal up there years back and we got a nice few tench, is there still many in it? Was told me before there's an odd carp about too but duno if that was true or not

ye theres still a few knocking about on the grand, havent fished the royal at all this year, it doesnt throw up as much tench for me as the grand. if them f**kers learned to throw back fish instead of killing them all itd be great. id only have to dive 10 mins instead of 45mins to get some decent fishing lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Big fish kill in the tolka last week so don't bother. Canal just use maggots and a pen float. I'd suggest taking him to rathbeggan lakes to get him started and he will catch a trout to bring home and eat

Does rathbeggan have a bait pond or is it just the one general purpose lake? I have a 4 year old that I want to introduce soon. But patience would be in short supply. I just want to get him a fish to see how he responds.

Next stop then wrasse from the rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Sure does, ideal for a kid so they can experience catching a fish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Just thinking, if transport isn't a problem, there's a lovely little lake/pond near Edenderry where he'd be almost certain to catch something, think it's called Lough Aisling, they charge a tenner or so for a days fishing but it's very comfortable and easy to fish

21/25

Advertisement