Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modular homes - experiences?

Options
  • 21-07-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm seriously considering buying a modular home but I need to convince my husband 🙈Im looking for any advice and tips from anyone who has bought one or looked into it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From West

What size house are you thinking?

I was toying with the idea of a log house for a while
    http://www.coppolacabins.ie/crystal

Older thread with some info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758851

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm seriously considering buying a modular home but I need to convince my husband ��Im looking for any advice and tips from anyone who has bought one or looked into it

Can you post what your idea of a modular home is?

When you say modular, do you mean timber frame, timber clad, alternative clad?

Have you seen any examples in your area, and if not, why do you think that?

I haven't found a modular home provider that can supply a modular home that meets our Building Regulations at a similar or less price than traditional build.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

kceire wrote: »
    Can you post what your idea of a modular home is?

When you say modular, do you mean timber frame, timber clad, alternative clad?

Have you seen any examples in your area, and if not, why do you think that?

I haven't found a modular home provider that can supply a modular home that meets our Building Regulations at a similar or less price than traditional build.

I was expecting you post any second to dash any hopes :pac:

I like modular homes and the ideas one can apply to them, but from readin here it seems that Ireland just isnt suitable due to building regulations as you say.

I was expecting you post any second to dash any hopes :pac:

I like modular homes and the ideas one can apply to them, but from readin here it seems that Ireland just isnt suitable due to building regulations as you say.

Its not that modular houses cannot meet the Building Regulations, they can with the proper design and certification, but to get this would push the cost above what a traditional house would cost.

Can you post an example of what you consider a modular house or modular system?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You cannot get more modular than a shipping container home

high-cube-container-homes1.jpg

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

100% agree.
    To get this to current building regulations will cost more, a lot more than building it using traditional methods such as timber frame or block. I have direct experience in this as there's only one container home built in dublin that complies. And that was a flagship build with money not an object.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

From West

What size house are you thinking?

I was toying with the idea of a log house for a while
    http://www.coppolacabins.ie/crystal

Older thread with some info
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758851

I realise that taste is personal but I think the exterior of that is simply grim, assuming built in Irish countryside as opposed to the middle of a forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^ I would also absolutely hate the idea of every single room leading off the central living area. 1) It would basically turn the living room into a big hallway, and 2) I certainly wouldn't want my bedroom or the bathroom to open out directly into the main living room. Hallways4lyfe!

Yes this was what I had in mind for modular.

I know it can be done, but I meant in a feasible manner.

Modular homes are supposed to be cheaper after all.

Youd wanna have a lot of cash to build one over a traditional house when its costing more.

Yes this was what I had in mind for modular.

I know it can be done, but I meant in a feasible manner.

Modular homes are supposed to be cheaper after all.

Youd wanna have a lot of cash to build one over a traditional house when its costing more.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/interiors/seven-shipping-containers-become-a-family-home-1.2983804%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but how did they then manage to get the building properly approved if it is so expensive to do so with modular homes? It is still half the price of the same size traditional house according to the article

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but how did they then manage to get the building properly approved if it is so expensive to do so with modular homes? It is still half the price of the same size traditional house according to the article

Bespoke structural design.
    Bespoke insulation design and certification.
    Build cost of about €2800 per square meter before levies etc

At the time of writing, the works were still not complete and access works still required.

The engineering and sign off was complex and tough to get someone to do. The containers had to be brand new for the engineer to even consider structural alterations and modifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

were would you put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Modular homes will be more expensive unless hundreds of them are being built. Considerably more is spent on design, detailing and setting up off site construction. The economies of scale only come in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Post like this should really ask...Has anyone one found a way of proving housing for themselves that is considerably cheaper that conventional housing and manages to both comply with building regulations and get planning permission with out adding extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gal123

I am currently living in a 2 bed modular home measuring 52ft x 16ft which is pebble dashed and is essentially a small bungalow. Any questions, let me know. If there is any interest, I will be selling in the next 6-9 months as I need a bigger house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Gal123 wrote: »
    I am currently living in a 2 bed modular home measuring 52ft x 16ft which is pebble dashed and is essentially a small bungalow. Any questions, let me know. If there is any interest, I will be selling in the next 6-9 months as I need a bigger house.

How do they hold up with bad stormy weather?

Advertisement