Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live main supply to 'disconnected' house

Options
  • 21-07-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

I had the supply to an old house disconnected 2/3 years ago as theres no-one living in it. An ESB linesman called out and spent a few minutes at the fusebox in the kitchen. Job done.

Problem is I'm doing some building work on the house now and the main cable coming down from the ESB pole, across the wall and into the fusebox is still there, and I assume, very much alive.

I've called the ESB about how to go about moving this with them and of course the process is convoluted, expensive and inconvenient, basically involving reconnecting the service, getting assigned a new MPRN and then paying a hefty fee to move the cable out of the way and or disconnect the service at the pole.

Is it possible to get an electrician to handle this job so the cable can be made safe for the other work to continue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Nope. The cable is actually the property of ESB networks and any interference with this is subject to prosecution. You could ask ESB to disconnect the cable and give you a temporary supply to carry out your building work, then reapply for an "alteration to service" when your finished the work. If you can live without power while the building is going on just ask them to disconnect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Nope. The cable is actually the property of ESB networks and any interference with this is subject to prosecution. You could ask ESB to disconnect the cable and give you a temporary supply to carry out your building work, then reapply for an "alteration to service" when your finished the work. If you can live without power while the building is going on just ask them to disconnect it.

Ive no need for power at the house at all. That's the problem. The process outlined to me was to basically get a new MPRN assigned and THEN go about requesting the cable be moved. All this is going to take time and at the end of the day, I don't want or need the service reinstated. They're basically saying they can do nothing until the account is live again. Which is 2/3 weeks wait.

Advertisement