Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older car owners, where did you get your insurance?

Options
  • 21-07-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

I just received my renewal quote on my 2001 325ci, it's just shy of 1,000 quid. Not too happy, but I'm not exactly surprised. Does anyone have any suggestions for brokers or insurers? The car covers very little mileage (under 5k km). I have wondered if it would be possible to insure under a classic policy, but I understand you generally need a second daily driver for this. I have over 6 years NCB, no claims and three points which expire in November.

Damn insurance companies.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I use first ireland brokers for my classic insurance, but you may have missed the boat as they just changed their criteria from cars needing to be 15 years or older to now needing to be 20 years or older, but I'd still give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a thread for >15yo cars with many quotes etc

I got a quote of 800 something for a 1999 2litre Saab turbo from Liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

One thing that I have noticed for a few people with older cars (where they are used as their main car) is that they are effectively handcuffed to their current insurers.

In other words if you look for a quote elsewhere you will not get one or will get one that is effectively a non-quote and so you stick with what you have expensive though it may be.

One thing that does worry me slightly is that even if you intend to stick with your present insurers could they elect as a mater of underwriting policy or such like to decline to renew your policy ? Could an insurer decide, for instance, that they are not going to offer cover any longer to cars over 20 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Could an insurer decide, for instance, that they are not going to offer cover any longer to cars over 20 years ?

No.

But they might give you a non-palatable renewal figure with effectively same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    One thing that I have noticed for a few people with older cars (where they are used as their main car) is that they are effectively handcuffed to their current insurers.
    Not all, I change every year even with 15+ car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

biko wrote: »
    Not all, I change every year even with 15+ car.
    What companies are you getting quotes from

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

What companies are you getting quotes from

Thanks

Allienz, aig, axa normally through my broker first ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So I got my insurance in the end. 123.ie ended up being the best, €804. And to be honest all others were complete madness. Ranging from 1100 to 2500+.

Car: 2001 325ci
    Points: 3 (1 speeding ticket almost 3 years ago, expires Nov)
    No other named drivers

Cheers for the help lads.

mine went down ,just got the renewal

was expecting the worst but 500 euro car is 99 reg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

mine went down  ,just got the renewal

was expecting the worst but 500 euro car is 99 reg
    who with?

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »
    who with?

Post insurance/aviva

No points Full NCB thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not quite as old as yer ones but got quoted 950 on a 10 yr old passat, up 250 from previous year with fbd got it knocked back to 730. Full ncb fully comp with open drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Have a BMW '00 318ci. 420 last year with 123. 583 renewal. Fully comp with bonus protect, breakdown, keycare, windscreen etc. 6years no claims, no points. Thought I'd get it down a bit. Rang most places and didn't get under 1000! Most were 1200. 123 seem to be the best bet for over 15 years old. Tried a fresh quote with 123 for comparison and it was €800~.

Why bother with fully comp

I was told here that it's not worth having for an old car

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Why bother with fully comp

I was told here that it's not worth having for an old car

It was only an extra 100 and that's without windscreen and keycare so probably 50€ more.

Advertisement